v20 Old Chainstay vs New Chainstay Identification

cruzKurt

Today, I acquired a previously owned v20 bicycle that is in exceptional condition and boasts a visually appealing aesthetic. Upon closely inspecting the bike, I observed a discrepancy in the appearance of the chainstay. Consequently, I seek the expertise of fellow enthusiasts to address a query: Which of the two options presented, denoted as #1 and #2 respectively, corresponds to the older chainstay? Furthermore, in the event that #1 represents the newer version, would it be feasible to replace the chainstay on the second bike with a similar one resembling #1 in order to achieve a uniform appearance, or vice versa? Your insights are greatly appreciated.

chainstay comparison.JPG

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
#2 is the older design. It worked well enough, but really have to watch the clamping pressure, as it is pretty easy to squeeze the bearings. It also severely limits your selection of bottom brackets. The bb has to have a square shape and be the correct size. Fortunately, #1 will easily swap in. The bb shell at the end of the boom and the dropouts at the fork remain the same. I put the newer design on both my V.2 Vendetta and S30, both of which came with the older chainstay. On the newer chainstay, just make sure that your four bolts are torqued evenly and not too tight, and that the gaps between the two halves of the clamp are even.