T50 water bottle option

JerseyJim

Hi everyone,

If you're looking for a water bottle for the T50 that can be mounted within easy reach and doesn't interfere with pedaling I'd like to recommend the Elite Crono CX Aero. I've used it for a few rides and I'm impressed at how well it fits and works.

The bottle is designed for time trial bikes. As a result it has a narrow cross-section that is barely wider than the riser tube. This means it fits easily within the cockpit without leg interference. It holds 500ml which is a standard bottle volume.

The bottle comes with a unique cage that is designed to fit this bottle. There is a reinforced plastic and a carbon fiber cage option. It does a great job to secure the bottle. I'd say there is no chance of this bottle bouncing out unless you're bouncing off the bike too. The only thing that you may experience is some rattle of the bottle in the cage. I put a couple of strips of black duct tape on the inside of the cage to remedy that. The bottle has been silent since.

The only part of the bottle that will need to prove itself is the cap. Rather than a conventional pull-push top, this bottle has an integrated silicone valve. It's actually pretty clever. It acts as a one-way valve, preventing liquid from spilling out if the bottle is inverted or squeezed with average pressure. However once you suck on the top you create enough force to open the valve and make the liquid flow. In effect it's a pressure dependent valve created solely by the geometry of the silicone. As I said, very clever and it works.

Time will tell how this holds up over the long haul. I'll be using this as a second water bottle with my first one mounted on the crank boom. That one is also within reach however there is nothing like just reaching right in front of you without changing your leg position.

Oh and it doesn't hurt that it's a good looking bottle and complements the T50. Have fun and stay hydrated.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_135159973.jpg
    IMG_20190223_135159973.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58

3bs

whereabouts unknown
those are not cheap. they are nice and great location. i have a std cage mounted similarly.

Opik

I just put my bottle in my pannier at the rear rack as my T50 was bought 2nd hand and customised, can't see any palce in the front that wouldn't be a bodge.

JerseyJim

The downside of having a bottle in a rear rack is that you can't reach it while you're riding. If you don't mind stopping to have a sip, then that's OK. I mostly do longer rides so on a brevet or sportif that's not always convenient. Here's where I keep my bottle on rides.
T50-waterbottle.jpg

That location is about the equivalent of the seat tube location on an upright. In both cases you have to stop pedaling to get to it but it's well within reach. In the photo I also have a Profile Designs aero top tube bag mounted on the riser where I keep snacks.
T50-Elite-Crono.jpg

This location is much more convenient. My main issue is leg interference for anything mounted on the riser, but this bottle stays out of the way.

Pricey? Yes. For a water bottle it costs more than a standard one. The lowest prices can be found on eBay where I paid about $24 with free shipping.

Is it worth it? For me, yes. For example, you can buy a much cheaper bicycle than the T50 that takes you to the same places but I prefer riding this bike. I needed a bottle that I could mount here without leg interference so the price was reasonable to solve this issue. For how I ride, having another bottle location that I can reach while on the go is important. If you stop when you need a drink then this subject isn't relevant.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
On my v20 I have two bottles in back of seat mounts that are connected by tube and then I have a hose. Would work on a t50 and give you more water for a fraction of the price.IMG_20190520_221611893.jpg

JerseyJim

Thanks, 3lbs. Actually when I do brevets I keep a 1.5l Wunjo bladder in my pannier bag mounted behind my seat with a hose over my shoulder. You can see that in my profile pic. In that I keep Maurten drink mix. I keep NUUN electrolytes in the bottle on the boom and plain water in the aero bottle on the stem riser. For randonneuring I'm often on the bike for 10+ hours and the events are self supported so it's good to have options when you might be far from a place where you can fill up.

I agree that there are all kinds of inexpensive hydration solutions. I'm sure that anyone looking to mount bottles on their Cruzbike will benefit from all of these choices.

Jim

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Hey Jim. You are using a t50 for rando?
How do you have it set up? Tires? Mech? Seat/ pad?
I use mine for rail trails and gravel roads and hard pack, but I have knobbies on it. I had not considered a t50 for rando or distance

JerseyJim

Yes, the T50 is my main bike so I use it for everything. In fact, I'm doing a 400k this weekend. The frameset including the seat and pad is stock. As far as gearing I'm currently running a Shimano Nexus 7 internal gear hub, with a a Microshift trigger shifter. It's a good setup for relatively flat events but I'm challenged by big hills with the current gearing so I'm switching to Alfine 8 and setting it up with a smaller top gear to get a couple more low gears. The only reason I didn't go with an Alfine to start with was because I already had the Nexus hub sitting around for years waiting for a project. I enjoy the low maintenance of internal gears and I think from a practical standpoint the lower efficiency is offset by keeping a straight chainline and a clean chain. There's an Alfine tensioner keeping the chain in check and an Alfine crankset and bottom bracket complete the drivetrain.

I built the wheels on Velocity Aeroheat 26" rims. I run 28mm tires. At the moment I have Continental Gatorskins mounted. They're pretty much road slicks. The smaller wheels take up less space and make the bike easier to transport. For brakes I have TRP Spyke discs. I found a disc brake adapter for the Nexus 7 from Germany that mounts where the roller brake normally goes. Promax V brake levers and locking grips finish the controls.

So far the drivetrain has been very reliable. Obviously the Shimano IGH systems are no Rohloff, but I can replace the Shimano hubs 6 or 7 times before I could buy one Rohloff.

For lights I use a battery based system. I'm still contemplating a dynamo. So far I've been able to do what I need to do with a 6 cell 18650 battery pack. It's the kind where you can replace the individual cells. I just carry spares. A Zefal Spy mirror and an Oi! handlebar bell complete the safety equipment.

For luggage I use a front pannier on my DIY seatback mount. It has enough room for the hydration bladder, tools, pump, tubes, phone, wallet, snacks, a rain jacket, and of course my brevet card. A Dom Monkii Mono bag lives under my seat on the stock water bottle mounts to hold my battery pack and spare batteries.

That's about it. It's set up to be simple and not fiddly. Sometimes people ask about only having 7 gears, but you can only use one gear at a time and as long as you have the right one, it doesn't matter how many others you're carrying. Yes, it's currently a challenge on a steep climb but when I switch to the Alfine, I should be OK for 90% of my riding.

What's great about randonneuring is that you don't have to use an expensive bike or something state-of-the-art. It just has to be comfortable and reliable. If you're trying to set course records, then yeah you're going to want something more sporting but the T50 will get you around the course very comfortably in the allotted time for a bargain price.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i need to do randos. there are plenty near me, but my big enemy is time. 3 young teens, day job and chores and i am out of time. i am lucky if i get to ride once a week and one bike trip a year.

i think the way you have that set up is ideal for what you are doing. internal hub setups once they are set up right are rock solid.

my t50 is peretty stock 1x8, discs, and big 26 knobbies. i really need more range, as i pedal the thing out pretty quick, and it climbs decent but not spectacular. but, for what i am using it for, it works. conflict is that i have lots of 2x and 3x hardware in my parts bin, but the bike really screams for a 1x12, so my practical side is in a conversation with my love to have cool stuff side.

i have put a 406 on the front just for experimenting, and once you do that, the bike is like riding my old sting ray. if this were my grocery getter in a beach town, that would be my setup with a big wire basket in back then when my balance disappeard i could put a fixed rear axle in the rear for dual tires. if i were using it as an urban commuter, i think twin 406 would be the trick.

the frame set is pretty versatile. i like seeing what people are doing beyond just the boom mod.