Hurricane Florence passing through

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Maria and I wanted to thank everyone for the well-wishes we have been receiving from the Cruzbike community as the storm approaches. We are staying in town because I am on-call at the local hospital where I work. The eye of the storm is expected to pass 30-40 miles south of Lumberton, NC. We are in the zone where very high winds are expected, with gusts >70 mph most likely peaking Friday evening. Here's a map showing the predicted path of the eye, and a wind probability chart. We are thinking of our customers who will also be impacted by the storm. Stay safe and we will be in touch here after the storm (and when we have power/internet).

Jim & Maria
upload_2018-9-13_13-53-52.png

upload_2018-9-13_14-1-39.png

3WHELZ

Guru
Hope all is well for those affected; please be safe! We have home in coastal Pender County near where Florence has made landfall. We expect that it may take a fews days know the outcome given the slow movement of this storm. Fortunately, we are safely out of the way in Northern Virginia.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
If you time the low pressure of the storm eye just right, you can get a tailwind and the benefit of lower air drag.

Seriously, stay safe. Prayers for you all.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hope you are all safe and the worst is over. Be good to hear from you after this passes.
I second that for sure. Let's try and use it as a passing transition... usually when something big is about to happen in my life like a complete change I dream that I am at the bottom of an enormous tidal wave. Not surprisingly I always wake up to a new experience.

It's an historical event... albeit harrowing.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
We are through the worst of the wind now, with speeds today down in the 25 to 40 mph range. The big problem is now flooding. Our river, the Lumber River, is expected (tomorrow) to reach the same level it did during Hurricane Matthew in 2016, which flooded many homes and businesses, and washed away roads. This graph shows the projected flood stages for the Lumber River. The storm is making a slow U-turn around Lumberton, dumping a lot more water into the area.; expecting 12 more inches today.
Maria and I are dog-sitting for a local couple expecting a baby any day now and they needed to leave town or else face being stranded by the floods. So we have three big dogs who have been couped up with us in the house. We took them out for a long walk before dawn this morning in the heavy warm tropical rain. They loved it. And actually, though soaked to the skin, it was fun for us, too. We gave them a soapy bath before letting them back in the house. On the walk we learned that we are, indeed, locked into our neighborhood for now, at least by car. All exit roads are completely flooded. I could take a bike out. Nice thing about having the pedals high is it's easier to ride through deep water. Our city announced yesterday that our water is no longer potable, so we are drinking only bottled water. Most of the city is without power, but miraculously, ours went out several times yesterday, but came back on quickly every time. Last report I heard was six dead in southeastern NC from falling trees, electrocution, drowning, etc. I hope and pray that number doesn't climb any higher.

Jim

upload_2018-9-15_7-18-17.png

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Last Saturday's ride in Myrtle Beach was a lot more fun than today waiting for the storm to pass. It was a real treat to get a chance to ride with you and Maria. Hope you all stay safe.

Thank you for the report. How nice of you to dog sit! So glad you were able to get out a bit. Being cooped up is no fun. Enjoy the dogs. Continued prayers for those in the area.