Sofrider V1 stem re-assembly

Hi, All,

A previous Sofrider owner sold and shipped to me a used Sofrider V1, with a few instructions for re-assembly, including this:

"The handlebar and stem were also removed. The screws are on the handlebar and the stem has the bolt in it. Be sure and adjust the tension on the stem properly. Be aware it has a star nut that take the pressure and that same nut tension applies tension the the headset."

The meaning of this may be obvious to me once I see the bike. However, are there pictures/instructions anywhere on this forum, or on the Cruzbike site?

Or, does anyone here care to offer more specific advice, instrutions, or pictures to help with this part of the reassembly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend!
David Hardt

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Dave,

The Sofrider V1 uses a fork with a very long steerer tube. There is a "star-fangled nut" installed into the top of the tube, like any threadless headset would use.

The adjustable stem that attaches to the steerer tube is a little unusual in that in addition to having two cinch bolts on the side like most stems, it also has, entering the stem from the top, the bolt that is used to adjust the headset bearing tension. If you turn the stem to the horizontal position you can see the head of the bolt (allen-head cap screw).

IMG_2408a.jpg

IMG_2409a.jpg

IMG_2410a.jpg

So the assembly goes:

- install the pivot clamp on the steerer tube over the upper headset bearing.

- install the spacer sleeve over the steerer tube on top of the pivot clamp.

- install the stem on the steerer tube over top of the spacer sleeve.

- screw the allen head cap screw into the starfangled nut.

- adjust the allen head cap screw (tighten) until the headset bearings feel right.

- tighten the two pivot clamp cinch bolts (at the bottom of the steerer tube.

- verify the stem is straight.

- tighten the cinch bolts on the stem.

- tighten the allen head cap screw in the top of the stem until it's snug (this is just to keep it from loosening - once you tighten the pivot clamp cinch bolts, the allen head cap screw's job is done).

Once you've been around the block a few times, you may want to recheck the headset bearing tension.

If you're unclear about any of these terms, just let me know - the pivot clamp is unique to the Cruzbike, for example.

Best,

Doug,

Wow! Thanks for the reply, the pictures, and the instructions. If that doesn't help me, I'm not sure what else will. So I will use all that info, and let you know if anything is missing or unclear.

Thank you very much.
Best wishes,
David

mi7d1

Hey Doug, thanks for the lesson. My headset was loose when I purchased my used Sofrider. I've never had a threadless head set before. looks like I did the adjustment wrong. I thought that the cap screw at the top of the stem was for the angle adjustment of the stem. I did change the angle of the stem so in the end it appears that it all worked out right. I'm going to have to go out and give this a try now.