Will my bike parts work?

bikeaholic

I am really wanting a silvio and was wondering if my bike parts can be used on the silvio frame. It is a trek fx 7.3 model. The wheels are 700 x 32. For all you technical guys, will this work? ( My mechanical skills consist of changing a tire and cleaning the chain! ) It has a shimano deore derailer and the 3 rings up front. Thanks for any help! :D

Rebeka

JonB

Zen MBB Master
bikeaholic wrote: I am really wanting a silvio and was wondering if my bike parts can be used on the silvio frame. It is a trek fx 7.3 model. The wheels are 700 x 32. For all you technical guys, will this work? ( My mechanical skills consist of changing a tire and cleaning the chain! ) It has a shimano deore derailer and the 3 rings up front. Thanks for any help! :D
Does it use road bike gear or MTB bike gear? How wide is the space between the rear drop out? 130 mm will work, but 135 mm will not work.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Nope, I don't think it will work. From what I've found, your rear hub (front on the Silvio) is 135 mm; mountain bike witdth. Plus, your bike has v-brakes, Silvio needs caliper. The killer, to me, would be the low gearing. A 48 tooth big ring won't give you much top end.

Mark

thadolius

This comment specifically addresses the 700C x 32 tires: On my Silvio, with the xerolite wheels, I'm running 700C x 28 Gatorskins. These have only 1.5 to 2 mm vertical clearance to frame or brake parts (depending on front or rear). I doubt that 32's will fit, unless they have dangerously thin tread.

Thad

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi,

This was recently discussed here:

http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1730

Cheers,

Doug

bikeaholic

Thanks to everyone for your help! It uses mountian bike gearing.

So if you will be patient with me for one more question, Can i use my parts to upgrade the Softrider bike. I would want a tripple ring set up front instead of the 2 ring that comes on it. Will these bike parts work on it?

Thanks to all! :D

Rebeka