V20C vs. Bacchetta CA 3.0

TerryRides

New to the forum. I currently ride a Bacchetta CA 2.0 with 650C wheels. Thinking about upgrading, in part to get disk brakes and new drivetrain. Never been on a Cruzbike - does anybody have direct experience going from Bacchetta to Cruzbike? (Note: I'm 66, usually ride alone for fitness and enjoyment - my most common ride is 25 miles with 2,000' of climbing. So in general, relatively short, medium hilly, recreational rides. My last century was pre-COVID, not sure if I'd do another, but might consider it). While I titled this V20C because I've always liked light weight and speed, S40 might make more sense if I go Cruzbike.

Robert Volk

Hello, I used to have a Bacchetta, two of them actually, a Corsa and a CA 2.0.

I always thought the front wheel drive would be kind of weird, but it's better in my opinion.

The hardest part in making the switch was keeping my legs loose for turning, but it doesn't take long to get used to. When I first got it, turns were difficult for me because on the Bacchetta I was used to keeping my legs stiff, which made it hard to turn on the Cruzebike, so I used to unclip to take turns and sit up, then I would stay clipped in and sit up, then one day without realizing it I took a 90 degree turn without unclipping or sitting up! I didn't really realize it until about a minute later. Your brain adjusts to it and now it's just all so automatic I don't even think about it. On the Bacchetta, my knee muscles were always so sore, with the Cruzebike I did not experience that anymore, I felt it more in my thighs, probably where it is supposed to be :D

I currently own V20 and a V20C. The front wheel drive makes it so easy for climbing hills as you can sit up and engage your arms and core and really lay down the power. It always takes DF bikers by surprise!

And it is super-fast as well. https://www.strava.com/activities/9228671643

I think one of the best benefits of a Cruzebike, unlike the Bacchetta, is that you can fit standard bicycle parts on it, whether it's 700C wheels, drivetrain, brakes, you name it.

I am currently running FLO AS 77 tubeless wheels, SRAM AXS electronic 12 speed, 48x35 in the front and 10:28 in the rear, and disc brakes hydraulic. I no longer have the two Bacchettas, because there is no way I'd ever go back to riding those after being on a Cruzbike.

HTH

V20CBuild.PNG

cruzKurt

I rode a CA 2.0 prior to my v20. I prefer the more reclined seat angle on the v20. Once you get used to it, the v20 is a good ride. I am not so sure the CA 2.0 wasn't smoother, but it has been a while. I feel like the v20 is easier to get parts for and maintenance is easier. You don't have to worry about your feet hitting the front tire on a v20, after months riding only my v20, I got on my M5 and immediately was hitting the front tire. I am 61 and ride 25-35 miles per day for exercise on mostly flat terrain. If I had to choose I would hands down go with the v20. In your case the v20c. I think the seat angle on the s40 would steer me towards the v20c. I am about 6'2" and weigh about 180#, so the v20 is a good fit for me.

I’ve never ridden a Bacchetta, but they’re very similar to the Rans bikes I have/had. I would personally get the S40, not the V20c. The S line is more practical and versatile, but still very fast. I would get it because it’s fast, can fit wider tires, made to carry stuff if you want, and 20 degrees is too reclined for me.
The issue of heel strike can’t be overstated. The Cruzbike has no heel strike and can turn much tighter, while still under power.

Flying Dutchman

I always thought the front wheel drive would be kind of weird, but it's better in my opinion.

The hardest part in making the switch was keeping my legs loose for turning, but it doesn't take long to get used to. When I first got it, turns were difficult for me because on the Bacchetta I was used to keeping my legs stiff, which made it hard to turn on the Cruzebike, so I used to unclip to take turns and sit up, then I would stay clipped in and sit up, then one day without realizing it I took a 90 degree turn without unclipping or sitting up! I didn't really realize it until about a minute later. Your brain adjusts to it and now it's just all so automatic I don't even think about it. On the Bacchetta, my knee muscles were always so sore, with the Cruzebike I did not experience that anymore, I felt it more in my thighs, probably where it is supposed to be :D

I currently own V20 and a V20C. The front wheel drive makes it so easy for climbing hills as you can sit up and engage your arms and core and really lay down the power. It always takes DF bikers by surprise!

I think one of the best benefits of a Cruzebike, unlike the Bacchetta, is that you can fit standard bicycle parts on it, whether it's 700C wheels, drivetrain, brakes, you name it.

I am currently running FLO AS 77 tubeless wheels, SRAM AXS electronic 12 speed, 48x35 in the front and 10:28 in the rear, and disc brakes hydraulic. I no longer have the two Bacchettas, because there is no way I'd ever go back to riding those after being on a Cruzbike.

HTH

View attachment 14915
That is a beauty!

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever

HTH

View attachment 14915
Man, what wheels are these?!

My V for comparison! I have adjusted the handlebars since I took this one. This pic was right after I finished building it.

Attachments

• 20230706_170523.jpg
    20230706_170523.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36

HeyHealy

I went from a Bacchetta CA 2.0 to a Cruzbike S40 in 2021. I thought maybe I would switch between the two, but ended up selling the CA2 a year later. I've now put 2,500 miles on the S40. I ended up setting a lot of PRs with the S40 after my leg muscles adapted to it. But there are some downhill speed records I still hold with the CA2.

I'm in Parker, CO (south Metro Denver) and everything on my S40 is stock. I've done multiple mountain passes with just the single up front. But I run out of gearing on the downhills. I'm currently looking to upgrade to a V20c. I figure it will help me reach those top-end speeds I'd like to hit. And it *might* be an upgrade on hills.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
.... But I run out of gearing on the downhills. I'm currently looking to upgrade to a V20c. I figure it will help me reach those top-end speeds I'd like to hit. And it *might* be an upgrade on hills.
I went about chasing the top end speeds in the "wrong" way concerning the gearing in that I went with larger and larger front chainrings. My V20 came with a 50/34t Tiagra, but the 1st groupset I bought was a 52/36t 105 groupset. I added a left side power meter, switched to SRAM Force AXS but kept the same crankset because of the power meter, then I swapped in a 53t chainring. Finally I got a great deal on a Dura Ace 54/40t crankset, and now I ride without a power meter. The whole while I was using Shimano cassettes because my I love my Mavic CXR 60C wheels, and I can't simply switch to a SRAM XDR driver where I would be able to get a 10-33t cassette. I contacted Chris King to see if it were possible to change to a Chris King Hub with an XDR driver, with the right spoke length and was told it was not possible, so I just stay with what I got for now. A 10-33t cassette would have given me a much higher possible top end speed compared with an 11t, as opposed to 1t jumps on the chainring, but until I get a new drive wheel with an XDR hub I am limited with rpms when all the conditions are right for top speed runs. In all honesty I am getting too old for those kinds of runs anyway, but every once in a while I get a wild hair when the wind conditions are right.