Sofrider headset installation

rdl03

I just received a Sofrider I bought through the forum. The top part of the headset was disassembled as part of shipping.
There 1. a set of bearings. 2. a split tapered aluminum ring. 3. a top cap 4. a ring with a taper, that tightens with a hex bolt.
Is that the correct order to install, bottom to top?

After looking more closely, I think the right order is 1. bearings. 2 top cap, 3 ring with taper (pointing up) 4. ring with hex bolt - internal taper pointing down.

thanks!

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Does it say "Diatech" on the side? If so that is the older Diatech (DiaCompe) expanding headset cap:

Sadly I have been looking for 15 minutes now on the parts order to no avail. These headsets have not been used since the early 2000's by most companies. They were the rage in the late 1990's. The issues with them is that they eventually stop working as the materials wear and the "wedges" can't stay forced apart. The Lightning P38's also used this headset (maybe they still do if they had some ungodly large supply of them) but they are no longer made.

rdl03

Does it say "Diatech" on the side? If so that is the older Diatech (DiaCompe) expanding headset cap:

Sadly I have been looking for 15 minutes now on the parts order to no avail. These headsets have not been used since the early 2000's by most companies. They were the rage in the late 1990's. The issues with them is that they eventually stop working as the materials wear and the "wedges" can't stay forced apart. The Lightning P38's also used this headset (maybe they still do if they had some ungodly large supply of them) but they are no longer made.
Thanks for researching. It does say Diatech on the headset. Is it a standard diameter that can be replaced with a more standard headset when the time comes?
(And, for the record, the Sofrider has been a delight so far (it's currently attached to my smart trainer.).
On a different note - is there a lockout for the suspension? Don't see anything that looks like it could be one.