Took my Q45 on the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Towpath tour

bhave

I rode my modified 2019 Q45 on the GAP and C&O Towpath ride last week. Rented a pickup and drove to the Pittsburgh Airport, where I dropped it off. Then I rode from the airport back to Point State Park and back to DC. 375 miles over 6 days. My Q45 has the Thor fiberglass seat, 145mm cranks, 38t chainring in the front and the stock 11-42t in the rear (1x11). I have a Ventisit seatpad. I also have the Cruzbike Q-series rear rack and under the seat racks. I have switched the stock shock to an oil/air 1000lb load shock from Amazon. The 2019 Q45 has a the 135mm width for a QR wheel. The through axle setup came later.
My Ortleib City Rollers on the underseat racks did scrape the ground while leaning on turns.
Pros: In a straight line, on descents, and while climbing, the bike rode beautifully. No back or butt pain whatsoever. My riding companions on upright bikes were hurting after 8 hours in the saddle. No mechanical problems at all. I was very impressed!
Cons: It has the turning radius of a greyhound bus. On steep climbs, I wish I had a few more gears. My seat angle doesn't give me the best position to mash the gears on an ascent. I hadn't noticed this previously because I didn't do a shakeout ride with my full pannier load on pea gravel trails. My Ortleib City Rollers on the underseat racks did scrape the ground while leaning on turns.
I went light on the rear rack, with only a Topeak MTX trunk bag. In addition to the Ortleib panniers, I had 20l banana bags by Radical Designs. We camped along the way, so I brought my 2p tent, inflatable sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and warm and cold weather riding gear. The Q45 probably won't be my first choice for loaded touring. It's my go-to bicycle for tours where I'm staying in hotels though.

PXL_20241008_114034187.jpgPXL_20241008_114042333.jpg

Velocivixen

I appreciate the coordination of colors of your grips & pedals in relation to that really rich bike color.
My circa 2018 Q45 is some sort of grey (like freshly poured cement).
‘Thank you for your in depth write up of your journe.