Want to buy - Seat pads for Quest 451

alansills

I'd like to buy a new/used set of seat pads for the Quest 451. These are the thick, fairly rigid seat pads. When I had a Q451 I found them reasonably comfortable to ride on. Now on my new Q45, I can't ride more than 1/4 mile (YES, ONE QUARTER MILE) without significant discomfort and I think its the seat pad it comes with. I'm hoping the two seats are similar enough that the 451 seat pads will fit on the Q45 seat. Let me know here or call me at 307 269 2546. Al

billyk

Guru
I'd like to buy a new/used set of seat pads for the Quest 451. These are the thick, fairly rigid seat pads. When I had a Q451 I found them reasonably comfortable to ride on. Now on my new Q45, I can't ride more than 1/4 mile (YES, ONE QUARTER MILE) without significant discomfort and I think its the seat pad it comes with. I'm hoping the two seats are similar enough that the 451 seat pads will fit on the Q45 seat. Let me know here or call me at 307 269 2546. Al

I have a similar experience with my new Q45, and as I had a Q2 (just sold) I took the opportunity to try the Q2 seat pads on the Q45. They do fit fine, but I had no better luck with recumbutt. No difference in that category. What I did then was to cut a piece of stiff foam and put it as a lumbar support (behind the CB cushion). It helps a lot. I am considering further mods, however ... watch this space.

alansills

Billy, my issue is the top of the seat back. It is digging into my back at a position of about "T7" (thorasic vertebrae #7). My chiropractor is suggesting I get a seat with a taller seat back. I'm going to seriously consider the Thor seat (thorseat (dot) eu) as from my measurements this evening, its about 5" longer than the CruzBike stock seat. What are your thoughts on this?Al (I'm also going into the main adventure bike forum and going to open this discussion to get a wider view of opinions.)

dtseng

I have two MBB bikes with back rest angles 24 and 34 degrees. Both bikes are fitted with Thor seats (size M and L). Thor seat is curved to support lumbar and thoracic vertebrae. I make my own cushions using 2" thick high density foam which is covered with breathable cloth instead of coarse net like ventisit. I also add polyester fiber to modify the profile slightly.

Last edited:

alansills

Dtseng, thanks for your thoughts. Two questions - on the thor seat, you have a "M" and a "L"? I'm 5'7" (170cm), my suspicion is the "L" will have a taller back rest, thus covering more of my back? For someone my height, is there a downside to getting a "L" vs the "M" (Greg's site recommends "M" for those who are 165 - 175 cm tall.) Second question - you said "2" thick high density foam" - are you talking about blueboard? Or can you be more specific as to which product you purchased? Additionally, where did you get the breathable cloth? Thanks again for the guidance. Al

dtseng

I am also 170 cm. The size M Thor seat reaches slightly below the top of my shoulder. It's all right for the 34 degree back rest bike because the upper section of the seat is curved and I don't need neck support. The size L is about 5 cm longer. I feel that it is a better fit for me on the 24 degree back rest bike. I bought the black cloth and foam from upholstery store. When I hold the cloth against the light, I can see pores. What they call "high density foam" just ordinary white foam, not closed cell or memory type of foam. I add silky kind of polyester fiber and use a long needle and nylon thread to pull the two sides of the cushion together without using buttons at several locations very much like they do on the sofa cushions. You can buy Velcro bands with adhesive backing to fix the cushion on the seat.

Last edited:

alansills

dtseng, for my understanding, when you say 34 degrees and 24 degrees, that's from the horizontal? (so 34 is more vertical than 24?) For me, I'm finding I need a more vertical seat position (perhaps 60 degrees). I also have virtually n0 curve in my neck (almost a reverse curve), so, i'm now thinking a M with a head rest... what say you? Al

Last edited:

billyk

Guru
I'm 5'8", but I don't know my thoracic vertebrae from my left tibia.

However, when I ride I'm taking weight off my back by pulling on the bars, which I think is the key insight of MBB; where its strength comes from.

On a regular recumbent your lower back is cupped in the seat and the power comes like a leg press machine, pushing against the seat. An MBB is more like a rowing machine, with almost no pressure on the back. I feel like I could ride successfully with no seat back! (Not quite, but tending that way).

Maybe think about where you are getting the power and you might find yourself both a stronger rider and less stress in your back.

alansills

Billy, thanks for the input, however for me with very poor upper body strength, I can't use my upper body (too much) to pull on the bars and relieve pressure on my back. So, I ride this recumbent like any recumbent with my back resting against the seat and my legs do most of the work. Al

1happyreader

zen/child method
I tried a lot of combinations , not just the seat back , to find my best position.
no arm pulling for me.
Gotta, say a few degrees of adjustment somewhere could make a bigger impact (lol ) than a cushion.
Then again I ride with Ventisit.