V20c Frameset - borked fork?

Tinker

I received my frame set today, and started assembly following along with

The fork is giving me trouble. I tried getting my hydraulic brake cable through bottom to top, later just a regular brake cable. I can see it poke around on the derailleur side and could probably get it out with some fiddling, but nothing on the disc brake side.
I can't get it through from top to bottom either.
Using a light, there seems to be some poor lamination inside of my fork? I tried poking it with a yard stick, but the piece of sheet is not loose.

I can't tell if there's any opening to the brake-side of the fork at all, let alone one that would reasonably allow wiring through :(
1664298791345.png 1664298820579.png

Any tips? Will i have to RMA it through my retailer? :/

Last edited:
I received my frame set today, and started assembly following along with

The fork is giving me trouble. I tried getting my hydraulic brake cable through bottom to top, later just a regular brake cable. I can see it poke around on the derailleur side and could probably get it out with some fiddling, but nothing on the disc brake side.
I can't get it through from top to bottom either.
Using a light, there seems to be some poor lamination inside of my fork? I tried poking it with a yard stick, but the piece of sheet is not loose.

I can't tell if there's any opening to the brake-side of the fork at all, let alone one that would reasonably allow wiring through :(
View attachment 13894 View attachment 13895

Any tips? Will i have to RMA it through my retailer? :/
Mine was resistant, I came back to it later and it went right through. Maybe there was a lip it was hanging up on. Make sure you have enough hose. I had to buy longer hoses, the ones that come with the set wasn’t long enough to account for the slider length.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I've done this job twice now, and it ain't easy. Had to dig pretty deep into my reserves of patience. One move that helped was fishing some thin baling wire through the holes (you might want to try it from the bottom, up), then slipping a few inches of housing over the wire and hoping that the wire can act as a guide for the housing around obstructions. Push the housing as you pull the wire, twisting as needed. If bottom-up doesn't work, try top-down.

I wish you every success.

Tinker

Do either of you two have that piece of random carbon sheet sitting crossways down in your steering tube?

piston9

I just looked down mine (brand new also - not yet assembled!) - there is a peice of carbon in the middle separating left and right sides. Could you come up from the bottom? (I'll try and get a photo down there)

Tinker

Sorry for bad focus, too much balancing :D
Thank you, makes sense that this piece should be closer to the center of the tube and act as a divider.
I'll try and see if i can poke a brake cable through the right hand side from top to bottom, just to check if there's an opening

Do either of you two have that piece of random carbon sheet sitting crossways down in your steering tube?
Mine looked a bit like yours. I think if your hose has a lot of curve in it (from being wound up) that may make it hang up on the imperfections of the fork.
I rewatched Robert’s assembly video and noted he made the hose have a bit of hockey stick to it, allowing him to turn and redirect the tip.

Tinker

I was able to thread a blank brake wire through from top to bottom, pulling it out through the hole next to the disc brake caliper with the assistance of a small hex wrench.

however, anything wider than a blank wire, like cable housing, or hydraulic brake cable, just physically can't fit through the gap to the fork "leg"

1664439387624.png

Don1

Guru
Integrated cables make the bike look lovely but setting them up is a real pain, even when you make the forks yourself....