Validation and Spam Filter

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,

I was going to post and ask at what point will the forum stop asking me to verify I'm a human. It often takes me several tries and this just becomes annoying.

Worse, today I was trying to post and I got:
"Your submission has triggered the spam filter and will not be accepted."

I agree that we want to keep the forum spam free, but most people would agree that I'm not the problem :)

Cheers,
Charles

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Here's the original comment

Here's the original comment that it wouldn't let me post (I had to remove a link):

Hi,

One part of this is experience. The longer you've ridden, the slower you can go without falling over. I've recorded speeds as 3.5 mph (5.6kph) up big hills. This is with in a very low gear in on my Sofrider. (I've got just about 1,000 miles/1,600 km on the bike now).

Cheers,
Charles

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
a rather fine job

Hi Charles,
At one stage I was spending half an hour a day deleting spam, some of which was of the most offensive kind. From my perspective the site and the mollom service is doing a rather fine job.

I am not asked for that verify step when I post a comment, I don't know why you are different, something to think about.

John

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I haven't had any

Hi,

I haven't had any problems with the spam filter up until now. I would have thought that it would have settings that once somebody has posted enough, it uses different standards than for somebody new (I can, unfortunately, completely understand why you need a spam filter).

Can you tell why it thought the link to my blog (which it has let me post in the past) was spam?

Cheers,
Charles

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I've now had a second post

I've now had a second post denied because it tripped off the spam filter.

Something has recently changed with this. I've posted many updates/topics in the past and never had a problem. But in this last week, two of my posts have failed to go through.

in case it isn't obvious, this is really starting to piss me off. I completely unerstand why you want to keep the boards free of spam, but this is getting ridiculous. If this isn't fixed soon, then clearly I won't be bothering to keep trying to post here. (And while I may very well not be missed on these forums, I am willing to bet that others are having the same problems and instead of complaining about them are just going elsewhere as well).

Charles

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
At the very least, changing

At the very least, changing the "spam detection" behavior to be:

Sorry your post will not be added until it has been reviewed

which is significantly better than (effectively)

Sorry, you've just wasted a whole bunch of time typing this post because it will never see the light of day.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Charles, 
We use mollom, as I

Charles,
We use mollom, as I said. If you are having trouble its perhaps because someone at blogspot.com is generating abusive material and you are being painted with the same brush since blogspot adopts a sub-domain structure. Its ruthless, but in theonline world there isn't any glory in not being so. Believe me, keeping a site clean and open is not something you can leave to chance. If I switch off mollom and so open the door for you are you going to step in and personally delete the spam that will flood this forum? No is the answer, you won't have time to.

Please don't complain to me about, I can't influence it any more than you can tell microsoft what to do or not do.

Perhaps you might create your own domain to host your material?

John

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I can post links to my blog

I can post links to my blog as naked links, but I apparently can't have text linked. And something has changed in the past week as I used to be able to do this no problem.

I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one with this problem. And while I agree it isn't your fault, it is (will be) your problem. As more and more people are tagged as spam, that means more and more people won't bother posting anymore.

gilpeel2002

Drupal forum on unblocking

In reading some forum posts at Drupal, it appears that this forum administrator should have the capability to unblock any blocked email (post) from a registered account. That being said, it sounded like navigating the service was quite complicated. Even my original email address was blocked here a few months back. I simply changed it to my yahoo address and have successfully posted since..

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
config tweak

I have made it so that Charles' posts now bypass mollom protection. Waiting to confirm if my config tweak works out.