What kind of speed can you average on a Q45?

timspong

I am almost 60 and a bit out of shape as I haven't been on a bike for several years. I can average about 12mph over a 2 hr ride taking it fairly easily. I am not fit enough yet to do too much more than that, (distance or speed).

What kind of average speeds can you get out of it over say a 2 hr+ ride?

I would also be interested on what kind of speed you can get out of it for more long distance riding.

thanks

woodguy

I turned 70 this spring, and have been riding my Q45 since 2018. There are lots of variables for me with speed, including whether I’m riding roads or gravel trails, how many hills are on a particular route, how hard I want to push, how dedicated I am to keeping my weight closer to 200 lb rather than 220. Looking over my Strava feed for this year, I would say I average 14 - 15 mph. I did a couple 70 mile days at about 13. If I work at it all summer, I can build my fitness. When Larry Oslund did a 100 mile Cruzbike challenge, I built myself up and averaged 15.4 mph for 100 miles at the end of the season.

I mostly ride for fun & exercise, but I always seem to be watching my speed. So glad to have the Q45 so I can do it in comfort.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Mostly depends on the tires on the bike, I have taken a Q20 to The tour de tonka in MN and ridden it in a pace lane doing 20mph for an hour no problem. But it was configured to do that. And it really messed with roadies' minds

If you want to build up to 14-15mph I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor and try and ride for 4 weeks limiting your Hr to 180-age at all times. After 4 weeks you will have an amazing aerobic base and 14-15 should be no problem. In the end, all riding starts with the aerobic base and for the athlete over 45-50 years, it's the easiest "get" of all of them. Once you have that the rest is easier by far to chase.

timspong

I went out for a 3 hr ride today. I modified my garmin edge display so it only has cadence and heart rate.

This helped a lot to keep me at my target hr and not bother with speed at all. I plan on doing this for a while until I build up my base a bit.

I have another recumbent hooked up to Zwift where plan on doing some interval type training as it’s easier to keep things consistent.

Hopefully this will gradually raise my average speed.

Thanks for the advice and info.

Cheers

woodguy

Mostly depends on the tires on the bike, I have taken a Q20 to The tour de tonka in MN and ridden it in a pace lane doing 20mph for an hour no problem. But it was configured to do that. And it really messed with roadies' minds

If you want to build up to 14-15mph I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor and try and ride for 4 weeks limiting your Hr to 180-age at all times. After 4 weeks you will have an amazing aerobic base and 14-15 should be no problem. In the end, all riding starts with the aerobic base and for the athlete over 45-50 years, it's the easiest "get" of all of them. Once you have that the rest is easier by far to chase.
If it depends on the tires, then I have room to get faster. I’m currently riding the same tires that came with the bike in 2018, and they are not likely to be the best choice for speed. I switched those tires out for some Schwalbe Marathons when I did a Coast to Coast ride in 2019. When the Marathons wore out, I just went back to the originals. What tire do you recommend Ratz? I ride both roads and trails (some gravel).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That's pretty straightforward forward I did a ton of that research for my T50 builds

If you want bomb-proof and fast enough; Then it's the Marathon Modial DD. It's fast on the road and fast on the gravel and dam near indestructible, goat heads might be a issue but only if you hit one at speed on the side wall. Get the biggest Ethro you can fit on your rimms and run low pressure and they eat up the road. I have mine at 35psi; I just did a 28mph sprint on the T50 this morning and the Silvio had a hard time catching up and passing me on the down hill. Only disadvantage here is they are heavy. The 27.5x2.00 should fit the frame Robert Might know off the top of his head.

Edit: they dropped 650b on the G-One Overland that's a big old bummer it's really the perfect S40 tire in 700c and would have play well on the Q45.

Schwalbe G-One AllAround
with the G- Series go as big as you can get in the frame; and run dump low pressure and thin tubes. In most cases you will wear out the tire before you flat the tube on the road. I have the All-around on Devins' trail bike; same pair 8000 miles and 7 years no flats. It's "ok" in the rain but not heavy rain. This tire does only come into sizes up to 27.5x1.5 so it will fit your frame for sure.

Since there's no Overland in the right size, you probably would want the the Hurricane to fill that void. Again only in the 27.5x2.00 like the Mondial so it could be a tight fit. We need @Robert Holler to comment on fitting a 27.5x2 on the fork.....

G-One Speed ; if you are not doing crushed limestone it's good on real gravel; limestone is too fine; always consider crushed limestone as "Trail Dry" on Schwalbe charts because limestone after 2-3 years basically is just dry dirt the way it interfaces with the tire; it's just resistant to rutting and washing away which is why they use it. It's NOT gravel. I see this one washing out on Limestone in turns.

If you just want to be annoyingly fast on that thing and you are ok changing a tube every 500-800 miles; get's some Kojaks again biggest dam ones you can fit on should be 26.5x1.35 smaller than the G-Series All-around and higher pressure but about 20% faster at least. Then just laugh as you lay down the road when you can do a 60 degree lean into a turn on what is now a GoKart; at $29 a pair it's kinda hard to bitch about the occasional flat tire; just keep them on the road and out of the rain....... Warning they last about 1500 miles at most.

Here are the charts on the 3 tire series; you can find more tuned tires from Maxus and Kendall but they are hard to find and focus on odd wheel sizes like BMX; for example for my 22" wheels I'm pretty much stuck with Kendal for 700c and 650b Schwable for non racing; and Continental and Victtoria for racing.

Conclusion; Get the G-one All around and give it a go and see how you like them.

2023-08-20_12-41-29.png2023-08-20_13-15-56.png2023-08-20_13-19-57.png

Last edited: