MAF Training 2023

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The question came up on the other thread; What am I doing in particular with MAF and my return from the brink of Self-inflicted Diabetes or whatever the heck made my Dr. Scare the crap out of me. So here's the MAF training thread for 2023

This thread will be a journal for people to use as they like. I'll turn it into the real stuff later on, which means documentation and training plans. If someone what's to contribute or play along, you would need a free Training Peaks account and contact me to link it to my resurrected coaching system.

Regarding the MAF stuff, I'm refining that right now with some research on current knowledge ( a number of people have built on the work I started and have kept me in the loop via links to content; I've been lapsing in actually reading it so digging out)

For reference:

1. I have all the training plans we built for the RAAM relay team, and my thoughts on MAF heavily influence that.
2. I have all the Ultra Sweet Spot Training plans I built for recumbent riders; for use with Trainer Road and Zwift ERG training. I need to re-acquaint myself with what they do, but I documented most of it. and there's a lot in the threads
3. Lastly, I have my Couch to Race Plan, which is a Mix of MAF and Power training for the skeptics

I've got some personal challenges that will flavor my MAF training journey to the hard end of the spectrum.
1. During CoVID, I contract High Blood Pressure and a Racing Heart Rate, both now under control with Medication, but that's -10 BPM in the MAF world, or the same as aging 10 years
2. Be off the bike and detrained from that -5 BPM
3. Having spent a ton of time on the road for Business and a month in the Hospital for my father, I climbed my way up to 225 lbs on a frame build for 185.

Finally found my motivation muse again, and the bikes are tuned up and reading for the road and the trainer. (Mostly the trainer, but knowing the road bikes are ready is a trigger to get me going).

My Goal: Down to 185-175 by December 31st.
My Halfway Stretch goal: Ride in the Texas Time in September for a minimum of 4 hours
My longer goal was Sebring, but that's toast, so maybe that will become 12-24 hours of Zwift Jan1st.
2024 Do a race where I'm there to measure myself and not support others.

My MAF Setup:
180 - 54(age) - 10(meds) -5(de-trailed) = 111 bpm

Phase 1 - 4 weeks- now complete
P1- Step 1: Take a Ramp Test but stop the minute it's even remotely uncomfortable (Don't push). I got an FTP of 142 which turned out to be dead on.
P1 - Step 2: Train for two weeks on endurance rides and keep HR below 180 - age = 126 bpm
P1 - Step 3: Train for 1 week on 180 - 54(age) - 10(meds) -5(de-trailed) = 111 bpm
P1 - Step 4: Recovery week. It's now 111 bpm no compromise

Note: I probably could have gutted out an FTP of 162 on that first test, but I wanted an FTP that I could truly do, not what I could turn myself inside out to do.

How I'm executing this until begin coaching myself
Training on Trainer Road, Zwift Erg would work too
- Using Traditional Base Plan "Mid Volume Phase 1"
- Using AI FTP detection, so one and only 1 Ramp Test is needed in the first 12 weeks

The current Plan is to do the following, which I always regretted not doing when cooking these things up because I my brain would get ahead of my fitness.

Step 1. Ride the 4 Week Traditional Base on MAF heart rate; (First Loop through this all weeks 1 and 2 to be just 180 - age for adaption)
Step 2. Assess new FTP (using AI for minimal impact if possible, aka no ramp test)
Step 3. If the heart rate required to complete Ride is Trending down, ride override; aka they are getting easier, then set new FTP and return to Step 1
Step 4. If heart/power plateau is reached, aka FTP isn't increased and HR is not coming down anymore, then Conduct a Power Profile Test
Step 5. Conduct a 4-week build block using polarized trailing to "de-stall FTP Progress,
Step 6. FTP should have gone up; Conduct another Power Profile Test and return to Step 1 and remove the -5pm for being detained

I figure it's going to take 20 weeks minimum to get to step 4, if not longer, and I'm ok with that;

I stumbled on this today, and it's exactly what I needed to remember:
"Why heart rate when we have all these advances, power meters, etc.? It’s quite simple really. The common ‘wisdom’ is that heart rate is too variable to be a reliable training metric. It gets affected by (lack of) sleep, stress, coffee, etc. This is exactly why it is the most important metric – it is the biofeedback you are receiving from your body. With the current state, stress, fatigue you are experiencing this is what you are capable of achieving aerobically while burning fat rather than sugar (glucose). How would you know if you are improving?"

ratz

Graphically the plan looks like this (at the end of cycle #1 next week and heading into cycle 2 the week after):

All the training stays right in the optimal zone; first graph.
Meanwhile, the growth is linear and controlled; no spikes, no overstressing on any of the metrics. 2nd and 3rd Graph.

By my reckoning, this will keep me healthy and is giving things like my tendons time to acclimate to the load.

2023-07-14_23-04-01.png

2023-07-14_23-10-02.png

ratz

Session NameGoalDescription
Endurance rideBuild endurance and fat-burningFairly comfortable ride of 90mins+ at MAF heart-rate. If tired, or struggling to hold that heart-rate do aerobic intervals – e.g. 5mins at MAF-10 to MAF bpm, with a few minutes recovery, then repeat
Over-gear workBuild strengthDropping cadence to 50-60rpm, and putting the bike into its highest gear to build functional strength. Turn off ERG if on trainer

e.g. 6 x 5mins at MAF, with a few minutes recovery
Single-leg drillsTechnique/strengthUnclipping one foot from the pedals and using the other leg to do all the work. This helps improve strength-endurance as the working leg gets no rest during the pedal stroke. This also highlights any dead-spots in your pedal stroke, helping to improve efficiency. Will struggle to get up to MAF during this session.

e.g. 5x1minute on each leg, with 30secs easy pedalling with both feet between sets.
Neuromuscular effortsStrengthHelps recruit more of the muscle fibres you have, rather than build new fibres. Try and do this every few weeks to make sure use of all leg muscles efficiently.

e.g. From a slow start in your highest gear to a full sprint (10-30secs), plenty of recovery, then repeat x10. (Tractor Pulls)
Anaerobic sessionStrength / speed-enduranceAfter adequate base training, Involve one anaerobic session per week into bike training (> MAF bpm). This can be for strength, doing short efforts with lots of recovery
e.g. 10x2mins, with 2mins recovery

e.g. 3 x 20mins @160-165bpm, with 5 mins recovery.

Table above details how to get Strength workouts without going Anaerobic until very late in the process after the base is established.

ratz

Progress Report: MAF Training Cycle #1 Finishes today.

1. Graphics attached for those that want to extra the TSS and IF progressions I selected. This is not a stock plan.

2. I am using the AI FTP Detection instead of FTP steps (excluding the 1st one). This let me up the FTP at the midpoint of each cycle and avoid the hurdle of having FTP going up at the end of each cycle which is an impediment to MAF Training.

3. First Cycle was a success; as of yesterday, I could ride at CAD>=Power for 75 minutes and needed to spin at 120 to approach my MAF ceiling

4. Next up will be to ramp back up at the current FTP and then let the AI recalculate again at the midpoint which should raise the difficulty right as I'm read for it.

5. Cycle #2 will be mostly a repeat of Cycle #1, just at a higher FTP as I continue to build the base.

6. Cycle #1 was accomplished on a diet where most day where <= 1000 ish calories thanks to carb free diet < 25g per day.2023-07-22_09-31-11.png

Progress Report: MAF Training Cycle #1 Finishes today.

1. Graphics attached for those that want to extra the TSS and IF progressions I selected. This is not a stock plan.

2. I am using the AI FTP Detection instead of FTP steps (excluding the 1st one). This let me up the FTP at the midpoint of each cycle and avoid the hurdle of having FTP going up at the end of each cycle which is an impediment to MAF Training.

3. First Cycle was a success; as of yesterday, I could ride at CAD>=Power for 75 minutes and needed to spin at 120 to approach my MAF ceiling

4. Next up will be to ramp back up at the current FTP and then let the AI recalculate again at the midpoint which should raise the difficulty right as I'm read for it.

5. Cycle #2 will be mostly a repeat of Cycle #1, just at a higher FTP as I continue to build the base.

6. Cycle #1 was accomplished on a diet where most day where <= 1000 ish calories thanks to carb free diet < 25g per day.View attachment 15147
I see you raised your weekly TSS about the same amount each weak until your fourth, recovery week. Did this allow strength/condition to build while not being overcome with fatigue? And is it possible to "forecast" a TSS if riding outdoors?
I'm guessing you dropped weight as well while increasing fitness?

ratz

I see you raised your weekly TSS about the same amount each weak until your fourth, recovery week. Did this allow strength/condition to build while not being overcome with fatigue? And is it possible to "forecast" a TSS if riding outdoors?
I'm guessing you dropped weight as well while increasing fitness?
That is correct you have to Add TSS for a minimum of 3 weeks and max of 5; then take a rest week; and do agin

If the letters A through F are weekly TSS total increasing by 15-30 and R is recovery week then the pattern is

Block 1: A, B, C, R
Block 2: B, C, D, R
Block 3: C, D, E, R
Block 4: D, E, F, R

If FTP is low, then it will increase and scale the workout as fitness increases and the weekly jumps can be 15-20 ish; if FTP is high, then the jumps would be 20-30. The above gets you a 4-month base build, sufficient for active athletes, then you switch to a build to match the events. For out of shape like me you just keep doing it until the weight is down to target; then you switch build to add 5 pounds of muscle etc.

Outdoor rides are usually garbage TSS done at Tempo. Focus on outdoor rides as "Sunday Drives" go slow and look at that scenery.

Losing weight in my case won't affect anything indoors riding-wise, but it's a big difference in that the better your health gets the better you feel so the better you training. Out Door Watts/KG it's like free power. FTP is for show, W/Kg is for Go!

ratz

Ok, I'm overdue on my accountability reports.

Day 42.
Weight is 198, down 24 lbs.
The target is still 175, currently on a plateau due to lack of sleep.
18 hour Fasting over a few days will likely be required to smack the metabolism back in line (not my strong suit)
FTP: 163 up 21 watts
Training has been 4 days a week
Time per day ranges from 90 minutes to 135 minutes
At no time has my heart rate exceeded 180-age and is usually below 180-age-10-5
I'm now able to punch out 980 watts before my HR hits 126 and shut it down before I shoot past.
Two hours tonight just pumping out 100-110 watts none stop, no break, while reading a book.
I have 3 more days, then a recovery week.

After that, I'm supposed to switch to polarized; need to think long and hard about that depending on if the weight is unstuck. 2 weeks of food control, especially on recovery week, might unstick me and allow for the harder stuff; if not; well it's four more weeks grinding out the hours and that meaning 2hrs paired with 3hrs on back to back days to maintain the pace of the plan... I need more books.

The recovery week on the graph screams slacker!!! but I'm ok I can slack if I'm getting fitter and faster.

2023-08-07_20-30-06.png2023-08-07_20-42-45.png

ratz

Day 73
Weight is 193, down 29 lbs
The target is still 175, currently on another plateau, probably my I'm doing an update because it motivates me.
The periodic 18-hour fasting worked and moved me down another 5 lbs.
Now I'm probably plateaued for work stress and spending far too many hours working on the build diary
Training remains 4 days a week.

I am now testing a Polarized Phase to see if I'm ready. I did have a false start with trying to do Threshold as my polar workout; that's a bit much for me now. I could do threshold power but I was getting a VO2Max Heart rate response. That's not giving me the Polar intensity that I'm looking for; it's out of balance

This is what the Threshold week looked like.

2023-09-06_21-17-00.png

Here's the problem I need to solve... I'm trying to lose weight and strengthen my heart and as a side benefit get faster. The threshold workouts had those goals backward it was going to make me faster, but I was loading the system in such a way that I would have to eat differently and stall the weight loss.

Meanwhile, if I switch to Anaerobic power workouts; they are at my strength max but in my Temp HR with recoveries back down to Aerobic. Then I can accomplish the goals stimulate the muscles to get strong and continue to be power these workouts mostly a fasted state
2023-09-06_21-23-02.png

So now the plan looks like this

Polarized workout; true recovery workout, long aerobic workout; really Looooong football watching workout. Halfway through the second week, this is much better. My FTP is up to 174 and the level of workout I can now do after just 44 workouts is outstanding. Only 3 times have I been worn out by the rides and that was usually caused by outside life inputs not the rides themselves.

2023-09-06_21-38-57.png

So the rest of this phase looks like this:

2023-09-06_21-41-07.png
TSS progression isn't arithmetic because I have travel coming up and this is really a 8-week block without a recover week so TSS is a bit of a sing wave on purpose.

At this time I have the threshold-style training plan done; if someone wants to try it out, there is one open slot to bring on another trainee. Three people are going through that protocol; One person is doing a time-constrained specialization, and I'm currently testing the above on myself. To participate, you need a Training Peaks free or pro account and either Trainer Road or Zwift. Schedules are compatible with Zwift Racing and outdoor riding.

Here's some analysis of the effectiveness of the Anaerobic Workouts and the impact of the Polarized changes to the training plan and forecasts. Notice that everything a linear progress. No spikes to overly rapid ramps.

2023-09-06_22-08-07.png