The last V2k

McWheels

Off the long run
Still trucking. First puncture yesterday, front tyre. A big hawthorn got in the side where the puncture belt doesn't cover. Can't complain really, as on inspection both front and rear have what can only be described as big slashes and even a sharp little flint fully embedded in the rear. I can see the puncture layer under the tread in a couple of places. They've been doing a job.

Rear wheel spoke tension was getting a bit questionable. In one case it freely undoing itself, might as well have been broken. I suppose that's a benefit of 36, it gives one a little margin for error. All tightened up now.

I'm back in a very hilly place, where the weight and the IGH inefficiency really tell. But as I'm not a Strava ninja and nor do I race, I conclude it only makes me stronger. Do wonder how quick I'd go up Westwells or Bathford Road on an S40 though.

McWheels

Off the long run
Life goes on, and so does clopper the carthorse. 4000mi service. New innards to the IGH, a fresh 180mm hydraulic disk up front and new SA 33T chainset/25T sprocket.

The IGH really needs to bed in, it's not at all as loose as the last one was, although the last one had a funny crunchy-crunchy grindy-grindy noise in 4th so perhaps this is for the best. I have been wanting to do that 12 mile Time Trial from the Autumn in reverse, but I'll take the first 100 miles to run in the new epicyclic gear assembly.

The second hand 3N30 dynohub I built into the rear wheel - zero maintenance, zero problems. Still got the original Schwalbe marathon greenguard tyres too. The front might be up for renewal in another thousand or so, we shall see.

This time next year I might be commuting into Bristol, so 25 miles each way. Probably not by bike every day, but it can be done. Shame I live on the roof of Wiltshire, the last 5 miles home are always emotional.

McWheels

Off the long run
Not quite a lube change, it was a full set of interplanetary gears. 4th was just dodgy, and the lowest replaceable line item is the whole lot. I do get to keep the hub shell, and by extension the wheel I built round it, so there's a certain neatness to the whole thing. Kind of analogous to a casette change.

Hoping for 6k minimum out of this one. I've dialled it in a bit better than it started with and there's a little freedom coming in after this week.

McWheels

Off the long run
Meanwhile....
I chanced on a second hand S40 which now puts this V2k surplus to requirements. I'll get it scrubbed up and photo'd for the For Sale section, but followers of this post can feel free to drop me an enquiring note. The only thing not coming with it is the B&M front light and bracket. 4500 miles, near Bristol, UK.

McWheels

Off the long run
Took longer than I expected due to house purchase, but this is now for sale. Fresh photos over in the classifieds.