SofRider Bottom Bracket Replacement?

I am suffering from a loud creak in my Sofrider drive chain following a recent tour. I've cleaned and reinstalled my cleats and pedals to no avail, so am now changing out my bottom bracket, with the intention of replacing the current bottom bracket with a new, sealed cartridge. I bought a Shimano BB-UN55 based on online research (mostly on the Park Tools website), but the threads on the new bottom bracket will only screw in a few turns before binding, as if the fittings are too large for the opening.

Anyone know what bottom bracket I should be using instead?

Thanks, Dave

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i put an fsa in mine (its what was on my shelf) but i also removed the stock crank, and it has an ultegra triple now.
i do recall it binding a little part way in and i also recall i checked and there were adequate threads, so i ran it in and out with lube several times. went in fine

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
68mm English thread. The BB you use will be dependent on the cranks as well - and for a square taper it needs to be the right width. If you are keeping the same cranks make sure to match the spindle width (I cant recall what it was stock off hand)

Robert

Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out that the Shimano BB-UN55 does indeed work, I don't know why it would not screw in the first 14 times I tried. Unfortunately, the creak still persists; any ideas what might be causing it now that I have cleaned and/or replace my cleats, pedals, cranks, and bottom bracket?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Creaks and squeaks are 'fun'!
Check your spoke tension on both wheels;
are the wheel bearings greased? Are you sure? How about the bearing seats in the hubs (sealed bearing outer races should not be moving inside the hub)?
Fine.
Now check your seat pans, seat bolts, and seat brackets. Check those bolts that fasten the (seat halves) pan to the back first.
On to the suspension, now.
Are the pivots greased?
How about the clamps around the TFT and the steering mast?
That'll get you started, get you thinking!
Good luck!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
This can come from the pivot clamp. It's hard to locate because the sound travels along the frame and is amplified by the tubes. Back out the pivot clamp bolts and grease the pivot axle and the contact points between the clamp and the yoke for the adjustable front tube.

Also, verify that the brass bushings on the pivot clamp for the axle are present and lubricated.

I've seen this before on mine.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
My most recent creak (and like most people I have a long history of bike creak detective work) was coming from the interface of cleat and pedal. I use Shimano mtb cleats/pedals and the metal on metal creak was driving me crazy. Solution? About every 3rd or 4th ride I dot a little 3 in 1 oil on a rag and wipe it on the pedal surfaces - both sides for 2 sided pedals. Have not come up with a longer term solution. Thought about a few small tabs of duct tape.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My most recent creak (and like most people I have a long history of bike creak detective work) was coming from the interface of cleat and pedal. I use Shimano mtb cleats/pedals and the metal on metal creak was driving me crazy. Solution? About every 3rd or 4th ride I dot a little 3 in 1 oil on a rag and wipe it on the pedal surfaces - both sides for 2 sided pedals. Have not come up with a longer term solution. Thought about a few small tabs of duct tape.
It took me 6 months to finally find the squeak in the pedal cleat!!! Boy was I happy after that!!!! I now use beeswax/olive oil mix on the cleats contact points!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Will have to try the beeswax. Probably lasts longer. But if I go w the olive oil, I’ll have to get some of the cheap stuff. Not even to quiet a bike creak would I use my coveted Lebanese extra virgin stock.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
beeswax and olive oil, and you wonder why animals chase you. how about a little beef tallow to really get them interested?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
beeswax and olive oil, and you wonder why animals chase you. how about a little beef tallow to really get them interested?
That would be to get the hyena to bite the pedal instead of the fleshy part of the calves.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Will have to try the beeswax. Probably lasts longer. But if I go w the olive oil, I’ll have to get some of the cheap stuff. Not even to quiet a bike creak would I use my coveted Lebanese extra virgin stock.
If you use AUSTRALIAN Extra virgin Olive oil, the flavour will be superior if used for cooking, and the smell of the bees wax/olive oil will be amazing!!!!

As long as you do not burn it, and use a large pan with water in it to heat the pan with wax and oil in it!!!!
If using Beef Tallow, then dogs would chase more often!!!
And sitting low, compared to DF bike, more of you is within the bite zone!!!!!
What smell would put dogs off!!!!!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I have a really nasty crunching sound metal sound. It went away for one or two short rides after I cranked the crank down super tight. I am thinking my issue is related to replacing the bottom bracket with one that is supposed to be the same but doesn’t quite match perfectly ( shorter splines. ) Anyone ever run into that with Octalink?