Thinking of Purchasing Frame Kit - Have Some Questions

iambent

Have been thinking about purchasing the T50 frame kit. I have a nice 26" Thracian wheelset and complete set of 1x11 components. I had all these on a RANS crank forward frame that I built. Have moved on from the crank forward and considering building up a T50 with the components.

The questions I have are concerning ergonomics. I would more than likely need to purchase a stem and handlebar. After looking through the forum I noticed there have been a variety of bars used in T50 builds. Is there a consensus on what the best bar & stem setup is for the T50? I do have a Nitto Albatross bar in my parts stock. Not sure if anyone had tried the Albatross bar on a T50. Did not see a mention of it in any of the forum posts.

Also my 1x11 is Shimano and they only use trigger shifters. I have some concern about leg rub with a trigger shifter. I have owned some bents where leg clearance was an issue with trigger shifters, and they worked better with twist shifters or on top of bar thumb shifters. Will there be an issue using a trigger shifter on the T50? Also do trigger shifters works better on certain types of handlebars on the T50.

iambent

Thanks defjack! Since I already have the Albatross bars it probably would be wise to try them. If they do not work out it’s no big deal switching to another type of bar.

What type of stem do you use on your T50? Things such as length, rise, away from rider, towards rider, etc.

Brad R

I am using an XT 1x11 with trigger shifter. I have big thighs and have no issue with clearance on the T50.

My bottom bracket is at or below the level of the bottom of my seat. Sorry, but I am not sure of my X-seam. I am 5’11” with an inseam of about 31”.

I am using a Velo Orange Postino Handlebar and a short Origin 8 stem. I did not cut the long stem riser. This gives me an easy reach to the bars and a generous thigh to bar clearance.

Good luck

iambent

defjack & Brad R thanks for the info! Good to know.

Brad R I am about same height as you with 32” inseam and 43.5” X-seam. I weigh 180 lbs with average size thighs.

Brad R

defjack & Brad R thanks for the info! Good to know.

Brad R I am about same height as you with 32” inseam and 43.5” X-seam. I weigh 180 lbs with average size thighs.

Build with the bar you have. It will work. Use a short or adjustable stem. You will enjoy it.

rx7mark

Guru
I'm on my 2nd bar and 3rd stem trying to get the right fit. But I also just fit a Thor seat which drove the last stem change as I located the Thor seat farther aft than stock to raise my BB bracket a little..

So try what you have with a short cheap stem. And remember you can flip the stem backwards, which gets more knee clearance. That's how mine is, but I have long legs. 6'2" 45 x-seam. 155mm crank.

Once you are riding, it will be easier to decide on changes. My first stem was adjustable, but creaked and flexed too much, but did allow me to try lots of positional options with my first bars.

Mark

yangmusa

Not sure if anyone had tried the Albatross bar on a T50.
I have the Albatross bars on my Sofrider (see my avatar, or search for old threads started by me). Not quite an answer to your question, but the geometry/configuration isn't far off. The bar itself works great. As for stem length - you'll just have to try and see what works for you. I'm tall with long legs, and it took me two tries to find a stem with enough rise and reach to clear my knees/shins.

rx7mark

Guru
I use the Soma Gator bars also, great for a twist grip application, or Brifter will fit these as well.

Mark

One note on Gator bar set up, it fits me nicely but I just tried to adjust for my wife and she was too short. When I pulled the crank up enough for her to reach at the furthest extent, her legs hit the handlebars. The whole reason I did a 1x11 set up on the T50 is so it would adjust easy. So be aware that the Gator bar set up might be too cramped for shorter riders. I am 6 foot (183cm) and she is 5'2'' (158cm).

Rumbleseat

Doug, did you cut your steerer tube? I haven't cut mine yet. I'm 5'10" and there seems to be so much room between my legs and the bar.

rx7mark

Guru
I use a reverse stem with my gator bar, which gives me lots of leg room

I think one of the negatives with the T50 style bike is that the bar to seat relationship can't easily be changed without changing the seat angle or buying a different stem.

So you just might need his and her stems.

Mark