Kikr monitor speed reading

ts40m

Hi I recently set up my s40 on a kikr trainer. My typical steady state power during a workout is around 200 watts at 83 RPM or so. Some sessions this shows as 17 mph and others 20 mph. Why is this varying? I believe the power output is consistent as perceived effort and heart rate are similar session to session.

thanks

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Are you doing a Zwift workout? Was your workout in erg or Sim mode? The gradient is going to have an impact in Sim mode. Erg mode forces you to use the same power, Someone else will have to verify, but I think the speed will still vary based upon terrain in erg. Come join our Virtual Cruzbike group. It has a lot of Zwifting knowledge.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi I recently set up my s40 on a kikr trainer. My typical steady state power during a workout is around 200 watts at 83 RPM or so. Some sessions this shows as 17 mph and others 20 mph. Why is this varying? I believe the power output is consistent as perceived effort and heart rate are similar session to session.
That seems like really slow speed for that power, but you speed in Zwift depends on your actual Wt/Kg number, the bike you are riding, the terrain and if you are drafting in a group. If I ride the Tron bike on the dessert route I can average about 20 mph on 2.0 Wt/Kg, I weight about 60 kg, so that is about 120 watts. I can ride at about 150 watts and ride with the Pace Group C on the dessert course at about 25 mph.

I know that on my TACX the recorded speed and miles are dependent on the selected gear and cadence, while resistance is maintained by the program. (In my case Trainer Road)

LarryOz

what program is telling you what your speed and miles are. You did not mention Zwift - are yo just using the Wahoo interface with the KICKR or something else. If so, then it just depends on what gear you on in. And if you are in ERG mode then you could be in any gear and spin at any cadence at the power lever, so your speed could be all over the place

ts40m

what program is telling you what your speed and miles are. You did not mention Zwift - are yo just using the Wahoo interface with the KICKR or something else. If so, then it just depends on what gear you on in. And if you are in ERG mode then you could be in any gear and spin at any cadence at the power lever, so your speed could be all over the place

ts40m

That seems like really slow speed for that power, but you speed in Zwift depends on your actual Wt/Kg number, the bike you are riding, the terrain and if you are drafting in a group. If I ride the Tron bike on the dessert route I can average about 20 mph on 2.0 Wt/Kg, I weight about 60 kg, so that is about 120 watts. I can ride at about 150 watts and ride with the Pace Group C on the dessert course at about 25 mph.[/QUOTE

ts40m

That seems like really slow speed for that power, but you speed in Zwift depends on your actual Wt/Kg number, the bike you are riding, the terrain and if you are drafting in a group. If I ride the Tron bike on the dessert route I can average about 20 mph on 2.0 Wt/Kg, I weight about 60 kg, so that is about 120 watts. I can ride at about 150 watts and ride with the Pace Group C on the dessert course at about 25 mph.

LarryOz

Yes just using the wahoo interface thanks
Then you speed will only be based on your gearing and rpm. Speed is really irrelevant when training. Power is King, just make sure you calibrate the KICKR per instructios

ts40m

Sorry haven’t used the forum so forgive the blank responses. This is my time I’ve had power monitor feedback so thanks for listing speeds by power for your set up. I think yours are on a v20 but still interesting. The kikr is great. Joe
Then you speed will only be based on your gearing and rpm. Speed is really irrelevant when training. Power is King, just make sure you calibrate the KICKR per instructios

ts40m

Sorry haven’t used the forum so forgive the blank responses. This is my time I’ve had power monitor feedback so thanks for listing speeds by power for your set up. I think yours are on a v20 but still interesting. The kikr is great. Joe

To your point about calibration this model self calibrates when coasting in spin down mode - as they can calculate internal resistance from that. At least that is my understanding.