T50 at the 2022 TD Five Boro Bike Tour

JerseyJim

The NYC TD Five Boro Bike Tour was back on it's original date (first Sunday in May) and it was a gorgeous day. It was well attended - perhaps almost too well attended. Normally the number of riders is capped at 32,000. There was a rumor that over 40,000 were allowed in. While I can't confirm this, given some of the delays we faced due to volume induced bottlenecks along the route, I'd believe the rumor of 40k participants is plausible

I started in wave 4 (I believe there were 6 waves) so it's possible that those who were late for the first 3 waves contributed to the extra volume toward the back. In the Tour you can start in a later wave but you may not start in a wave earlier than the one you're assigned.

Aside from that, the event was a lot of fun. The tour was back to it's full glory with more entertainment and lots of rest and water stops along the route. It was a true party on wheels.

As far as recumbents, the trike community was well represented. Many of the trikes had e-assist. Actually I don't recall seeing a trike without an ebike system. Last year was the first year electric assist was allowed in the tour. Throttle ebikes were not allowed, only pedal assist.

As far as 2 wheeled recumbents are concerned, I only saw one other. I don't know if that was a result of my starting position or if there really were so few recumbents in the field of riders. I do know that after all this time, after riding recumbent bikes in public for 21 years in the New York Metro area, there are still people who have no idea what recumbent bikes are and have never seen one.

For those bold enough to ask, I answered many questions. I did my best to be a good ambassador for recumbents in general and for the Cruzbike T50 I was riding.

To all of the recumbent builders and to Cruzbike in particular, please, please, please do more to increase the profile of your company and products among the the casual cycling public. There's so much curiosity about these bikes and no one is out there speaking for them. I'm very concerned that 2 wheeled recumbents will die if we remain silent.

We tend to speak to each other, within our little community. We have a fantastic little community, especially here on the Cruzbike forums. As anyone new to Cruzbike can attest, the people here are extremely helpful and welcoming.

That's why I'd like to propose an idea for Cruzbike. The success of the annual Cruzbike retreats, race events, and other get-togethers demonstrate that there's plenty of interest in Cruzbikers congregating to share in their love of these machines. Perhaps, it might be possible to bring that love to NYC next year and ride along in force with 30,000 other riders. Perhaps some of those riders might become more interested in Cruzbikes if they see a group instead of one weirdo on a strange machine.

If you've read this far, please weigh in with an opinion. Do you think a group of Cruzbikers in a huge event like the Five Boro Bike Tour could raise the profile of Cruzbike, or is it wishful thinking?

Thanks,
Jim

118179_10058447_enm1408321459ram.jpg118179_10160911_enm3528687613ram.jpg118179_9981611_enm3405419767ram.jpg

As usual, thanks for a thoughtful post. I'm looking forward to the video on your Rando Recumbent YouTube channel.

We'll be giving a good showing at the BRAG in a month from now. I can envision having a Cruzbike team with matching jerseys passing scores of cyclists, making them reconsider the logical choice of riding with comfort and efficiency. I think I'll make some cards to pass out to anyone who shows interest.

JerseyJim

As usual, thanks for a thoughtful post. I'm looking forward to the video on your Rando Recumbent YouTube channel.

We'll be giving a good showing at the BRAG in a month from now. I can envision having a Cruzbike team with matching jerseys passing scores of cyclists, making them reconsider the logical choice of riding with comfort and efficiency. I think I'll make some cards to pass out to anyone who shows interest.
Yes, this the kind of thing I'm talking about. With the 5 Boro Bike Tour being just 40 miles, it's less intimidating than a multi-day event. NYC is also a great weekend vacation destination. Lots to do and see.

JerseyJim

By the way, Terry B posted the entire Five Boro Bike Tour, all 3 hours of his ride, on YouTube. I think he livestreamed it.