Zwift hub?

Not much info to post yet. My Zwift hub trainer arrives tomorrow. I’ll give an update on how it works with an S40 either Sunday or Monday. It is possible I’m having too much fun riding Zwift on Sunday amd cannot post :)

Has anyone else ordered this trainer? Any experience using it with a Cruzbike or other recumbent? Any issues you needed to work around?

Hopefully we can give a one shop thread for others to learn from on this trainer. It is hard to beat the price on this thing.

The Zwift hub trainer showed up early today and I even ran out to pick up a new chain (current one is 2.5 years old and wearing out). Hoping to get to it either this evening or tomorrow AM. I am not looking forward to derailer adjustments though.

I do want to mention to nice service that Zwift has with it. So, I of course ordered through Zwift and delivery has been through UPS. Minutes after the trainer was delivered I have two emails from Zwift. One just mentioning it was delivered. Better though is the email taking you through the unboxing and installation. Just a nice touch to have this tied into the delivery system to ensure you have the latest installation information at your fingertips right when you need it.

I found some time this afternoon to mess with the trainer. Unboxing and assembly is straight forward. It took 5-10 minutes to make sure all the parts were there then attach the legs. Nothing of note.

I fought with my chain for a bit, but turned out I could not find my chain break tool anyways, so I left my existing, old chain on the S40 and set about trying to mount it. In the 4 years (I think) that I have had this bike, I don’t think I have had to attach the wheel since I first assembled it. The last chain/cassette replacement I had the shop do. Popping the front wheel off, I really hoped that the chain stays stayed together; they did. I used the cardboard cutout to measure the dropout with; 130mm seemed right. I popped on the adapter and attached the front wheel with their skewer. Once I started attaching the bike to the trainer, it took maybe 10 minutes.

originally I thought I might need to pull the post mount disc calipers off, but there was just enough clearance. I had zero issue mounting an original model S40 to the Zwift Hub and did not need to make any adjustments.

I still had time before dinner, so I updated the firmware and hopped on the bike. I like to ride out through tempus Fugit as the LAX turn around is 10km and takes 19-20 minutes to warm up a trainer. I did try to run a spin down in game and starting at speed like I have done for years on my old Wahoo Kickr Snap. After the spin down, I was down to 40w. Ok, save the session and go back to the login screens. I ran the spin down from the trainer pairing screen before jumping in game and that worked well.

Last fun part, trainer and I are warmed up, let’s do an FTP ramp test. I did one on with my Snap 2 night ago so I have a recent comparison. It’s a ramp test, not much to report about the test itself. Other than I have never hit the 300w mark (fail at 280w mark). Today, I did get up there so, FTP boost. Overall, from Kickr SNAP to Zwift Hub, I have picked up 15-20w.

The biggest difference though is the lack of noise. So much better in the house when riding!

Tomorrow is my first race with it.

Thanks @Beano !

Llama analysis speaks for itself. I know Zwift is working on some firmware adjustments and we will see if it gets better. Based on Llama’s analysis, I think I’m good. I have a long time cat D racers, so I don’t push those high watts. If I can get a few free watts uphill, I won’t complain as I can use them!

I did compete in the race yesterday morning as planned. This was the Herd HARE race (autumn series) and this week was different. It was a 50km race across Tire Bouchon in France and only primes counted; finishing position had no contribution. Being a Cat D racer with a fair sprint effort, this was perfect; 8 primes, 1x up petite KOM, 2x aqueduct, leaving 5x sprints.

The trainer performed very well. I was able to drop into supertuck after the KOM quickly. I also happened to do well in most of the sprints and aqueduct climbs. The trainer stayed quiet throughout and no signal drops.

Very pleased with the trainer.