Some Ideas from a Noob about Getting the Hang

xkred27

I'd like to use this post to provide encouragement to new owners of Cruzbikes who are struggling. I am not an athlete, do not play one on TV, and have no great sense of balance. I've never been able to ride no-hands on an upright bike. Hell, I can't even do that rolling dismount where you plant one foot on one pedal, then swing the opposite leg back and over the rear of the bike. The first time I skied was also the last. My current main bike is a recumbent, though, so I've had that advantage.

I have ridden a Silvio twice now, once for about 10 minutes last week, then a full hour yesterday non-stop. In that short time, I gained tremendously in confidence. Based on those two rides, I've decided to buy a Silvio. Here's what helped me. It's nothing earth-shattering, but I hope it helps somebody out there. FYI, my test drives took place along the driveways between the garages at the storage facility that houses Spincyclz (http://www.spincyclz.com). Not "challenging" conditions, but certainly enough to test starting, stopping, accelerating, bump-jumping, and tight turns--most basic maneuvers except climbing. Advice:

1. Relax. It's not easy, especially when you're voiding the contents of your bowels b/c the bike is acting so weird.
2. Thinking about it is your enemy. Your body is wise; your mind will land you in a ditch. Does this sound too Zen? It is. I knew a Buddhist monk. One of his favorite sayings was "You're understanding will get you nowhere." True in the higher realms; mostly true here.
3. Practice individual maneuvers repeatedly. It turns out I was lucky to be confined to the driveways separating rows of storage garages. So there were a lot of repetitive maneuvers. I did a lot of laps. When I noticed that I had a much harder time making left turns than right turns, I did 10 or 20 laps, all counter-clockwise. By the end I was hammering through left turns. They still weren't pretty, but I had improved 100% due to sheer repetition, and b/c by the end, I had stopped thinking about the turn. Toward the end, I tried slaloming (i.e., going serpentine) along a straight stretch. It was new. It was hard. So there's a lot more to learn. But that's OK. So maybe new owners might want to go around the block 50 times. Then 50 times in the opposite direction. Then a little straight hill 50 times. Etc.
4. For me, the failsafe was taking my feet off the pedals. That way, I could focus on just one pair of limbs controlling the bike, not two. So if I started to freak out, I could put all my attention to the place it would ordinarily go to steer a bike: the handlebars. "Learn to steer w/ your feet", you say? I don't think so. Maybe someday.

At the start of the hour I went over a bump and my feet came off the pedals. Thought I was dead meat. At the end, my feet still flew off on that bump, but I was too busy picking my nose to notice. But no worries. Even with my legs in a full gyno spread and one hand, uh, occupied, I still had a free hand to steer the mothership. At the start of the hour, there was nobody around the storage facility but Spincyclz' Nanda Holz, me, and another customer, also test-driving. At first, I freaked when I encountered the other customer--even though the driveways were 50 feet wide. At the end, a number of people had shown up at the facility. There were parked cars, kids, trailers. I threaded my way through and around them. Again, I won't lie and say I was smooth, but I was out there. And most telling, I think, at the end of the hour I was ready to clip in. I didn't, but only b/c I'd met my 1 hour saddle time goal, and had reached a buy decision. Easily.

pagetuner

Some more ideas, from another newbie

... from my first thousand yards or so on my kit.

Others have suggested don't think about it, but what worked better for me was making sure that when my hands and feet disagreed, my hands won. The best early practice runs were on a long very slight downslope, where I could practice spinning without needing to have the pedals move the bike.

Another key issue was clearance. If there are any circumstances where your knees can bump the handlebars in a tight turn, either reconfigure your handlebars or be really sure you keep your knees to the center of the bike. Your old motorcycle move with the knee out to the inside of the turn is a big problem on a Cruzbike. I have no idea how the Silvio drivers can ever make a turn at all, with their knees coming right up inside the drop bars.

B.

William R. Kennedy
wrkennedy@gmail.com

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Re: Some more ideas, from another newbie

pagetuner wrote:
Another key issue was clearance. If there are any circumstances where your knees can bump the handlebars in a tight turn, either reconfigure your handlebars or be really sure you keep your knees to the center of the bike. Your old motorcycle move with the knee out to the inside of the turn is a big problem on a Cruzbike. I have no idea how the Silvio drivers can ever make a turn at all, with their knees coming right up inside the drop bars.

B.

William R. Kennedy
wrkennedy@gmail.com
If you watch old race footage, you'll see that most riders leaned through turns without hanging off,
throwing a knee out or the like.
Mike "the bike" Hailwood won the Isle of Man many times, and had an upright riding style.
This was due to the limits on traction imposed by the horrible skinny tyres, the spaghetti frames,
the rudimentary suspension and the limited power...
...HEY!
Just like a bicycle!

Serious;y, you brought up some good pointers, William.

-Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
For me, turning isn't so much about maneuvering the handlebar as it is using the handlebar for leverage to maneuver your hips. Play around a little bit just moving your hips side to side and see what it does to the path of the bicycle. Otherwise, like Yakmurph said, most turns are accomplished with a short countersteer and a lean.

Mark

Kamatu

The two things that got me, although they are really one, well, maybe we could say three... Anyway, the torque on the front surprised me, once you turn, it is fast. Same thing on turning, was doing fine today on my short little buzz around the mother-in-law's neighborhood going slow, then when I got cocky and up to as fast as I could push it on my one gear (tomorrow is learning click gear adjustment, I forgot the printout today. :roll: ), I tried to whip it around the turn with a little lean like I would on an upright. Woohoo! I did almost a 180 before I pulled it up.

The third is me, I'm used to powering out of trouble and at least while learning, that is a big no-no on a Cruzbike. You start hammering, you start going wobbly. If you try it on a hill, you do a nice circle. Of course, this is also related to the torque on the front to a certain extent...