I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now, A V20c design journal

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Finished my Chain Research.... Ick that's gotten more complicated, but I'm glad it's not a year ago when KMC was chasing SRAM from behind. Scuttlebutt on all the forums is that the SRAM Flat top doesn't play great with the Qrings at all times; sometimes yes, sometimes no, and especially not if you cheat with an 11-speed ring. The KMC Gen 2 does, however, play nice.

So Finding that the KMC works, given our history with them. Never broken one yet, and the survived RAAM, the KMC X12 Gen 2 it will be.

The gold ones are $63, Silver $40. I scored a bulk order of silver at $25 a piece in quantity, so silver it will be. That should make 16 chains for the V20c chains. I think I need about 10. If any needs some 12-speed chains, direct message me; after the builds are done, you can have them $20 plus shipping which should save a few bucks all around, extra if you want me to size them for you; but they will arrived waxed so there's that.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Frame Guardian, Guardian of the Frames stands watch over her cardboard domain until the build can begin...
Yes - for some reason cats love boxes. My wife has bought dozens of "special" cat things, to sleep in, on, play with, etc - but nothing gets more attention than a box - and thanks to Amazon, we have a steady supply. Maybe it is all the strange smells that come with them too ??
Caption: I resemble that remark!
20230729_181253.jpg

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Not such a bad diversion, I've seen way worse haha.

Back to V20s, those cassettes look great Ratz. Yellow V20s are nice, but kind of limited on color matching other than black. I might try red grips when my black foam ones give out.

ratz

Getting close now, all cleaned up and organized. Still missing one set of parts. Busy work week, so I think I'll be limited to finishing up the Bill of Materials for the spreadsheet and posting it with the actual builds and some of the deviations. Should begin the actual build next weekend; just need to figure out where because it's still 115 in the garage. And no I haven't opened the frame boxes yet.

IMG_0667.jpeg

Reactions: mia

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Getting close now, all cleaned up and organized. Still missing one set of parts. Busy work week, so I think I'll be limited to finishing up the Bill of Materials for the spreadsheet and posting it with the actual builds and some of the deviations. Should begin the actual build next weekend; just need to figure out where because it's still 115 in the garage. And no I haven't opened the frame boxes yet.
I think you should just to come the Cruzike Mesuem for a long weekend - it's cool in there - and I'll video the whole thing for you!

ratz

Ok The Prilimnary BOM is done. Some fine tweaking to do yet.
5 Designs; all based on the 1x12 design and one 2x12.
All Designs are digital shifting

I'm sure I'm missing something......

Excel file attached.

2023-08-19_19-40-12.png

The Climber:

2023-08-19_19-43-53.png

The All Arounder:

2023-08-19_19-44-01.png

The TT'er:

2023-08-19_20-55-45.png

The Value 1x12:

2023-08-19_19-44-31.png

The Value 2x12:

2023-08-19_19-44-39.png

Attachments

• 2023-08-19_19-44-10.png
    2023-08-19_19-44-10.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 24
  • vbom.xls
    386 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Those look spiffy Ratz, but are the cranksets for the TT'er and the climber swapped? I can see the 9-45t cassette for the TT'er, but a 44T crankset?

ratz

Those look spiffy Ratz, but are the cranksets for the TT'er and the climber swapped? I can see the 9-45t cassette for the TT'er, but a 44T crankset?
Opps that's suppose to be a 50T; the rotor is cool because you can order any size and it's the same price.

Fixed screen shot and spreadsheet attached.

I felt pretty good with the results; a Trek Madone is a great reference bike because you can configure it to be all three of these roles and it's hard to argue with that. The All arounder Madone for 2023 is 13k list, best price 10.5k. So we are cheaper, faster, and more comfortable. So that was cool. Meanwhile being all carbon and digital and being only 2.5k more than the factory complete bike; makes these a great value; just add elbow grease.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have just been looking at what the latest crit riders are riding. Sram 52/10 for sprinting.

I have nag at the back of my head.

I have some pbs that I still have not cracked from 2016 when I had a rotor 54t Q ring and 165mm shimano cranks. I am 5kilos over weight and 11 seconds off that record... so it's nearly had with the current set up. Fortunately I don't have tendernitus in the forearms and my knees don't hurt for days after.

@ratz, you say the front end is really light? How much different, 1lbs? Or 1kilo?

Last edited:

ratz

@ratz, you say the front end is really light? How much different, 1lbs? Or 1kilo?
The cranks get here soon so we will start to find out this weekend. But it feels substantial. It’s gonna be > 2lbs less

ratz

All parts are here; tomorrow after the 6am ride with the kiddos photography beings.