weight saving

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
How can I reduce the weight of a Q45?
Yeah I know. It's pretty heavy. Two things I found made the bigger difference..
1. Lighter Al or carbon wheels.
2. Change the shock to Kind A5 RR1 165mm

Other than that, you can change to carbon crank and higher level of Sram cassette and derailleur components. They are expensive, too. :-(

I changed the 11 speed NX to 12 speed AXS GX. I think the shifter/derailleur/cassette might be about the same weight or a little heavier, even though I didn't calculate exactly.

Michael

2whluge

Generally, your benefit will come with reducing weight on things that go around. But honestly, a pound here or there on this bike isn’t going to make a huge difference.

As a wise person once told me, “want to save weight on the bike? Push away from the training table “.

Velocivixen

Wheels yes. You could go down the entire hub/rim/spokes/tube/tire rabbit hole if you really want to talk weight savings as well as performance. I’m a casual rider so those subtleties are wasted on me.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I have seen it suggested on other bike forums that losing weight (the rider’s weight) is more significant than the weight loss in grams of, say, a derailleur.
This is true upto a certian point. Once your body weight drops to the sub 70Kg (~150 pounds) range, the weight of the bicycle as percentage of your body becomes significant. The power to weight ratio becomes a major factor.

When I look at professional bicycle races the lower UCI limit for the bicycle weight is 6.8Kg (~15 pounds). This is equivalent to approximately 10% of the riders body weight ( assuming an average rider weight of 70Kg). So for a high performance bicycle I suspect 10 - 15 % of the rider's body weight is the optimal bicycle weight.

This may not apply to utilitarian bicycles, but it seems to be the case if speed is desired.

2whluge

@ak-tux - Thanks for your insightful explanation. I sort of meant my comment to be taken lightly. The topic of weight reduction seems to be a topic of high discussion.
I don’t think we have too many “weight weenies” among us. In my college days (>50 years ago) we had goofballs drilling cranks and chainrings to save a few grams.

pseudogrammaton

I have seen it suggested on other bike forums that losing weight (the rider’s weight) is more significant than the weight loss in grams of, say, a derailleur.

Best put as diplomatically as possible.... ;)

I'm as non-defensive about my excess carriage as the next American of indeterminate girth.

-- Lee