What would you do?

Rishi@Cruzbike

Hello!

I'm facing a bike buying dilemma. What I want is an S40 with Shimano R8070 DI2 Disc groupset. It will be the best bike and components I have owned.
The dilemma is, while I can ride the Cruzbike on bike trails, I'm not confident to commute on it, or healthy enough to tour on it. I'm considering getting the T50 frameset and installing the DI2 on it. Getting proficient on the T50, and when I have couple thousand miles on it, buy the S40 frameset. Migrate the components then.

The S40 frameset + R8070 groupset + the rest of the components is an expensive undertaking. Getting the groupset and T50 frameset is the way to go. Too bad they don't make a Q45 frameset.

What would you do?

:confused::emoji_beers:

Groupset below, rest of the components, TBD:

Ultegra ST-R8070 Di2 Hydro Dual Control Levers
Shimano Ultegra FD-R8050 F Derailleur
No Front Derailleur Clamp Needed
Shimano Ultegra Di2 RD-R8050 GS R Derailleur
Ultegra FC-R8000 Crankset 34x50 165mm
Shimano Ultegra SM-BBR60 Bottom Bracket English
No King Conversion Kit Needed
Shimano CS-HG800 11-spd Cassette 11-34T (requires GS rear der)
Shimano CN-HG701-11 Chain
Shimano Di2 Y-Split Rooting SS 250/350
Shimano SM-RT800 Road Disc Rotor 140mm CL
No Adapter Needed
Shimano SM-RT800 Road Disc Rotor 140mm CL
No Adapter Needed
Shimano Di2 EW-90A External Junction-A 3-Port
No Shimano Di2 EW-WU111 Needed
No Di2 Electric Wire Needed
Shimano Di2 Electric Wire MD 500mm
Shimano Di2 SM-JC41 Junction-B Unit Internal
Shimano DI2 Electric Wire SM 200mm
Shimano Di2 Electric Wire SM 350mm
Shimano Di2 Electric Wire SM 400mm
Shimano Di2 BT-DN110 Battery
PRO Di2 Battery Holder for Fork Steerer
Shimano Di2 SM-BCR2 Internal Battery Charger

LMT

Sometimes it's not about the cost but about the value. I've never ridden a T50 so cannot comment on the ride quality but the S40 which I do own is a serious piece of kit, I'd say even better than my V20, being that it is more versatile and a better overall ride being able to throw the bike about more and fit some panniers.

If you'd worried about cost fit a fit cheaper groupset like 105 mechanical. If you do buy a T50 and than a S40 and transfer the groupset what are you then going to do with the T50 framekit?

Rishi@Cruzbike

Hi Lee, I've asked myself those questions. Some of the things it comes down to are, I know I'm not fit enough to do the S40 justice. Don't want to crash on my commute on my beautiful S40. I live in hilly San Marcos, CA, and my commute is all uphill coming back.
The other thing is, I'm not too happy with the stock S40. The low and high gearing is not low or high enough.
I dislike DF bikes, but rode my brother's Giant cyclocross DI2 bike all last week, and loved the DI2. I'd get DI2 on every bike I'll ever own again.
As far as the T50 framekit, I'll just convert it to my daily shopper at the time.
I've not ridden the S40, but just reading the forums, it's the CB to get. Hopefully I can get of the fence soon, and just pull the trigger.

Thanks Lee

Rishi@Cruzbike

Hi Doug, the Thor seats are already on my list. Just not sure which one to get, the Easy GS or the Carrier. I think the Carrier may put pressure on the shoulder blades during a long ride.

Can you tell me what groupset you're using. From what I'm reading here, I don't need to have the same limitations on groupsets as a DF bike. Or is it that we're more likely to need modifications to dial in:) the recumbents to our current fitness levels.

Rishi@Cruzbike

:)I'm beginning to feel like I asked a question with just one answer.

I do have another question though;)

Did anyone buy the stock S40 and not do any upgrades during the learning curve? Or did most get the frameset.

Bill K

Guru
For commuting confidence, I do not think there will be a huge difference between learning to ride a T50 or an S40 (I've ridden both, but my first CruzBike learning experience was the V20). You will want to control your top speed on the downhills until steering and balance are subconscious, and I wouldn't ride in heavy traffic if I was wobbling up the hills at 5 mph (on any bike).
My suggestion would be to get the bike you want and ease into commuting as your confidence on the bike grows. Ride to work on a weekend day when there is little traffic so you know what to expect.

I bought the S40 frameset, but I had been riding the V20 for about 2 years so I don't have a good answer to your 2nd question.
I did buy the "stock" V20 (my choice of wheels, and Sram drive train with bar-end shifters) and made very few changes for the first 6 months or so as I learned to ride it.

Can you tell me what groupset you're using. From what I'm reading here, I don't need to have the same limitations on groupsets as a DF bike. Or is it that we're more likely to need modifications to dial in:) the recumbents to our current fitness levels.

I have a 10-speed SRAM set up on my S40. Force 50/34 cranks, 11-36 XG-1080 cassette, X0 long cage rear MTB derailleur, and 10-speed Force brifters. The 10-speed stuff used Exact Actuation for both road components and MTB components, so you could mix and match. They made road and MTB incompatible with 11-speed.

SRAM doesn't make a good 36 tooth option with their 11-speed groups. I've heard some use a Wolf Tooth Roadlink combined with an 11-speed WiFLi rear derailleur to get to 36 teeth, but it has some shifting issues.

:)I'm beginning to feel like I asked a question with just one answer.

I do have another question though;)

Did anyone buy the stock S40 and not do any upgrades during the learning curve? Or did most get the frameset.

I have a stock S40 (older model). I have been riding it since Oct with all the stock components save one minor change; I also bought a ventisit pad for it. For me, it has been great learning to ride. I am still not comfortable enough yet for a lot of road riding, but getting there. Most of my miles have been on a trainer.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'd buy all three - run tests for a couple years at every power level for all possible riding situations - then settle on the V20! (That is because after all the testing scenarios you will be super buff, and expert MBB rider and will just want to go as fast as possible. But that is just me! :rolleyes: - and everyone knows that's what I do! :eek:
In all seriousness - I would get the S40 - it is the most versatile, better ride, and seat angle is just not that much different than the T50 - so you will have the stability on the road in traffic.
(I ride the V20 on roads and in traffic, but would feel more comfortable on the S40 due to the visibility of it being higher in the air for motorists to see. (Still instal flags, lights, cameras, sirens, etc for safety)

rx7mark

Guru
Your option to start with a T50 frameset could workout. You can recoup some of the T50 frameset costs by reselling here once you get a S40 frame.

I would set up the T50 with an Emiljay mod, and the the exact gear, including the Thor seat, you would want for the S40. Then ride it and optimize the T50 for a year. You will learn a ton and become proficient with your riding skills and confidence on the bike. You might decide the T50 is enough, or you would be ready and much more knowledgable for building your S40.

My T50 gets close to a S40, but I would need a different wheelset, controls, and gearing to close the gap further. But mine was designed as a commuter and excersise bike.

Good luck with whichever plan you choose.

Mark

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Hi Doug, the Thor seats are already on my list. Just not sure which one to get, the Easy GS or the Carrier. I think the Carrier may put pressure on the shoulder blades during a long ride.

Just put the Thor Easy Seat on my S40 and what a difference. I ordered the regular Ventisit pad but found it a little rough and not very cushiony. The VS with CB pad on top is perfect. Just finished my first century ride w the setup - Redbud Ride in Kentucky - and it is worlds better. Much more support for shoulders.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
And I’ll add my vote for the S40. Have never had much luck with the philosophy of buy in low and trade up over time. I always wished I had just started out where I wanted to be eventually.

The S40 is my first bent but I adapted to it reasonably well. I’m a year in now and don’t even think about it when I hop on. Just ride. And ridefaster than I did on any of my dfs.

BikeGary

I have a S30 and a DF and a hilly commute, medium traffic but high speed roads, I just spent a lot of time in a parking lot doing slow speed drills so that it became second nature to stop from a cold start, on a hill. weave & turn etc. And practiced on the quiet roads for a couple of months before I tried commuting. And yes Saturday/Sunday rides in traffic/ With the first month I switched to commuting I gave myself extra time to figure the bike out. I second that going slow on the downhills, sit up more if you feel the speed is too much, especially in turns. It took a while but I'm now almost as confident on my S30 as I am on my DF in traffic. (but I have 40 years of DF riding and 20 commuting)

I have recently bought the 100mm extension for an even more reclined position as with my confidence I want to be able to take advantage of the bike. So go with the S40.

Let me echo the prevailing sentiment - get the S40! I got an original model with the 2x10 SRAM gearing (50/34; 11/36 with the 42 tooth "one-up" option
replacing the 36
that was available at the time ). If anything, I'd be willing to go back to the smaller 36. I hardly ever use the 42 (>17% grades). I do not own a car at the moment and commute daily to work. Once you've got the hang of the FWD-MBB, stability, handling and maneuvering in traffic all get progressively easier. I'm at least as fast as I was 30 years ago - now, anyway. When I started I hadn't ridden for 15 years and was pushing 240lbs. Riding the S40 was the most fun way to lose 75lbs I can think of and I've hardly noticed as my weekly mileage has crept up. When the bike is this much fun, you look forward to getting on it!

jphipps

I rode a Quest3 for over five years and then purchased an S40 factory build. Very nice bike, but needed to replace the seat with a Thor Carrier. I have spine problems and the carrier has helped to minimize the problems. I would suggest the S40, but put the largest slick tire that will fit your rims. ( Schwalbe makes some nice fat fast tires with some tread) This will make your uphills a little harder but when going down hill (Zoom-Zoom) it will help stabilize your ride, after you wear out those big tires transition to a smaller tire for more Zoom-Zoom. I live in Nipomo, CA. ,near SLO town, come up for a ride sometime.

3WHELZ

Guru
For its versatility, I too would recommend the S40. You can almost build it to be any almost any type of ride you prefer.

I live in Nipomo, CA. ,near SLO town, come up for a ride sometime.
My brother has an olive farm outside Paso Robles. Next time I'm down for a visit maybe I can look you up? I ride about once a week with another S40 owner up here in Eureka and its always fun going out with another CB rider.