Will this Trike Conversion work?

MyFunBikeDotCom

Hello All,

I was thinking about trying a Trike Conversion. The idea is to purchase a Y-Frame Mountain Bike with front and rear disk brakes (which I am having trouble finding), and purchasing a Spooky Tooth Trike Conversion Kit;
http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,74/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,178/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/vmcchk,1/

The conversion kit is made for coaster brakes bicycles with 24 or 26 inch wheels and Non-Quick Release Wheels. The disk brakes from the donor bike can be placed on both back wheels (no brake on front wheel ? ). Perhaps using 20 or 24 inch wheels on the back and a 26 inch wheel on the front. The end product would be kinda like the old plastic big wheels trikes for kids, only this bike would be for adults.

Please respond with any ideas, and any suggestions on where to find a donor bike with dual disk brakes.

thanks,

Jeff

MyFunBikeDotCom

Perhaps another option is to start with a donor adult trike, disconnect the coaster brake, use rear disk brakes and a mountain bike rear wheel in the front. This may be cheaper but a lot of work and standard adult trikes are very heavy.

Please give me your thoughts.

thanks,

Jeff

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I've thought about the adult trike angle. Something like this might work:
tm-desot.jpg

If you could ditch the drive parts and lose the tractor seat... It might be fairly light. Look at how low the Cruzbike seat would sit.... Could be the ticket, but do you want to gamble $400?

Mark

MyFunBikeDotCom

I found a U.S. ToysRUs bike that might work.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2929042

It only has a disk brake on the front but perhaps I could order a second front wheel with a disk brake (I will need a thrid wheel anyway).

I already ride a Freerider and just ordered a conversion kit. It will be fun to see if I can make a cruzbike trike.

thanks for your comments, keep em coming.

Jeff

MyFunBikeDotCom

The problem with using a trike like the one above is it would be too low. I don't want to ride too low. I am half blind anyway, that is why I ride a bike. I have not driven a car since 1993. I like the height of my Freerider, on a regular mountain bike I have trouble ducking on time from low hanging branches.

I will upload pics when the project is finished. All suggestions are appreciated.

Jeff

MyFunBikeDotCom

Does anyone know if there is a such thing as a Dual Cable Disk Brake Lever? If I can run both rear disk brake cables to one lever then I can keep my front brake.

thanks,

Jeff

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
MyFunBikeDotCom wrote: Does anyone know if there is a such thing as a Dual Cable Disk Brake Lever? If I can run both rear disk brake cables to one lever then I can keep my front brake.

thanks,

Jeff
They are available but have different leverage on each cable, so you kind of turn under brakes if the are set to one rear wheel each. Greenspeed make one specifically to avoid this problem.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
MyFunBikeDotCom wrote: The problem with using a trike like the one above is it would be too low. I don't want to ride too low. I am half blind anyway, that is why I ride a bike. I have not driven a car since 1993. I like the height of my Freerider, on a regular mountain bike I have trouble ducking on time from low hanging branches.

I will upload pics when the project is finished. All suggestions are appreciated.
Allright. Then take a look at apax.ca and see how the advanced project would have independent rear wheels.

MyFunBikeDotCom

Wow, that supertrike is cool! It is wild how it goes down stairs and over curbs. Do you know if anyone sells them? The probably cost a bundle.

Anyway, I found a solution for the dual brake lever. The sell one at Spooky Tooth for $13.00. Now I am trying to find disk brakes for the wheels which come with the trike conversion kit at spooky tooth.

Jeff

JonB

Zen MBB Master
MyFunBikeDotCom wrote: Wow, that supertrike is cool! It is wild how it goes down stairs and over curbs. Do you know if anyone sells them? The probably cost a bundle.
No, they dont sell it. They made a few prorotypes, but they dont have the money to start production. apax.ca has been there for a loooong time. I heard something about a projected $2000 pricetag, but that was years ago, and before production starts. I would expect a $3000, maybe a $4000 pricetag today.

My point was that i think you can make something like that from a cruzbike for alot less.

3WHELZ

Guru
Trike Conversion

I thought I would resurrect this thread to see whether anyone has attempted to create a trike using a Cruzbike. I just sold my wife's TerraTrike Cruiser because my wife found it to be too difficult to mount and dismount. A Softrider would be about the right height.

Thanks

Kim Tolhurst

Rear adult trike

A rear end of an adult trike will, with a couple of flat mild steel brackets, fit on the rear of a CB Quest 20. Abandoned project, too tippy,

at any kind of speed. Not to put you off as much as 'be careful'.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
oops

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/clarkson-tips-over-reliant-robin

This is a pretty humorous take on what can happen on a trike of this format, so, yes, be careful. And don't ask me to test ride it!

3WHELZ

Guru
I was afraid that might be

I was afraid that might be the responde. I guess a Greenspeed Anura http://www.greenspeed.com.au/anura_main.html might be the answer.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
@3WHELZ
Greenspeed designers

@3WHELZ
Greenspeed designers have been very particular in where they place body mass with respect to the three wheels. It appears identical to how Hase do it and is not coincedental.

@kidneyboy
I have been interested for quite a while in tilting a cruzbike. What is the purpose of adding another wheel, and if the trike rides like a bike, how is that purpose realised? Very interested in what you are others are doing.

kidneyboy

Here

Here
047.jpg
(Dennis Grelke's I think) is a bolt on tilting rear end. Tires less than shouder width apart.

Balance would be the main reason for the 3rd wheel, of course a tilt lock mechanism of some sort is probably needed. You really have to put yourself in riding situations to see the advantages, staying clipped in when stopped, more confident cornering while riding. Cornering speed would be another reason. Then there is the cool factor
shades_smile.gif

I've been lucky enough to ride a couple of trikes and staying clipped in is pretty nice. Cornering, especially at speed, is interesting though. The go kart feel is fun and I think we all enjoy that, but when you really get moving you want to lean into turns. So the 3 wheels keep you balanced at low speed and the tilting mechanism lets you lean into corners.
The go fast guys are experimenting with these things, which is cool, and there is much talk lately about tilting velos (morciglio) and stuff but the appeal to me is how much fun it looks to ride one.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Questions I have

Questions I have include

1. managing the tilt lock according to speed in a manner that avoids calamitous mistakes, such as thinking you will lean when it is still locked

2. if losing the front wheel in a corner is the true danger of riding a bike, how does two wheels at the rear help?
Interesting stuff, for sure.

WhiteSilvio

Videos of Dennis Grelk in action

Googling "Dennis Grelk New Zealand" brings up a few videos of him in action, including a very short video of him on what one assumes is the tilting machine shown in Kidneyboy's photo. Interesting.

3WHELZ

Guru
Lowering the Center of Gravity

Okay, I have not fully given up on the idea of a front wheel drive delta, and maybe this discussion better belongs on BentRider Online's Homebuilder page, http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12 , but hear me out. I can fully appreciate the instability created by a high center of gravity perched on three wheels. However, could this not be overcome by lowering the center of gravity at or below the axel height of the rear wheels? Racing wheelchairs manufactures, such as Top End, seem to have successfully created a delta that has overcome the instability issue.