What's on your bicycle tour packing list?

Lucia

Administrator
Staff member
I was so grateful for the advice and wisdom of experienced bicycle tourers when Michael and I planned and packed for our first ever self-supported bicycle tour (Q45s in Japan!) a couple years ago. Figuring out what to bring took a huge amount of effort and research and was so overwhelming. (What tools would I need? How do I carry a tent? What clothes? Weather variables! Ahk!). If I hadn't had the support of the Cruzbike team and this community, the whole thing may have seemed a lot less doable.

SO I think we can make travel by bicycle less overwhelming and more achievable for those curious and considering by sharing this community's packing lists and tour snapshots.

Would you be willing to share your packing list? Here's where we are gathering the information: https://forms.gle/mAyvXvA9EiEkMnNP7

Thank you in advance for your help with this, and let me know if you have any other ideas for helping people take the leap to travel by bicycle!

AbramClark

Gear:
  • overnight
    • shelter: Bivy sack (OR Helium) if I do not expect rain. Tarp tent if I expect rain. Camping hammock if rain is reasonable possibility and I know there will be trees.
    • ground pad (Thermarest NeoAir)
    • down quilt if summer (EE Enigma) or down mummy bag if spring / fall / winter
    • thermal base layer (merino wool if winter)
    • tiny inflatable pillow
    • Kindle
  • clothes
    • synthetic poofy jacket (also Enlightened Equipment)
    • 2x spare socks (ideally merino wool for all seasons: easily hand washed, quick drying, odor resistant, insulating when wet, breathable when hot)
    • wind / rain shell (Patagonia H2No?)
    • rain pants (only if rain is forecast)
    • leather gloves (use gardening or driving gloves from hardware store)
    • stretchy nylon shorts with zipper pockets (zipper pockets are critical on recumbents obviously)
    • leggings, long sleeve, t-shirt, Buff (tube that goes around neck or head)
    • wool button up Pendleton shirt
    • handkerchief x2
    • Shoes: Keens (Newport Hydro I believe? I bring one pair that I wear)
  • misc / food / hygiene / tools
    • 1.2 liter carbonated water bottle (bottles sold with carbonated water are insanely durable. mine take years of abuse)
    • Talenti ice cream container for storing leftovers from eating out (I no longer bring cook stove, too much hassle and weight)
    • spork, salve container of toothpaste, tooth brush, salve (for butt buttering mostly), tiny squeeze bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap
    • locking folding knife <3" blade for legality in most cities
    • lighter
    • pump with valve tube (pumps with valve attached to body have far too much risk of breaking a valve stem)
    • set of wrenches, chain breaker, spoke wrench, patch kit, one spare tube (with a flat I use spare tube and patch the old one, so glue can set)
    • LeatherMan Micro (pliers are fantastic for cable work, scissors for nail trimming, flat-head and phillips if they're not in bike multi-tool kit)
    • turn list and map of area downloaded to phone
    • phone, phone charger (usually charge at restaurant / cafe during dinner / lunch)
    • headlight (USB chargeable), helmet with taillight attached
    • pad lock and standard cable (4 feet? long enough to hitch around back wheel, through front wheel and around something)
    • stuffable nylon backpack for snacks and water on day hikes
    • good length of para-cord for who knows what
    • duct tape and electrical tape wrapped around pump
    • "wallet" (cash, credit card, transit card if needed secured with bag clip)
My dry base weight is about 7 lbs, add snacks, water and some randomness and it's usually ~13. I tie sleeping bag to back of seat with para cord through holes drilled in it. Make sure your sleeping bag sack is water proof or put it in a dry bag or trash bag. I jam the bivy sack and ground pad between seat and frame on Silvio. Everything else goes in Radical Design Banana Racer Medium side bags.

Last edited: