GCN and Cruzbike

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Happy to see GCN is putting us in better light.
Maybe - but I'm not sure it really put Cruzbike in a good light or not - but 240 watts for near 25mph? Would be better if he gave us his W/Kg. Plus they never would have shown an upright rider with such a bad fit on a TT bike. Their CDA claim was also 0.12 - sorry - my best on the Magic is 0.13 - and I go 25mph on 160 watts with that.
That setup he has with that non-stock seat puts his shoulders and head crazy high - I doubt if his CDA is 0.20 with that setup- stock seat would put him at least 2 inches lower - and much faster. He needs a much better fit
Again - its nice we are getting some screen time - but I doubt this fit on the V20C beat any TT upright with same power.
Ryan Collins 6'0" tall - can ride his TT at 25mph on 200 watts - much faster than this guy at 240 watts an under 25mph.
I may be wrong, but I don't think this video is going to entice anyone on a properly fit upright TT bike to even try a Cruzbike. :(

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Emmm Hank looked as though he was passing a number of rear disc wheel upright bikes and he wasn't even using one.

He had incredible courage. Even clipped in on his first bike trial. Amazing. And being held for a stop start. That is not easy ... I assume there weren't any up takes...

I would love to see him race that £17 k titanium bike that GCN put together.

Maria Parker

Administrator
Maybe - but I'm not sure it really put Cruzbike in a good light or not - but 240 watts for near 25mph? Would be better if he gave us his W/Kg. Plus they never would have shown an upright rider with such a bad fit on a TT bike. Their CDA claim was also 0.12 - sorry - my best on the Magic is 0.13 - and I go 25mph on 160 watts with that.
That setup he has with that non-stock seat puts his shoulders and head crazy high - I doubt if his CDA is 0.20 with that setup- stock seat would put him at least 2 inches lower - and much faster. He needs a much better fit
Again - its nice we are getting some screen time - but I doubt this fit on the V20C beat any TT upright with same power.
Ryan Collins 6'0" tall - can ride his TT at 25mph on 200 watts - much faster than this guy at 240 watts an under 25mph.
This video is sadly not going to entice anyone on a TT bike to even try it. :(
I disagree Larry. To us who ride and understand this bike, it was hard to watch, but to most people, I think it just came off as really cool. The video was wonderful, and the presentation compelling. Unfortunately, GCN did not give us the opportunity to fit him properly, but we have let them know (as did so many commentators- thank you!) that the fit was all wrong. They will likely do some more for us since the video got a lot more reach than they expected. Keep sharing it with your roadie friends!

Maria Parker

Administrator
Emmm Hank looked as though he was passing a number of rear disc wheel upright bikes and he wasn't even using one.

He had incredible courage. Even clipped in on his first bike trial. Amazing. And being held for a stop start. That is not easy ... I assume there weren't any up takes...

I would love to see him race that £17 k titanium bike that GCN put together.
Yes!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I disagree Larry. To us who ride and understand this bike, it was hard to watch, but to most people, I think it just came off as really cool. The video was wonderful, and the presentation compelling. Unfortunately, GCN did not give us the opportunity to fit him properly, but we have let them know (as did so many commentators- thank you!) that the fit was all wrong. They will likely do some more for us since the video got a lot more reach than they expected. Keep sharing it with your roadie friends!
Thanks for your feedback Maria - I hope you are correct (and as I am accustomed to saying to Gayle: "you usually are right") - It just hurt me to see him so badly fit to it :( - and I also hope there was not some underlying tactic to make Cruzbike look bad (that's the sinical part of me speaking out- sorry!) - If you want to volunteer me to go over there and fit him up for another run - and maybe even a challenge TT afterwards - I'll make myself available.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
This video is sadly not going to entice anyone on a TT bike to even try it. :(
Yep, it is not a "good" or "great" light yet. Of course the majority of their viewers and subscribers are DF riders so the end result of the video has to be something that either attracts more viewers (likely DF riders) or not piss off the ones they currently have. Perhaps someone will make a video of equally equipped bikes for comparison. Not just about speed/power but about all of the other things that makes recumbents great.
Thanks for your feedback Maria - I hope you are correct (and as I am accustomed to saying to Gayle: "you usually are right") - It just hurt me to see him so badly fit to it :( - and I also hope there was not some underlying tactic to make Cruzbike look bad (that's the sinical part of me speaking out- sorry!) - If you want to volunteer me to go over there and fit him up for another run - and maybe even a challenge TT afterwards - I'll make myself available.
You are a champ Larry. Not just on the bike, but off it too.

Beano

It was a good video and a start to something. GCN have had quite a bit of feedback in the comments about Hanks fit on the bike and on a recumbent in general. Like Frito says when I first saw the introduction to the video because of his body position it looked like he was on a S40. Be interested to know how much time he had on the bike before hand he got to grips with riding it well.

Beano

When he referred to Cruzbike as 'Cruz' ;):D

In all seriousness happy to volunteer to go over to Bath where GCN are based. It's about two hours from where I am.

If I had seen this video a few years before I eventually switched to Cruzebike, I probably would’ve transitioned sooner.

For me it was listening to a podcast interviewing Maria (after her RAAM win), then reading the blog & forum.

I tell people my only regret is that I didn’t switch sooner.