Sofrider Zwift project

Rat Rider

First, let me thank ReclinedRider for the very nice Sofrider frame donation to my project. Further, he packed it so brilliantly, it must be noted somewhere for posterity. Anyone who knows my dodgy recumbent history would know - I am an expert on packing recumbents. Well done ReclinedRider.

The working theory for this little experiment is: The shorter chain line of the Cruz should be superior to the 2.x chains of the Barcroft Virginia trainer, or its replacement a RANS Enduro.
Issues and hypotheses.
1. I have piloted a couple of Cruzbikes previously and really didn't get on with the seat.
2. I can replace the seat with a hardshell.
3. The Cruzbike seat might be OK if it is more upright. (the previous bikes were a Silvio and a V)
4. Since weight is not an object, I can bodge together using whatever materials to get what I want.

Rat Rider

The first question answered. Mounted the hardshell - extreme bodge!- unfortunately, the seat in relation to everything else caused the mast clamp to rub my inner thigh on every pedal stroke. FAIL!

20200411_132553.jpg 20200411_132613.jpg 20200411_133725.jpg 20200411_133711.jpg

Rat Rider

Phase 2
Installed and rode around in the land of Zwift briefly. Anecdotally, the transmission of power (such as it is) seems to be more immediate. I experienced some discomfort with the seat. I may try to add a bit of length and width to it. The seat always seems to bury its nose in my spine. It also is tall. Didn't anticipate that. I plan to ride it this way for a few days then troubleshoot some more. Observe the removed shock and handbuilt rear wheel.

20200411_192332.jpg 20200411_203702.jpg

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Nice. Betting you widen the rear base just a little more to keep it from moving (I did). It will be interesting to see if there is a power gain.

Rat Rider

Nice. Betting you widen the rear base just a little more to keep it from moving (I did). It will be interesting to see if there is a power gain.
I noticed it swimming around a bit. Getting off center will drive me completely nuts. Will probably employ a little velcro in this "try before you buy," phase.

Rat Rider

Last upgrade for today. A worn out seat pad from a RANS sling mesh seat. An old piece of carbon for this purpose, originally on a Bacchetta seat. I know I should throw stuff away, until days like this...

BTW without taking it apart to find out on my own, can someone tell me if the headshok/suspension on the fork can be removed? I'd like to lower the front. THX

20200412_154045.jpg 20200412_154100.jpg

Last edited:

Rat Rider

Well, the seat is better. But it is still not what I want to ride every day. I will continue to futz with it.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Phase 2
Installed and rode around in the land of Zwift briefly. Anecdotally, the transmission of power (such as it is) seems to be more immediate. I experienced some discomfort with the seat. I may try to add a bit of length and width to it. The seat always seems to bury its nose in my spine. It also is tall. Didn't anticipate that. I plan to ride it this way for a few days then troubleshoot some more. Observe the removed shock and handbuilt rear wheel.

View attachment 9201 View attachment 9202
A cut down Milk container could be better than a pile of wood planks?
I think the seat back should be at 28 or 21 degrees, so similar to the V or S!!!!
The new high performance rear shocker, could be shortened!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Last upgrade for today. A worn out seat pad from a RANS sling mesh seat. An old piece of carbon for this purpose, originally on a Bacchetta seat. I know I should throw stuff away, until days like this...

BTW without taking it apart to find out on my own, can someone tell me if the headshok/suspension on the fork can be removed? I'd like to lower the front. THX

View attachment 9204 View attachment 9205
That addition to the standard seat back LOOKS very comfortable!!!
Is it?

Rat Rider

Behold, the CruzRocket -A RANS Rocket and Cruz Sofrider mix. So far so good.

The Rocket frame was donated by my very good buddy Kelvin at Angletech. The frame was a cull, but perfect for my project. I have to admit to a fair bit of trepidation cutting the nose off of it. The drive train was formerly ReclinedRider's Sofrider.

I do not plan to use the rear wheel, I will build up something and use a fork mount. The only issues I have are - the darn thing is very tall, and the rear end seems to move about. I built a step for the first issue and I hope the fork mount takes care of the other. I may also have to bind the trainer to keep it from dancing about too.

Stay tuned.

RANScruz1.jpg

Last edited:

Rat Rider

I wanted to post the final iteration of the CruzRocket dedicated trainer. I think I am through tinkering for a while. The bike and trainer improved a great deal by wedging (actually used "L" bracket to keep it from moving back/forth or side/side) it to the platform and by adding the supports to the seat braces. The rear end is held in place by HD Velcro. The bike is very stable and quite stationary. Offsetting the pivot at the headset was the main issue. The bike and trainer were apt to swim a little under heavy pedaling.

(If someone were to create) A dedicated FWD trainer w/o the headset would be a winner. A shorter fork would lower the front end. Making the entire thing out of square tubing, or something heavy, would make it cheap-er. In the picture, the square tubing seat braces are just plain old mild steel. They were easy to fashion and weigh a ton. But, who cares? The rear doesn't need anything complicated (no chain stays or anything like that), just a couple legs to rest on and a place to bolt the seat support.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 2.33.31 PM.png

Rat Rider

That addition to the standard seat back LOOKS very comfortable!!!
Is it?
The seat is a Thor. I convinced the guy to combine two of his models, so essentially I have a standard "L" fiberglass seat with shoulder supporting wings. Very comfy BTW.

Kufman

View attachment 9204 View attachment 9205

I need something like your shoulder bracket for my V20. Do you still have the one that was mounted to the sofrider seat?