v20 vs v20c Initial Look and Comparison

TransAm

For me, the V20C is way better because of the oval slider. It took me a while to figure out that I needed pedal spacers on the V20 to eliminate pain in my outer calf muscle. The narrower boom on the V20C allowed me to ditch the pedal spacers.

MaxLean

For me, the V20C is way better because of the oval slider. It took me a while to figure out that I needed pedal spacers on the V20 to eliminate pain in my outer calf muscle. The narrower boom on the V20C allowed me to ditch the pedal spacers.
Can you explain? From what I understand, the oval slider would be narrower than the round slider on the V20. However, it sounds like the bottom bracket shell is wider. I’m considering both the V20C and the S40, so I’m trying to understand all the nuances in that decision. Thanks!

BentAxel004

After about a week on my new to me v20c with fancy carbon wheels, I have a few observations. The v20c seems harder to pedal to me, for some reason, my v20 feels light and airy, the v20c a chore to pedal. Between the two bikes most everything is the same with the exception of obvious differences in the construction of the bikes. I have wahoo speedplay power pedals, so power data is accurate. The CdA on my v20c is significantly different and this is consistent across 5 or 6 rides based on windsock data on strava. My v20 generally CdA in the .220 range, v20c .320 range. Anyway, posting a comparison chart of yesterday (v20c) and today (v20) identical course, conditions and such on my morning ride.

View attachment 15019
I am not to the point where I can do a meaningful comparison. I am 5'10" tall with a 32' inseam. I purchased a V20c Frame-set. In assembling the bike I have configured as close as I can to my V20 (2015 Purchase). When I tried to set the X-distance i was unable to shorten the slider to my inseam. It's close but should be about 1 to 2 " shorter. I will revisit this issue after I receive and install a new Curved slider. My Issue is that I can't see the area in front of the bike over the handle bars. I am hoping that a new curved slider will fix my problem. I am perplexed by this problem. I have a V20, S40, & Q45. All were set up without any problem. My inability to see the surface in front of the bike is a risk I won't take. I wish I had know about the change in geometry before I purchased the new V20c. I was wondering if anyone else has experience the Eye to handlebar orientation issue I have. I am willing to accept I might have missed something in my build. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

BentAxel004

Can you explain? From what I understand, the oval slider would be narrower than the round slider on the V20. However, it sounds like the bottom bracket shell is wider. I’m considering both the V20C and the S40, so I’m trying to understand all the nuances in that decision. Thanks!
The V20c has a T47 mounting bracket for the Bottom Bracket. The S40 has a 68mm English - External Bearing Bottom Bracket.

MaxLean

The V20c has a T47 mounting bracket for the Bottom Bracket. The S40 has a 68mm English - External Bearing Bottom Bracket.
Went back and read your post again. So you mean the wider BB shell moves the pedals farther apart (increased Q-factor) and eliminates the pedal spacers?

I’ve wondered about Q-factor, but I’ve never had calf pain, so I’ve never investigated it further. However, one of my sons mentioned just this morning that he is experiencing that, so I’ll have to look into it further!

TransAm

Yes, the V20c slider is narrower, so it's easier to get your legs around it. I didn't need pedal spacers to increase the Q-factor as I did on the V20.

The T47 bottom bracket shell is wider because the bearings are inside, rather than in cups outside like the English BB. It still takes a standard width road crankset, so Q-factor is not a factor.