Ventisit

Vargas

Does anyone have experience with this seat pad? Is it more comfortable than the one which comes with the SR?

I sweat a lot under Rio de Janeiro heat when riding my CB. But I am used to it, so this isn't the main reason to buy a Ventisit. What I like in it is the possibility to leave it on the bike all the time without worring about it catching some rain.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Ventist

I have tried the Ventisit pad on an Optima Baron (not mine) and it is very comfortable, provides noticable ventilation and offers a bit of a suspended feel. The Ventisit works well on a one-piece recumbent seat because of the relaxed curvature and it is easily held in place with some adhesive carpet tape or Velcro tape.

While I have no experience with a Ventisit on a Sofrider, the only issue I can think of is that the seat of the Sofrider (as well as the other models of Cruzbikes) is a two-piece seat with a distinct seat pan and back. This configuration requires the Ventisit pad to bend at a rather sharp angle and would not likely be held in place with Velco or tape alone. I have seen in this forum a rider who has fitted the Ventisit to a Cruzbike, and the picture celarly shows zip-ties anchoring the pad to the seat pan. It's not a bad solution, just one to be wary of.

The beauty of the Cruzbike seat pads is that they are light and can quickly be removed if you fear your bike will get caught in the rain. However, if you must be on the bike in the rain, the seat pads are still quite necessary to keep in place, right? ;-) With that said, if it's raining, they will get wet.

If this is a concern of yours, another option is a Zotefoams seat pad. If you can get your hands on the material, it's not too difficult to make your own. Take a look if you're interested. This will get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.recumbentriders.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3961 (Opens in a new window)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
You can get a two piece

You can get a two piece Ventist pad for Cruzbikes. I don't have one, but I've heard good things.

psychling

I've used the Ventisit. I agree with the comments made by others. Although you likely won't experience this in Rio, the Ventisit can make a cold descent even colder. Because you're sitting on a pad that is `ventilated' the cold air at speed can sometimes be very uncomfortable. Esp if you're sweaty.

Vargas

Thanks guys!
I'll be in Paris beginning March and this is a good opportunity to get the Ventisit without having to pay freight and customs at Brazil.
I wrote to Bart at Ventisit and asked him about the two pieces seat.
But the single piece with some zip ties isn't a bad idea either.
Vargas