Super interesting video on disc wheels

piston9

Yes, I know the guy talking owns a wheel company - but I think it is worth listening to at least, for those thinking about a disc...

Summary - a rear disc wheel, in most conditions, actually makes you more stable in crosswinds.....

Don1

Guru
I like his channel I run 80s and indeed the bike feels more stable at 40kph than @25kph. Also, it seems the faster you go the more a cross wind yaw angle decreases. I have been impressed by the stability of the v20 against gusts, crosswinds and trucks. Certainly better than my road bike with 30mm depth rims in simmilar conditions. Now tempted to find the lightest wheel and cover it for the best of both worlds.

Don1

Guru
Although, I'm not sure if the cog moving rearward on a recumbent is good... Anyone who runs disc wheels?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I like his channel I run 80s and indeed the bike feels more stable at 40kph than @25kph. Also, it seems the faster you go the more a cross wind yaw angle decreases. I have been impressed by the stability of the v20 against gusts, crosswinds and trucks. Certainly better than my road bike with 30mm depth rims in simmilar conditions. Now tempted to find the lightest wheel and cover it for the best of both worlds.
I am with you on that Don. You might wanna look at Campagnolo Shamal Ultra C17, and maybe Shamal Mille. I had Zondas on my road bike for about a year, and then transferred them over to my commuter and they have taken a beating and are still working well, and I can imagine that the Shamals are even better. They are designed for 25-28mm tires, I believe that they can be ran as tubeless without tape even though they are not advertised as tubeless. I have run my Bullets as tubeless and the beds look exactly the same. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if the rim is deep enough for Monokote to stick without using some kind of tape for the Monokote to stick to. I tried Oracover, Japan's version of Monokote on my Sciroccos which are 35mm deep and the rim texture was such that it wouldn't stick. That could be because I'm a dunce, but check out a pair of Shamals in person.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I was thinking about a really shallow climbing wheel and using single layer carbon sheet maybe
I was going to mention the Campagnolo Eurus which just might be their lightest and most shallow wheel, but I don't think it is stout enough for anyone heavier than about 70kg. IIRC the Shamal Ultra is right around 1500g for a set, and my Bullets are about 2kg give or take. A single layer of CF would be very nice on Shamals IMO.

M.J

I am with you on that Don. You might wanna look at Campagnolo Shamal Ultra C17, and maybe Shamal Mille. I had Zondas on my road bike for about a year, and then transferred them over to my commuter and they have taken a beating and are still working well, and I can imagine that the Shamals are even better. They are designed for 25-28mm tires, I believe that they can be ran as tubeless without tape even though they are not advertised as tubeless. I have run my Bullets as tubeless and the beds look exactly the same. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if the rim is deep enough for Monokote to stick without using some kind of tape for the Monokote to stick to. I tried Oracover, Japan's version of Monokote on my Sciroccos which are 35mm deep and the rim texture was such that it wouldn't stick. That could be because I'm a dunce, but check out a pair of Shamals in person.
I think you need tape for Monokote to stick to anything besides itself. The heat activated adhesive isn't strong enough to adhere to anything else.
I use the super thin, super sticky tape that you would use to put plastic over a window in the winter. Works great and comes right off when I take the cover off for the winter.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
With black Oracover, Japan's version of Monokote, it sticks to my glossy spokes and to the glossy carbon fiber on my Campagnolo Bullets, but it isn't Monokote. I've been back to buy some more black but it isn't in stock so I bought some deep red but for some reason I can't get it to reliably stick to the spokes like the black does, and it won't even stick a little to the Scirocco rims. When the black Oracover finally needs to be replaced I'll try the red on the Bullet. If the red doesn't stick then I will put some plastic on it. I saw someone with CF weave patterned Monokote style covers but I haven't bought it.