V20c accessories

Midnight

Starting the journey - first ever recumbent and need to sort out must haves.

V20c - soon to be new owner. The only aftermarket add is adjustable headrest.

plan on installing - Zefal spy mirror or mirrors
- water bottle cages? Side mount under seat best for this bike??
- daytime headlight - BB mount and bar sold on this site the best route?
light - Cygo light from the site? not a big fan of the rubber band mount types.
I currently use Lyzene with a thru mount beneath my computer mount
- I also use a. Garmin varia radar light - just strap on the rear of the seat?
- tool bag and/or food accessories bag suggestions?

I Appreciate any and all help from those who have been down the same path !

Last edited:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Welcome aboard, @Midnight. Excellent question, but be ready; you're going to get a million different suggestions because each V rider finds his or her own way toward accessorizing the bike to best fit their needs and riding style. The process is fairly personal, and what works best for one rider might make little to no sense to another. So with that, after eight years on a V, here's some of what I have cooking, with no claims that it's the best way to go for anyone but me:

* A Zefal spy mirror on each side. You'll use the left one the most, but there are times when you'll use the right. Better to have it than wish you did.

* I run four side-mount bottle cages--two under the seat and two behind the head. I use the one or two behind the head 99% of the time because most of my rides are either 60 miles or less, or longer but supported. When I go for longer unsupported rides, I load up all four bottle cages.

* For daytime lights I use a Light & Motion VIS 360 Pro Helmet Light. I went this route for a couple of reasons: first, it puts the light up as high as it will go on a V--the top of the head. Second, it allows me to point the light where I'm looking. I can aim the headlight at a car that has that I'm-going-to-pull-out-in-front-of-you-because-I-didn't-quite-see-you-there vibe going on. Mounting the light up front where the bb is would also work, but I've always wondered how much side-angle visibility is cut off by the feet and crankarms going round and round. Another plus with the VIS 360 is that one battery powers both lights, and a single charge, on flashing mode, lasts quite a while. A bummer for some might be that this is not the most sleek or aero looking approach to daytime lights.

* I do have a bb mounted light that uses the Cruzbike V20c bracket, but I only mount and use that for longer rides like double centuries that might start or end in the dark--something I do about once a year. In that case, the light is more about lighting the way than just being seen.

* I recently became a Varia believer, but struggled to find a good spot to mount the rear radar free of obstruction. I decided to fabricate a small bracket out of 1 inch x .25 inch aluminum bar stock, which I then epoxied to the left-side bottle cage behind the headrest, using super strong J-B Weld. I tapped screw holes into the bracket and attached a plastic Garmin mount (about $10 for a four pack on Amazon) for the radar. Since I already have the helmet-mounted rear light, I went with the smaller, non-lighted radar. But the lighted model would work fine too. There is a small voice in my head that says that the J-B Weld could give way one sunny day, but it is rated for up to 5000 pounds, and I have used it for other applications without a single failure. So far so good, hundreds of miles of lumpy roads and all.

* Bags are super personal. Some people are minimalists, trying to get away with carrying the least amount of stuff (I am one of those), while others prefer to have the space to load up when they want to. There are several threads on the forum about bag/storage options for a variety of riding situations. For me, I carry food on me for longer rides, in jerseys with side or front pockets ("recumbent jerseys"), while a small roadside repair kit is strapped to the main frame, under the seat. My pump rides along between the two headrest bottle cages, on a cage bracket that I fabricated after the bolt on the Cruzbike headrest cage carrier broke--twice.

I hope this helps some. I've added a few pictures, which might clear up some of my descriptions.

Happy riding...

Attachments

• V 1.jpeg
    V 1.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 48
  • V 2.jpeg
    V 2.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 45
  • V 3.jpeg
    V 3.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 47
  • V 4.jpeg
    V 4.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 40
  • V 5.jpeg
    V 5.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 39
  • V 6.jpeg
    V 6.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
  • V 7.jpeg
    V 7.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 38
  • V 8.jpeg
    V 8.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 40
  • V 9.jpeg
    V 9.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 44

Midnight

Welcome aboard, @Midnight. Excellent question, but be ready; you're going to get a million different suggestions because each V rider finds his or her own way toward accessorizing the bike to best fit their needs and riding style. The process is fairly personal, and what works best for one rider might make little to no sense to another. So with that, after eight years on a V, here's some of what I have cooking, with no claims that it's the best way to go for anyone but me:

* A Zefal spy mirror on each side. You'll use the left one the most, but there are times when you'll use the right. Better to have it than wish you did.

* I run four side-mount bottle cages--two under the seat and two behind the head. I use the one or two behind the head 99% of the time because most of my rides are either 60 miles or less, or longer but supported. When I go for longer unsupported rides, I load up all four bottle cages.

* For daytime lights I use a Light & Motion VIS 360 Pro Helmet Light. I went this route for a couple of reasons: first, it puts the light up as high as it will go on a V--the top of the head. Second, it allows me to point the light where I'm looking. I can aim the headlight at a car that has that I'm-going-to-pull-out-in-front-of-you-because-I-didn't-quite-see-you-there vibe going on. Mounting the light up front where the bb is would also work, but I've always wondered how much side-angle visibility is cut off by the feet and crankarms going round and round. Another plus with the VIS 360 is that one battery powers both lights, and a single charge, on flashing mode, lasts quite a while. A bummer for some might be that this is not the most sleek or aero looking approach to daytime lights.

* I do have a bb mounted light that uses the Cruzbike V20c bracket, but I only mount and use that for longer rides like double centuries that might start or end in the dark--something I do about once a year. In that case, the light is more about lighting the way than just being seen.

* I recently became a Varia believer, but struggled to find a good spot to mount the rear radar free of obstruction. I decided to fabricate a small bracket out of 1 inch x .25 inch aluminum bar stock, which I then epoxied to the left-side bottle cage behind the headrest, using super strong J-B Weld. I tapped screw holes into the bracket and attached a plastic Garmin mount (about $10 for a four pack on Amazon) for the radar. Since I already have the helmet-mounted rear light, I went with the smaller, non-lighted radar. But the lighted model would work fine too. There is a small voice in my head that says that the J-B Weld could give way one sunny day, but it is rated for up to 5000 pounds, and I have used it for other applications without a single failure. So far so good, hundreds of miles of lumpy roads and all.

* Bags are super personal. Some people are minimalists, trying to get away with carrying the least amount of stuff (I am one of those), while others prefer to have the space to load up when they want to. There are several threads on the forum about bag/storage options for a variety of riding situations. For me, I carry food on me for longer rides, in jerseys with side or front pockets ("recumbent jerseys"), while a small roadside repair kit is strapped to the main frame, under the seat. My pump rides along between the two headrest bottle cages, on a cage bracket that I fabricated after the bolt on the Cruzbike headrest cage carrier broke--twice.

I hope this helps some. I've added a few pictures, which might clear up some of my descriptions.

Happy riding...
Thanks - this helps! Water bottle cages and lights I have - for the conventional set up. I believe they will work on the V20c as well. I'm a bag collector - the search for the perfect size and fit has been a 40 year adventure. Some work in this format while others don’t. I’ll experiment with existing on that too probably.

Starting the journey - first ever recumbent and need to sort out must haves.

V20c - soon to be new owner. The only aftermarket add is adjustable headrest.

plan on installing - Zefal spy mirror or mirrors

I Appreciate any and all help from those who have been down the same path !
I'd highly recommend Fidlock for the water bottle... I've used their magnetic / mechanical locking system on my V20 for a year and it's brilliant... the magnets pull the bottle straight in when fitting and you simply twist it to remove it... I'll never go back to a conventional water bottle cage

Under-seat water bottles are an easy way to add more carrying capacity, but do catch air, slowing you down a bit. I use this option sparingly.
The V20c Light Mount is solid and makes for a great place for a light. Lights on the handlebars tend to reflect off the legs and be irritating.
The Moose Pack is a good choice for carrying tools, tubes, and such. Aerodynamics are actually improved when in use. I recommend using something like a piece of fender to keep the bag clean and off the tire.

I'd highly recommend Fidlock for the water bottle... I've used their magnetic / mechanical locking system on my V20 for a year and it's brilliant... the magnets pull the bottle straight in when fitting and you simply twist it to remove it... I'll never go back to a conventional water bottle cage
That looks like it would work well behind the head. Probably would eliminate the water bottle ejections I’ve had. I don’t think it’d work under the seat, though.

Bo6

Happy riding...
Nice list I like the visor where did you get it?

Chicorider is spot on with his suggestions.

I have taken a minimalist approach thus far with my V20c purchased last Labor Day weekend. I have a Zefal spy mirror on the left handlebar, a Garmin computer mount (fastened with elastic o rings) near the middle of the handlebar, a moose pack V20c frame pack behind in the triangle under seat ahead of rear wheel, bottle cages, headrest cage mount kit and utility post add-on behind seat. These are all sold by Cruzbike except the Garmin mount which came with my Garmin computer.

I put a bolt through the hole on the frame in front of the rear wheel to prevent the moose pack bag from sliding back and hitting the rear wheel.
I also found that half inch pvc pipe can slide into the utility post to give more reach to the utility post. I use that to mount a second light above the one I attach to the utility post and to free up space on the utility post for a possible Varia radar in the future. My wife stitched up a custom sandwich bag that I attached to the back of the seat.

In the moose pack bag I have spare tube and tire tools, the hex tools that came with the V20c, the tool for loosening the thru axle, a small air pump that threads onto the valve stem to inflate and a small wash towel. Before riding, I add my keys and phone to the moose bag. add a sandwich to the sandwich bag, add the water bottles to the cages and mount the Garmin computer.

Oh yeah, added a velco strap in case that I keep around frame in front of seat. When resting the bike I may latch it around frame and front wheel to prevent front wheel from turning.

Attachments

• V20cOnBridge.png
    V20cOnBridge.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • LightsOnUtilityPost.jpg
    LightsOnUtilityPost.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231223_115324031.jpg
    IMG_20231223_115324031.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Midnight

Chicorider is spot on with his suggestions.

I have taken a minimalist approach thus far with my V20c purchased last Labor Day weekend. I have a Zefal spy mirror on the left handlebar, a Garmin computer mount (fastened with elastic o rings) near the middle of the handlebar, a moose pack V20c frame pack behind in the triangle under seat ahead of rear wheel, bottle cages, headrest cage mount kit and utility post add-on behind seat. These are all sold by Cruzbike except the Garmin mount which came with my Garmin computer.

I put a bolt through the hole on the frame in front of the rear wheel to prevent the moose pack bag from sliding back and hitting the rear wheel.
I also found that half inch pvc pipe can slide into the utility post to give more reach to the utility post. I use that to mount a second light above the one I attach to the utility post and to free up space on the utility post for a possible Varia radar in the future. My wife stitched up a custom sandwich bag that I attached to the back of the seat.

In the moose pack bag I have spare tube and tire tools, the hex tools that came with the V20c, the tool for loosening the thru axle, a small air pump that threads onto the valve stem to inflate and a small wash towel. Before riding, I add my keys and phone to the moose bag. add a sandwich to the sandwich bag, add the water bottles to the cages and mount the Garmin computer.

Oh yeah, added a velco strap in case that I keep around frame in front of seat. When resting the bike I may latch it around frame and front wheel to prevent front wheel from turning.probably astu

Last edited:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Nice list I like the visor where did you get it?
Hi @Bo6. I made that visor myself out of a small sheet of .5mm carbon fiber. I used half of a manilla folder to make a pattern (it took a few tries to get it right), then cut the basic shape with tin snips and a Dremel, and sanded down the edges to its final form (120, 400, 800 grit). Wear at least an N95 mask when making carbon fiber dust.

Flying Dutchman

I'm a big fan of the Varia radar although the one with light is starting to lose its charge very quickly now (after about 2 years) if you use it with the light. A 2-hour ride and it's flat (with flashing light). So I now use it without light and have a separate rear light. (actually a helmet with built-in lights - again not necessarily to see but to be seen)

Midnight

Hi @Bo6. I made that visor myself out of a small sheet of .5mm carbon fiber. I used half of a manilla folder to make a pattern (it took a few tries to get it right), then cut the basic shape with tin snips and a Dremel, and sanded down the edges to its final form (120, 400, 800 grit). Wear at least an N95 mask when making carbon fiber dust.
I discovered the need/importance of having a visor this morning - directly into the sun! Sorry about the mispost earlier,I didn’t see the CF visor - very nice.

Bo6

I discovered the need/importance of having a visor this morning - directly into the sun! Sorry about the mispost earlier,I didn’t see the CF visor - very nice.
Thanks, never thought of making one. I'll have to get some lighter carbon cloth and make one. Think I'll try Velcro to attach as my POC has no clips.

It may be a little off topic, but I also made a visor using some carbon fiber (I was planning to cover a rear wheel - see here.) It keeps the sun off my nose and the rain off the glasses. CdA is a little lower, though.
1712188237129.jpeg
1712188410539.jpeg

cpml123

Zen MBB Master

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Question... how do you and @chicorider keep the wind from lifting the front of your helmet and also blowing off the visor? I made a visor, but the wind blows it off when I go downhill past 25mph.
For me, I think the trick is having the readrest set in a spot where my face is tilted forward enough that more air goes over the front/top of the visor, pushing down on it than the amount of air coming in under the visor to push it up. If, when going downhill, I tilt my head back/up a bit, that over/under balance will shift and the wind will catch the visor and try to pull my helmet back. But if I keep my head planted to its usual spot while going downhill, which is usually the case anyway, it's not a problem.

Tuloose

Guru
Welcome to the forums Midnight

I use a helmet with a removable, tinted eye shield. I have a dark tint for bright sun and a yellow tint for the foggy days we get here in the PNW. The shield also make it easy to wipe off condensation with my finger. The shield attaches magnetically and can be turned up with one hand while I'm riding. It's like the Giro Air Attack but is a cheaper one from Amazon with more venting.

I mount my Zefal Spy mirrors on the brifters which takes them out of the air stream. It is so easy to see what's coming up behind me that I doubt a radar system would be of much use.

I mounted a Bacchetta Brain Bag on the headrest of my V20 but that might not be possible with the adjustable head rest. Here is the link to the instructions for that: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/bag-solutions-for-vendetta-v20.13277/post-172204

As you can see I have a water bottle easily available on the boom and 2 more underseat mounts.

Once you get comfortable with the laid back positioning and the moving bottom bracket you're gonna love the speed and comfort of the Vendetta.

Midnight

Welcome to the forums Midnight

I use a helmet with a removable, tinted eye shield. I have a dark tint for bright sun and a yellow tint for the foggy days we get here in the PNW. The shield also make it easy to wipe off condensation with my finger. The shield attaches magnetically and can be turned up with one hand while I'm riding. It's like the Giro Air Attack but is a cheaper one from Amazon with more venting.

I mount my Zefal Spy mirrors on the brifters which takes them out of the air stream. It is so easy to see what's coming up behind me that I doubt a radar system would be of much use.

I mounted a Bacchetta Brain Bag on the headrest of my V20 but that might not be possible with the adjustable head rest. Here is the link to the instructions for that: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/bag-solutions-for-vendetta-v20.13277/post-172204

As you can see I have a water bottle easily available on the boom and 2 more underseat mounts.

Once you get comfortable with the laid back positioning and the moving bottom bracket you're gonna love the speed and comfort of the Vendetta.
Thanks - I did mount a bottle holder on the boom which I am able to use while riding. I may try the under seat mounts as well, looks good there to me. I’m loving it, about 150 miles in I’m many times more comfortable on it than the beginning.
Getting greedy, I also moved a set of aero carbon fiber rims to the bike with some tubeless panaracer tires. I also gained a few teeth for climbing to a 34. Looking forward to riding tomorrow