Smallest travel box

billyk

Guru
The wheels will be the limiting factor. Long ago I traveled with my Q559 in a plastic hard shell suitcase that was airline-legal (not oversize), but those 559 wheels are smaller than 650s I think. They barely fit in. Very awkward packing wheels!

Paruig

The wheels will be the limiting factor. Long ago I traveled with my Q559 in a plastic hard shell suitcase that was airline-legal (not oversize), but those 559 wheels are smaller than 650s I think. They barely fit in. Very awkward packing wheels!
Yes, I am thinking of switching to 559 wheels for that reason.

2whluge

Not CB, but to fit my Bike Friday tandem in its cases, I have deflated the tires, and on one trip, took the tires off to get a better fit.

blaksmth

I also have a Surly Long Haul Trucker, 26in. tires and with couplers on the frame, and when I received my Q45 I was able to fit both 650B wheels with mostly-deflated tires into it's airline-legal case. Not clear that there was enough room to fit in the rest of the bike though. BTW, I don't know if it's urban legend, and I'm somewhat skeptical because baggage compartments are generally pressurized, but I've read that you should always at least partially deflate tires before sending on a plane. I always do and have never had an issue.

Paruig

I also have a Surly Long Haul Trucker, 26in. tires and with couplers on the frame, and when I received my Q45 I was able to fit both 650B wheels with mostly-deflated tires into it's airline-legal case. Not clear that there was enough room to fit in the rest of the bike though. BTW, I don't know if it's urban legend, and I'm somewhat skeptical because baggage compartments are generally pressurized, but I've read that you should always at least partially deflate tires before sending on a plane. I always do and have never had an issue.
What airline-legal case do you have?