T|_|rd gets polished in KS

ghglenn.ku

I purchased this bike (sans rear wheel) at a tax-seizure auction after reading about a conversion on the BentRider Online site. The frame is not optimum: heavy steel, double crowned fork and top tube position but it was inexpensive and a better frame may come along later. I thought about performing some surgery on it but realized that it would work to mount the Cruzbike seat bracket backwards and still keep the seat height at 30 in. or less (inseam of 32in.) A friend helped me swap the fork for a single crown non-threaded one from another X-mart bike. So now that the snow is melting, I'm having a blast learning to ride it. My knees are hitting the handlebar so I'll need to replace it and futz with the cables to refit them again.
Mongo_SEx.jpg width: 694px; height: 576px;

ghglenn.ku

a few questions to the forum...

Thanks for the the stem tip, Charles!
Fitting a 700c rear wheel: how does one fit the brakes? Or is it possible to add a disc brake?
The rear suspension shock: does moving it up or down change the geometry or mostly just the stiffness?

I'm mostly trying to lower the front end an inch or 2.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Looks like that shock length

Looks like that shock length can be adjusted, not its spring rate, so shortening the shock will draw the head tube to a lower angle. Explore this, once you can ride reliably in your favourite course, to tune the geometry to your preference.

Tarmac Terrorist

Adjustable Stem

Hi Charles,

Good tip on the that stem, I have bought and modified made 4 different stems trying to get the right setup (and look) I like the one you mentioned as it is 125mm where I have only been able to buy 100mm - 110mm ones and extending them (unsuccessfully). Has it been strong enough to handle the pulling pressures we put on our handlebars
TT

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi TT,
The stem has been

Hi TT,

The stem has been solid. I both pull on the handlebars as well as push on them and the stem is solid. It is not infinitely adjustable, but has teeth that set it in place.

Cheers,
Charles

Tarmac Terrorist

Adjustable Shock

Glen,

Looks to me that you can adjust the preload (stiffness) as well as changing the mounting point. Either way I can only see you effectively raising the front end from you current setup (ie. lowering the rear end and effectively the seat height). I also use the same adjustment to shorten the length of my shock for a more aero riding position or jacking it up for an upright position that makes the bike easier to handle at low speeds.

TT

ghglenn.ku

You guys are dope...

I love how the pogo is eliminated from these bikes post conversion.
Another question: what is the bolt for that is located inside the collar where the TFT joins the steerer?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
a safety measure

To pull the boom off the slider, the slider pivots and must point down pretty sharply. The bolt blocks this rotation, and so prevents the boom coming all the way off. This is important on the conversion, because the chainstay connections to the triangle brackets don't develop friction the way they do when connected to the sofrider/quest fork.