Sofrider First Rides

pflyman

Just received my Sofrider late last week. I am approaching my mid-sixties and never had a reputation for exceptional athleticism. I am transitioning from a Raleigh hybrid. My first moments were scary, and I admittedly thought that I had made a costly mistake. I spent the next 15 minutes or so in the alley maneuvering slowly. I felt too shaky to tackle even lightly used roads so I transported the bike to a bike path and road about 3 miles...things improved dramatically. Day 2 I tackled the same hard surfaced bike path for about 10 miles...the first 1/2 against a 20 mph headwind gusting to 36. I routinely avoided winds like this on my hybrid. I live in S. Dakota so there isn't much in the way of protection from the prairie winds. It went extremely well. I no longer have problems with numbness in my hands. I was able to maintain a higher speed against the wind than I ever could achieve without considerably more effort on the hybrid. The last two rides were through town and included 11-12 miles on bike paths (hard surfaced and groomed gravel).
I am improving significantly. I still feel a tendancy to yaw when at speed and pedalling hard. For the time being, I am keeping my speed to a minimum. The three issues where I see the greatest difference are: lack of hand numbness, ability to deal with headwind, and comfort. I have done only little climbing but that has gone well thus far. I do avoid having to start uphill; otherwise, I am a happy customer.

Dave in South Dakota

Kim Tolhurst

well done so far

Hi Dave,
Yes well done so far. It may appear to me that from numbness is the hands came from gripping the handle bars.

If this is the case your persistance has done you well in starting. To continue and to come back to the basics as even the regulars do, try www.cruzbiking.com.au check, First Ride.

yours,

Kim.