The International Tribe - Aren't we a bit quiet?

Just taking a look here at "The Tribe" on the webpage. Noticed that everyone there is USAnian, not a single foreigner to be seen.

I also had what I see as a negative comment about CBs international visibility last week.

I've done my bit - my last summer's tour of the Scottish Isles has been published in Audax UK's quarterly magazine - I'm a published author :D - and I'm trying to get either a weblink to it to publish here, or a copy of the published article.

Any other international riders getting themselves in the press, however large or small?

Last edited:

McWheels

Off the long run
We're not all Septics old chap! Except no one's interested in my dull commute, or the occasional jaunt as far as Bristol. Or for that matter the poverty-spec carthorse I drag round with me.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@ak-tux
Let me twist words for a while: You have helped and encouraged many cruzbikers and I dare say even had positive impact on Cruzbike sales so how I see it you ride a real cruzbike, just like John Tolhurst before he started the company. Your bike doesn't have a Cruzbike paint job and the beauty of the S40 frame however it advertises for Cruzbike but never cost the company anything in production costs.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
@ak-tux
Let me twist words for a while: You have helped and encouraged many cruzbikers and I dare say even had positive impact on Cruzbike sales so how I see it you ride a real cruzbike, just like John Tolhurst before he started the company. Your bike doesn't have a Cruzbike paint job and the beauty of the S40 frame however it advertises for Cruzbike but never cost the company anything in production costs.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Don1

Guru
present. but stand with ak with with diy but in aus. nearly everytime i ride i see people waving, thumb upping, phototaking. having to talk about what is it. these bikes at not for introverts! cruzbikes get real expensive to get to aus but maybe oneday....

OWNER SINCE: 2014

CRUZBIKE: Vendetta V2

TOP THREE RIDES

1 Tour down under challenge ride

2 Coast to coast (Glenelg to Victor Harbour)

3 Every ride I can get now I have 2 little boys that monopolise my time. I may not ride as far as I used to but I appreciate every ride I can get. Thanks to my understanding wife

TELL US HOW YOU CHOSE CRUZBIKE

I saw Jon Tolhurst on The New Inventors in Australia and immediately wanted a Cruzbike, however I had just purchased a road bike and could not afford to upgrade. A few years later my bike was stolen and needed a new bike so jumped on the Cruzbike train. I haven't looked back since.

TELL US SOMETHING INTERESTING ABOUT YOURSELF

I have twin boys and can't wait to get them into riding. I am a bit of a gear freak even if it's just lusting after tech I can't afford. I have been waiting years for power meter to drop and the stars to align.

DESCRIBE YOUR
CRUZBIKE LIFESTYLE

Prior to having kids I would commute 30km each way every day and then ride 80-120km on the weekend. Today I am lucky to ride 40km once a week, it's enough to keep my legs from completely atrophying. Hopefully when my boys grow we can ride more together. I am also considering getting a baby trailer to increase my ride opportunity.

TELL US WHAT A GENUINE
CRUZBIKE MOMENT
LOOKS LIKE FOR YOU

Anytime I am cruzing fastfon the on the amazing machine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KtBvgORsHeKNw7kX2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yWaAsCrhGJq1xsj86

Last edited:

Opik

I think Australians, as the birth place of Cruzbike, will have some. I'm Indonesian in Australia, and got my Cruzbike here

jond

Zen MBB Master
I met John Tolhurst and he signed my V2 frame now retired.

50,000 klm on vendetta mostly on road.

I saw that new inventors abc show too.

My tin lids are all adults and flown the coup.

Love riding the vendetta most of all the ten pushbikes I’m lucky to own.

Ride around 16 - 22 ,000 klm per year.

jond

Zen MBB Master
present. but stand with ak with with diy but in aus. nearly everytime i ride i see people waving, thumb upping, phototaking. having to talk about what is it. these bikes at not for introverts! cruzbikes get real expensive to get to aus but maybe oneday....

Buy secondhand mate.

Opik

So did a 100 kmish ride today.

First was a 7 km ride to the train station, 22 mins to catch the train to blue mountain. Had an argument with the train driver and had to move to the back as there were some electric equipment that he can't get access to if I'm there. then the 2 hour journey starts. Good thing it's a bent so I can still sit.
59616214_2242811385784059_6096671789948076032_n.jpg

In NSW, particularly near Sydney, it's great that many trains let you carry your bike. On the train I Checked in with the ride leader. Who also had some questions whether I would be good enough to catch up and follow. It even irked a MTBer who was with me, as he said that the ride leader kinda dismissed me. Im OK with it, as (1) It's a bent (2) it's T50 with a pannier. so not kinda the bike you bring with a group that has people with 3-8 K road bikes. But this group is more social and the age were more elderly so I think I should be OK. I also said we'll see how it goes and if I can't make it I'll just pull off.

59301595_2242816742450190_6246132610284650496_n.jpg

First course, is more about downhill from ~950 metres, but still has some sharp climbs. I used my T50 with panniers and Schwalbe Splicer, (heavy tire, because who wants to get punctures?). Descending wasn't too much of a problem but the climbing was a killer. A bit surprised as I can keep up on some climbs. The descending was designed so a car can get in, so 50-100 metres between the riders for this 950 metre descend from blue mountains.

We were going mainly through back roads, but at some times had to go to the highway and cross 2 lanes to get to the position to turn at traffic lights. Had to have the skills here. Richard, our leader, briefed us many times during the course, as some parts had to be carefully done. How we set ourselves apart, the slowest be near him, me second last with the sweeper, how to turn and when to go. all broken in small parts during our stops.

Kinda regret having heavy tires and not using a more lightweight bag. It seems I can't put more power into the pedals. The ride itself was quite beautiful, sadly can't use camera while riding. It's inda utumn to winter here are the sceneries were beautiful. It's also cool descending in a group through the roads. At one point, Richard said probably we would do gravel or MTBing out of the road shoulder of the highway, but thankfully it wasn't too busy.

Had stops at the cafe and a historical bridge. It's funny the potholes around the road were painted yellow and arrowed. Definitely be more aware when descending as a group, as we have to make the distance to let cars going, how to slow down or accelerate.
59353886_2242816619116869_7894441638586482688_n.jpg

We then go through parks and the bridge, with Shared user paths
59079176_2242817025783495_2569344866345549824_n.jpg

Beautiful bridge, but costs around 20 million. I think it's a good price as the other bridge footpath was so narrow and cars come flying fast.

The ride back was exhausting, in a feeling sense. This is a ride through busy roads, mainly through the shoulder, and there are parts where there was no shoulder at all or we have to mix with the traffic with these cars. Havin a mirror and vehicular cycling skill helps. I still kept up.

Then we had a lunch break. I ordered a small pizza, which took most of the time. My friends have already finished and was going to briefed when the Pizza was ready. Only ate half of it. This is when panniers came in handy. Richard also said he never saw someone ordering and eating as much as I do. Checked my Strava and it seems to be acting again. It always stops recording at some point. Was busy stuffing stuff when the group took off. But then catched up.

Really need to have a better route choosing as it was really a main road route with parked cars, intersections, roundabouts, high speed cars, traffic lights, etc. Relief came when we approached M7, the best engineered Shared user path in Sydney, beside the M7 motorway.

cont'd

Opik

At some stops, as ked some about the price of bikes, One said 3000, got it as replacement as his old one was broken, so the bike was replaced (guarantee works eh). One said 8000 (all in australian dollars). Kinda crazy really, hearing how prices of the bikes can be really that expensive. Also saw a Pinarello Dogma, but didn't ask what's the price.

That just fuels me to want to spend for another bike. Thing is while I want a bike that is fast, I want it to be comfortable and practical too. Something that can be used for commute and has storage. Someone in a FB group is going to sell his Velokraft VK2 for 2000 AUD. SO after listening to the prices of my friends bike, it seems 2000 is cheap after all. hahaha. But he's in Melbourne, and i've just bought T50, used, in January. And I kinda have a rule (not a hard rule) that at least have it for a year until you spend for another. But I did have bikes that I just can't get on with that resell less than a year (only buy used ones). But this is T50 that I use almost daily, replacing my old trusty Mongoose omega.

Back to the ride. I kinda bonked, can keep pedalling but it seems not fast enough at M7, was just in front of the sweeper. Probably because I ate too much. Took a rest, pumped the tires and go again. Tried breathing and having a relax pedalling. felt much better.

It also shows that every long distance ride, that is when you really feel what is the best with your body. How is the pedalling, how is the seat, how is your hand. how you position yur body, etc. I think I pushed the pedals too much and longer than I should have. I've also learnt more about pulling the handlebar and pushing against the seat.

Pulling the handlebar is a good technique to boost your pedalling power, just sometimes i forgot to up the gear so I just pedal in the easy gear. It also just takes a pull, so you don't nee to lift your body and straighten it, Pulling while lifting just 1 cm from the seat is ok and eats less energy, while putting much bigger power as it is a near reclined position so you pull with much power. Looks like I did too much sitting upright while pulling the bar for acceleration in the early parts.

2nd is the pushing against the seat, not too much effective as the seat is quite reclined and not upright, but pushing with your back still helps, as it can be done for a longer period compare to pulling the handlebar.

At one point I was just exhausted on climbing and the wheels sometimes slip. So I positioned myself more forward, so forward that the edge of the seat was touching my back and I used the heels to pedal. I think one secret Cruzbike climbs well is because it is front heavy (as the components like Cassette, chain, chainring, etc are at the front), so putting myself in a more forward means it is more front heavy, so less wheel slip and climbs better, that was what I felt. I also feel I used a different muscle group and my tired muscles seems not active.

The rest of the ride seems easier, maybe because the group was kinda exhausted and I was more comfortable. It was on shared user paths at Parramatta, so so many shouting and dodging of pedestrians. Some of the riders were pulling out at the end of this part. I think we have only 5 from 11 who continued after this.

We 5 had to do many dodgy and puzzling roads and share paths after this. kinda Crazy bit.

I followed after a while then pulled out at greenway, as I'm going home through the greenway to summerhills then Lakemba. Had the rest half of Pizza at the greenway as I see the group ascending the famous lilyfield rd to Leichardt, before on the way home, which I had a more relaxed ride, as there weren't any pressure.

Think it was a quick ride. Got out the train at 9.30, home at 17.55, so rather quick. The leader told us to bring lights as he feared it would be night before reaching Leichardt, but it was still around 16 when we were at that Lilyfield road hill, around 1 hour before sunset.

This was my first quick group ride with a recumbent, it was quite smooth and I kept up well. I think I also learned many things from this, from riding with breathing and just spin it, being better riding no handed (added a couple more metres), push and pulling technique, and I think I really need a head rest. so Riding in a quick group with uprights isn't hard at all, it's doable, even on your T50 (with heavy tires and a pannier, ot to mention I was the only one with flat pedals).

I think push and pull technique also contributes to my arms and upper body. yes you can ride without them and just relaxing, but by doing this you're also exercising your upper body and arms, a little bit. I just feel it's different than riding my omega where my upper body is quite "dead".