Tips for Pedaling at Faster Speeds

I took a quick little 6 mile ride around the neighborhood today and I'm really starting to feel comfortable on my new (to me) Q559. I've been tweaking my handlebar and stem positions and I just replaced my cassette and added a new chain (pedaling/shifting feels perfect). So with the added familiarity of just over 50 miles of riding now, I'm really starting to enjoy the ride.

Starts, acceleration, low speed turns, circles and figure eights all seem pretty easy for me now. But I still feel a little shaky when I get moving at a decent speed(>15 mph)... especially when I'm pedaling.

Anyone got any tips I can think about while pedaling at higher speeds to keep me from wobbling and swaying?

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Familiarity. You'll get smoother as your ride more B&B. Keep up the low speed turns and maneuvering, but also take the time to do some faster paced stuff while experimenting and learning what the bike does as you apply pressure in various ways with your legs through the pedal stroke.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Anyone got any tips I can think about while pedaling at higher speeds to keep me from wobbling and swaying?
Do you mean pedaling while going faster or pedaling at a higher rpm?
Agree with Frito: mostly time on the bike will take care of either issue.
Keep in mind that pedaling at a high rpm with very little pressure on the pedals (regardless of your speed) will most likely cause you to wobble some. This usually means you have run out of gears and is most noticeable when you are going downhill. If it happens on flat ground then you need to change your gearing in some way.

After you acclimate to you bike you should be able to pedal at 100 rpm with little difficulty

Do you mean pedaling while going faster or pedaling at a higher rpm?

Thanks Larry, I'm referring mostly to going faster... in a higher gear, not rpms... generally speaking, over 15 mph. I seem to get a little more wobbly then when I'm pedaling in a lower gear and doing say 8 mph.

or... maybe as I start thinking about it some more. Maybe I'm just as wobbly when I go slower but it seems to be more disconcerting when I'm going faster

Last edited:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Like the others have said, comfort at speed comes with time on the bike. You may not even be aware of the improvement over time, but one day realize, "holy smokes, I'm flying right along, and I feel fine." On the V20, many people routinely crack 50mph.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I took a quick little 6 mile ride around the neighborhood today and I'm really starting to feel comfortable on my new (to me) Q559. I've been tweaking my handlebar and stem positions and I just replaced my cassette and added a new chain (pedaling/shifting feels perfect). So with the added familiarity of just over 50 miles of riding now, I'm really starting to enjoy the ride.

Starts, acceleration, low speed turns, circles and figure eights all seem pretty easy for me now. But I still feel a little shaky when I get moving at a decent speed(>15 mph)... especially when I'm pedaling.

consensus seems to be more time on bike. The bike in my avatar was my first bent bike. Even as 1000 klm passed by I was still improving and tweaking.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
relax and let it wobble. stop fighting it and embrace it. it helps you gain confidence on the bike, and over time your body will compensate in the arms and core and diminish the wobble.

relax and let it wobble. stop fighting it and embrace it. it helps you gain confidence on the bike, and over time your body will compensate in the arms and core and diminish the wobble.

I've been doing more of that over the last 40 miles or so. I finally started riding with clipless and that's helped me relax a lot more and like you say... "let it wobble". I'm starting to experiment with no hands at slower speeds, but definitely starting to feel more comfortable pedaling at higher speeds

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Fortunately I have never experienced a speed wobble on my vendetta. I wonder if anyone has. I heard the best way out of a speed wobble on a normal bike is either to pedal faster or have your leg pressed hard against the frame. Either way sounds scarey. Make sure your wheels are balanced helps with a smooth ride and faster speeds

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I can't say what I experienced was a true speed wobble because it didn't seem to wobble fast enough to be called that, although it did happen when I was doing about 72kph under max power at the bottom of a hill at about 110-120rpms. But it wasn't tracking straight either. It calmed down when I loosened my grip and I am pretty sure I eased up a little on the power. It was the only time that happened though and I have been up to 75kph afterwards with no issue.

I haven't been able to hit those speeds yet. I've been keeping the rides kind of short because the conditions are pretty cold and I don't want to get caught too far from my house. But my neighborhood has a couple of short steep hills where I'll hit 30 plus mph and I feel okay at those speeds now.

It will be interesting to see how fast I can get this bike as the weather warms up. I'm not used to going super fast on a bike with a rear shock like my Q559. I think it's more of a gravel trail bike. But it will be fun to experiment with as I go further out.

bongaarts

For my bike, Aiming for around 90 RPM is a good goal. I typically cycle at around 60 – 80 RPM, while advanced and elite cyclists pedal anywhere from 90 to 110 RPM.