What does your conversion weigh?

moorerp

So what does everyone's conversion weigh? I'm considering a Gary Fisher Joshua K4 as a donor, and saw Defjack's comment that his conversion of this bike weighed 39 pounds. Made me realize I have no idea what the range of reasonable weights is for these things. 39 pounds is heavy for what will essentially be a road bike, but since we're using MTB frames and adding some relatively heavy stuff to them, is 39 lbs. on the low end of what we can expect?

Anybody find and convert a super-light donor mountain bike? For those of us who want the best compromise between inexpensive and going as fast as possible, does the quality of the frame even matter (as long as it's light) since we can upgrade componentry at our discretion?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The coversions are going to be heavy, there's no getting around that. The thing that's weird about them is; they don't ride heavy, especially if you use good quality wheels and components. My original conversion was fast as I wanted it to go. No, it was no Silvio, but it did what I wanted it to do and pretty plushly with that suspension.

Mark