Wet discovery on the v20c!

Derek

There are several things to love about the v20c when upgrading from the v20. My favorites are the lighter front end and the new boom clamp design. That said, I have found a downgrade: facial spray in wet conditions. The new boom is oval shaped and narrower, likely for better aerodynamics. It cuts through the air like a knife, but that narrow profile also means that it doesn’t stop all the water coming off the front wheel the way the old boom did. I’ve confirmed this across two wet rides - one with the 22” Chainstay (a 189mi ride up in Amish country of upstate NY) and the other with the 19” Chainstay (today on a 50mi ride around South Jersey). The latter blocked more spray as you’d expect since the shorter Chainstay = the boom closer to the wheel. Either way both spit water up in the air which hits the rider right in the face. And let me tell you, it’s pretty gross to get road water in your mouth (but even more so when riding roads in Amish country with piles of horse poop everywhere).

Just throwing this out there… maybe someone more mechanically minded than I would like to take the charge on designing a small plate that could be Velcroed to the bottom of the boom in just the right spot (when it’s wet out) to serve as a little-fender….who wants to be a hero?

Attachments

• IMG_2757.png
    IMG_2757.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
After riding a rainy “Amish Century” I can say face spray would be awful.]

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 22
I think something like this would work with some modifications. The fender easily cuts with scissors or razer blade. Trim to your desired shape and bend to fit. Mount with Velcro straps by cutting mounting slots in the fender. This all works in my mind. I live in southern California. There is not enough rain to make it worth more than a thought exercise for me.

Edit - I think you can find the fender on Amazon too. The above site just had more information on it.

CruzRider

Sounds like a problem easily solved with a n+1 bike for rain rides :)

Or perhaps a full helmet?
Or a face visor?

I struggle to think how fenders will fit within the close tolerances on my v20.

Henri

scatter brain
The folks who choose to ride the V series don’t particulastrike me as the “fender” type of crowd.
I'm a bit sad about that devide. I want an aerodynamic sitting position (I don't find it uncomfortable or anything.), but I also want comfort and usability like wide tires, fenders, bottle mounts, luggage options. (Most of it can be somehow retrofitted with universally mounting solutions, but tires can not.)

I struggle to think how fenders will fit within the close tolerances on my v20.
Something should be possible that does not pass through the forks and chainstais but goes from one to the other and maybe connects around them to other pieces. Also where the tire comes close to the frame it would need a cutout, that decreases effectiveness a bit, but the place should not be crucial and maybe the flaw can be mitigated with another piece on the frame.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Robertas' fender solution looks the most effective. I tend to stay out of the rain but I do have a rear fender option that snaps on in a few seconds. I didn't put fender mount on the front of my V20 yet because for fenders I am a "function before form" kinda guy, and the supplied front fender I have is the opposite. Simply too small to be effective.
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.17.41.png
I had to bend the mount to get it to fit, but even then I have to push the mount down and slide on the plastic fender. I like it because it is light, but I would find a different solution for the front, such as Robertas.

cruzKurt

… maybe someone more mechanically minded than I would like to take the charge on designing a small plate that could be Velcroed to the bottom of the boom in just the right spot (when it’s wet out) to serve as a little-fender….who wants to be a hero?
Would be happy to design and 3D print you one, let me know basically what you are looking for... and just to be clear, we are talking front wheel correct? I do have a v20c, I will see that I can think of.

Derek

Haha @ratz
@cruzKurt - I will take you up on that! Let me do some testing put the front wheel in a tray of water and spin the pedals to see where it’s splashing up at). That’ll determine dimensions needed.

cruzKurt

Haha @ratz
@cruzKurt - I will take you up on that! Let me do some testing put the front wheel in a tray of water and spin the pedals to see where it’s splashing up at). That’ll determine dimensions needed.
Awesome, let me know. I was looking at mine yesterday and thinking that sunken in spot on the frame might be a good spot to anchor something. Maybe strap it in with a velcro strap. crude drawing in red below with black velcro strap.

1690551115997.png

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay so i have been a litte busy with life so the bikes have been idle.
fundementally, i dont like riding in the rain, so i dont have fenders for that purpose. i have fenders on my fat upright and my gravel upright to keep the crap (and dirts and mud) off of me.

modern fender design and construction make traditional complaints about fenders inapplicable. weight? nope you can make a fender out of tyvek and abs and other interesting very thin light plastics. also quite easy to form and shape to fit. hardware the same. plastics, alum, etc. aero? plenty of studies show well made and placed fenders are almost no aero penalty. sometimes aero improved.

the front end of the v and the back both are great for fenders. attach at chainstay and fork and then with two small rods to low end. fender will follow tire.

the only issue is getting the clearance right at the downtube dent.

now i just have to find the time.

Derek

Awesome, let me know. I was looking at mine yesterday and thinking that sunken in spot on the frame might be a good spot to anchor something. Maybe strap it in with a velcro strap. crude drawing in red below with black velcro strap.

View attachment 15227
No that would be useless. The water is whipped up somewhere between where your two pieces of blue tape are.

I’m thinking more about using a fender between the fork and chainstay. Possibly trimming a rear SKS Speedrocker attached backwards. Maybe use a rounded fender and 3d print the interfaces for the fender to meet the fork crown and chainstays.

Derek

I’m thinking more about using a fender between the fork and chainstay. Possibly trimming a rear SKS Speedrocker attached backwards. Maybe use a rounded fender and 3d print the interfaces for the fender to meet the fork crown and chainstays.
That would work!