Something better than hose clamps?

Bryanmcn

Is there something easier, faster and /or more durable that metal hose clamps to attach the seat? Maybe plastic zip ties or something (?)

Tarmac Terrorist

Bryan, I don't think plastic

Bryan, I don't think plastic zip ties are the answer for durability or safety . I have heard of people attaching the seat pan mounting bracket directly to the frame using screws.

Bryanmcn

No screws

The bike I convert can't be damaged as it will be reversed at the end of my vacation. I've practicing the conversion and I have the time down to less than an hour. The hose clamps get chewed up after a few uses but they're not that expensive so I'll just bring a couple of extra along. Cordless drill with the right driver for the clamps speeds up the seat placement. I'm thinking quick release clampsfor the head tube and maybe where the two pieces of the seat join. Any other suggestions are welcome

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Zip ties

We don't usually recommend them because they degrade in ambient ultraviolet light ofer time and will eventually fail. But if you can get wide ones, and if you can get them tight enough (they need to be VERY tight) then for short term use where they'll be replaced frequently, you're probably okay.

Try putting a small kitchen knob on the seat screws. You might need to change the screws to 1/4 inch to match the knob's thread, and make the screws a little longer to bite well.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Bryanmcn,
At some point, a

Hi Bryanmcn,

At some point, a video of your quick conversion would be cool. :D

Cheers,
Charles

Bryanmcn

Video

A video sounds like a good idea for me as well. Rather than 20 - 60 minutes hour I'll probably use a time lapse to keep it under 3. Does anyone have a Cruzbike conversion video out there?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Rather than 20 - 60 minutes

Rather than 20 - 60 minutes hour I'll probably use a time lapse to keep it under 3

That would be fantastic! Please, please, please, please, please... (Sorry, I have small children at home and have picked up bad habits.) :D

Bryanmcn

FD

I'm still waiting for a 34.9 mm front deraileur from my LBS but I will continue to practice the changeover till it arrives.

Doug - You said "Try putting a small kitchen knob on the seat screws. You might need to change the screws to 1/4 inch to match the knob's thread, and make the screws a little longer to bite well." - Do you mean like a drawer knob?

Bryanmcn

Video of conversion

Also posted as a new Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu-9yhDiqPw&feature=share&list=UUwzNpm5dokD8c2E178bZ7Bw

Haven't got the front derailleur yet but it will be a permanent part of the front triangle so it won't add to the time. It was recorded at 1 frame per second and is being viewed at 10 frames per second so the actual time is less than 20 minutes.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It's a great video!  Hey all

It's a great video! Hey all of you official Cruzbike people, I'd seriously consider putting this somewhere on an official page to show how easy conversion are.

I'm not exactly sure why, but this video just made my day!

Bryanmcn

And now ...

I just have to figure out how to ride the damn thing! There's snow on the ground here but I'll practice when it gets above freezing.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Knobs

"Doug - You said "Try putting a small kitchen knob on the seat screws. You might need to change the screws to 1/4 inch to match the knob's thread, and make the screws a little longer to bite well." - Do you mean like a drawer knob?"

The Quest 2.0 uses plastic equipment knobs to connect the seat shells. The same thing can be done with drawer knobs; that's how John prototyped this for the Quest.

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s218/db1488/