Two bag options and mudguards for the Silvio.

Flasharry

http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-bike-bags/zipped-roll.shtml

http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-bike-bags/barley-saddlebag.shtml

As far as I can tell their volume sizing seems a little out of whack, as they both have very similar dimensions.

I have the 'Zipped Roll', it just required and additional piece of old webbing with a couple of loops stitched around the wooden dowel inside the bag, which can then slipped over the top of the Silvio seat back. The bag is then firmly fixed on the bike with original buckled leather strap around the top of the rear spring mount (the bag is supplied with 3 of these straps).

I am very pleased with it, small but very useful. I now have somewhere to store my tools, waterproofs, a sweatshirt and some refreshments (I did get a pair of size 12 (46) trainers in there but almost couldn’t get them out again). It seems to be waterproof and it doesn't sway about at all and it’s better than the original design as I only have to undo one strap to remove it.

(Pics attached).

Stuart.

75_79871d379c876162ee46a9c7c968f529
75_6b04c1eef5c6f7d609d186b0a67931c6
75_c7f4551c8410eaae06fb1cb4790eb130

WhiteSilvio

Re: Two reasonably priced bag options for the Silvio

Hi there Stuart/Flasharry,
Just a quick question without notice. (I'm not really trying to hijack the "bag" thread)

In general I am not a fan of mudguards/fenders, but of all the ones I have seen in pics of Silvios, I have to say yours are about the best that I have seen.
And with summer rains with us again here in SE Queensland, the spray on the back of the neck and head is not really appreciated.

Can you supply some details of the manufacturer, and where you got them. (The reverse colour scheme to the tyres/tires works well!!)

Regards, John.

Flasharry

Thanks for the nice comment about the mudguards.

Quote: In general I am not a fan of mudguards/fenders, but spray on the back of the neck and head is not really appreciated.

I totally agree, so I bought a set of the SKS Race Blades for winter riding, too often I have not gone out for a ride because the roads are wet, well that's put a stop to that excuse.

When you fit them, you need to swap the fenders in the stays, and then fit them normally.
The front mudguard can't really be fitted without cable ties fixing the stays to the fork because of the slight issue with the gear cable running down the back of the front fork, but it's easy to fit the mounts rotated slightly inwards on the fork (the stays are designed for a narrower fork anyway), then fix firmly with cable ties. Removing the lugs for the rubber straps will make them easier to fit.

I am really pleased with them, definitely keeping me drier, and they haven't slipped or moved at all.

The red colour is from a thin strip of red electrical tape down the centre, to go with the other red bits on the bike.

Here is a link, I amsure they are available everywhere though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/SKS_Race_Blade_Clip_On_Mudguard_Set/5300005894/

Hope this helps.

Stuart.

WhiteSilvio

Flasharry wrote:

When you fit them, you need to swap the fenders in the stays, and then fit them normally.
The front mudguard can't really be fitted without cable ties fixing the stays to the fork because of the slight issue with the gear cable running down the back of the front fork, but it's easy to fit the mounts rotated slightly inwards on the fork (the stays are designed for a narrower fork anyway), then fix firmly with cable ties. Removing the lugs for the rubber straps will make them easier to fit.

Here is a link, I am sure they are available everywhere though.Unfortunately I haven't found an OZ supplier so far, but I don't mind buying UK if necessary. I'll keep looking here.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/SKS_Race_Blade_Clip_On_Mudguard_Set/5300005894/

Hope this helps.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,
Firstly thanks for taking the time to reply. Greatly appreciated.

Although I can see the general product is the same (at the above link) I can't quite make out at the moment what has to be done to make the 'guards fit the bike. I shall keep looking at the pictures with the hope that I have a moment of revelation, one of those "ah ha, now I see" things. (I would probably see straight away if I were eyeballing the things and handling a set, but I don't have that luxury.)

You say you need to swap the stays over; I am presuming that the set comes as a Front and Back 'guard?

Did you shorten one of the 'guards for the back? The stay seems to be finishing right at the end of the 'guard, compared with the product picture at the link.

Also, besides swapping the stay sets, over did you have to remodel/bend the stays too?
I can see the interference problem with the front change cable and figure, like you say, that mounting the stay support a little further in wouldn't be too hard.

Regards, John.

Flasharry

Hi John.

Hopefully this will clear things up-

The instructions below explain better than I can.
http://www.sks-germany.com/download/5288300000/en/RACEBLADE_XL_manual_GB.pdf

The quirk for the Silvio, is the mudguards come pre-assembled (fenders slotted into stays), so you'll need to slide the plastic fenders from the stays, swap them and refit them. You can then follow the instructions above.

Quote: Did you shorten one of the 'guards for the back? The stay seems to be finishing right at the end of the 'guard, compared with the product picture at the link.
No, no shortening, the rear mudguard will now have the shorter (originally front) plastic fender in it.

Quote: You say you need to swap the stays over; I am presuming that the set comes as a Front and Back 'guard?
So no, the stays fit as in the instructions, but the plastic fenders are swapped.

There is a very small amount of bending needed just to get the mudguards to sit correctly, but no more then you'd have to do with any bike, i'd have thought.

Regards.
Stuart.

Gromit

Guru
John

Topeak make some mudguards/fenders similar to the SKS Raceblades.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/DeFenderR1_R2_Set
Not sure whether they would fit the Silvio but maybe you could find them over there in Oz and give them a try?

WhiteSilvio

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for the further information. I've downloaded the manual and I'll study it and re-read your "notes". Looks pretty good.

Thanks too to Gromit, for the Topeak fender suggestion. They too look interesting, and since my LBS stocks Topeak products it may be possible that the Topeak Rep might drop a pair off at the shop that I could have a look at.

Both sets of mudguards look like they would work, and obviously Stuart has successfully mounted his; always good to see some installed so you "know it's possible".

My hearty thanks to both of you. I guess that's what being part of a forum that appears to work pretty well (I freely admit to limited experience of forums), is all about! :D

I'll do some studying.
Regards again, John.

Gromit

Guru
John - White Silvio

Which mudguard/fender system did you fit to your Silvio in the end?
Pictures? :)

georgec

FRONT <--> BACK ???

I have been fiddling around with the SKS Race Blades on the new 1.5 Silvio frameset with 700 x 25C gatorskin tires.

I must say these are really nicely made, but barely wide enough for the tires. On the other hand they look pretty hip (at least, for fenders, that is ;)

It seems like the back mount and back fender fits the front quite well, in part because it clears the derailer cable clips much better than the front fender mount, and I like the longer fender length.

Unfortunately, the front mount does not clear the rear caliper, so now I am thinking maybe I need a second back fender and mount for the back of the bike.

I plan to put fenders on the bike in a semi-permanent way. Does anyone else use these on a routine basis, or have a better idea?