Silvio Prototype I

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
This is the first Silvio prototype, it has a Sofrider front end and a rear triangle at 130mm. It is a nice ride though. Its first ride other than verifying the gears and brakes around a car park in Las Vegas was on the Interbike Canyon Ride, where we were hitting about 65kph. Hmm, not the introduction one might choose with a totally new bike!! Fortunately it all hung together, very well in fact.

The bike originally has Ultegra with an FSA crankset and Easton wheels, but currently has an antique (70s) campagnolo groupset and wheels. Very nice. Not ridden much at the moment but its owner is well deserving!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
John,

That looks pretty cool. How does it ride with that handebar setup? Love the downtube shifters on the riser!

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
It rides pretty nice according to my mate William who owns it. I gifted the frame to him when my second prototype came in as recognition for all the support he has given us. William runs the server that we are working off and helped me with the original conversion prototype.

The bars have the shape of an arc. The levers work nice if you have big hands and can work them from atop the bar in the middle. Not a good spot for hill climbing though.

John

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: It rides pretty nice according to my mate William who owns it. I gifted the frame to him when my second prototype came in as recognition for all the support he has given us. William runs the server that we are working off and helped me with the original conversion prototype.

The bars have the shape of an arc. The levers work nice if you have big hands and can work them from atop the bar in the middle. Not a good spot for hill climbing though.

John

I like it. I like it a lot. If it were mine.... I'd set up a pair of Shimano barcons on Paul Thumbies. Run 'em in friction mode. Cheaper than going all the way with STI OR Campy. I bet it would be a lot easier to shift on the fly than it is now.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I remember building that bike up. Never laid eyes on the Silvio before. It had been months on my screen and I had the odd photo of the frame as it came together. That's what its like designing in the southern hemisphere and prototyping in the northern hemisphere. We picked up the boxes and took it to our hotel room and unpacked it all. Gradually put it together. I put the coffee table upside down on the arms of a lounge chair to make a place to set my tools. Late at night it was all together and my wife and I set to figuring out exactly where the decals should go. In the harsh electric down lights it was hard to really appreciate but next morning I rolled it into the hotel car park and did a couple of laps. Wow, very nice. Looked nice, felt nice, ran nice. Later I took the bike to LA to meet Tom Traylor and we spent an afternoon going over it and his many nice bikes. It was then that I decided to develop the whole new front end, which took a year to get 10 into production and shipped. Its a huge piece of work to design a totally new bike from scratch and I'm glad people like the result. William likes his and since he is a bit of a collector of rare items it was fitting to let him have it. And he fits it up with antique bicycle parts, which all fit. Wow, still blows me away. Definitely the bike for the museum one day.

At the time the other cruzbike people were not too sure where I was going and if it was what we should be investing in. For me, it was just a design passion I had to let out. There will be other revolutionary bikes come off my drawing board, but the Silvio experience will never be repeated. It can be improved upon in time I'm sure, but there will never be another world's first FWD MBB road bike.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: At the time the other cruzbike people were not too sure where I was going and if it was what we should be investing in. For me, it was just a design passion I had to let out. There will be other revolutionary bikes come off my drawing board, but the Silvio experience will never be repeated. It can be improved upon in time I'm sure, but there will never be another world's first FWD MBB road bike.
When are those bikes comming ;-) it will be interesting to see what revolutionary bikes comes out from you again. How many hours a day do you spent on new bikes? and improving what you already have?

Do you (or cruzbike) do any engineering calculations to see if existing bikes can be made lighter?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: I remember building that bike up. Never laid eyes on the Silvio before. It had been months on my screen and I had the odd photo of the frame as it came together. That's what its like designing in the southern hemisphere and prototyping in the northern hemisphere. We picked up the boxes and took it to our hotel room and unpacked it all. Gradually put it together. I put the coffee table upside down on the arms of a lounge chair to make a place to set my tools. Late at night it was all together and my wife and I set to figuring out exactly where the decals should go. In the harsh electric down lights it was hard to really appreciate but next morning I rolled it into the hotel car park and did a couple of laps. Wow, very nice. Looked nice, felt nice, ran nice.

That's a neat story. Thanks for taking the time to share! That original Silvio would, indeed, be a nice piece to have in any collection.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
When are those bikes comming ;-) it will be interesting to see what revolutionary bikes comes out from you again. How many hours a day do you spent on new bikes? and improving what you already have?

Do you (or cruzbike) do any engineering calculations to see if existing bikes can be made lighter?
I spend an average 3 hours a day on design work. I consult our frame maker's engineers from time to time.