Zwift Ride report?

CruzLike

Guru
This post might be the first of its kind. It is a ride report for Zwift rides. Wait, don't hit the back button yet. This is a multi-month project.

In early September I returned from a hiatus from my bike and also Zwift. As I logged in, I noticed all the format in the game had changed. Much of this is a great improvement. As I selected the new icons, I came across one that listed my badges. For most of us, “We don't need no stinking badges”. As I came across this screen over the course of a week. I thought how I could improve on my current position of 74 of 174 badges. As I looked at the list of badges I needed, (did not have) many were from completing routes. You ride a specific route, win a badge. This was a way for me to explore the game while getting my legs back. I needed 100 badges. I'll start a “quest” (CB word) to acquire badges. How about 100 badges in 100 days. This may be a little ambitious, especially with vacations coming. None the less, we are off.

As I write this, I'm 20 days in. I've been picking them off each day. Most of the rides are not overly taxing. Maybe 90 mins, effort at the most. I have ridden 2 routes that were off the chart as far as effort,

Effort? For each ride Zwift will assign a value of effort on a 1-5 scale. It will also list an estimated time of completion i.e. +30, <60, +90. Most of the effort values have been accurate. A 3/5 has been harder than a 2.5/5. The 2 routes I spoke of earlier, have been rated a 5/5. They were more like a 7/5. They were tough.

After a week on this quest. I attempted a level 5 ride. Ven-Top. That was a lot of riding at 5 mph. I stopped halfway up to refill my water bottles and a little sustenance. I made it to the top. A place I had never been. (not sure when I'll be back) I was tired. I knew then a little preparation was needed prior to riding the level 5 rides. They were not 2x the 2.5 rides.
Zwift - Ven-Top in France | Virtual Ride | Strava

About a week later I set out to ride “Four Horsemen”. It's the volcano, radio tower hill and Alp du Zwift. I stopped 2 hours in at the base of Alp du Zwift, to rest a little and refill my body and bottles. I got back on the bike and disaster struck. I reached for my water bottle on the shelf next to me and bumped it on to my keyboard. Out of all the keys it could have hit. It hit the one that reverses the rider's direction. Since I deviated from the course, I could not get the badge. Waaa, Waa. One thing I did receive from the ride was a badge for riding over 62mph. (100 kph) If you take a feather up radio tower hill and use it mid-way down the hill you will get that badge.
A couple days later I rode the 55 miles and 6950' of climbing in 4:35. I was blitzed.

Since then, I have continued to ride 2 and 3 level rides each day.

I will continue to keep you informed on my progress. I still have about 75 days left.

If you want to follow me in this adventure. I can be found on Zwift at “Ken Holzhausen-Cruzbike”. On Strava Strava Cyclist Profile | Ken Holzhausen

"Ride ons" are always appreciated.

Derek

Nice work. Going to be moving over to Zwift more too. Will have a look at the new badges setup. Thanks!

CruzLike

Guru
Hi All
The Quest continues. I've been steadily collecting Zwift badges. Since I had a few rest days, while away, I was especially ambitious the last 5 days. Not backing down with the chance to ride a 40-mile ride. The rides were, Dust in the Wind 33mi and 1700', PRL Half 44mi and 2900', London Pretzel 35mi. and 1600' and yesterday's Big Foot Hils 44mi and 2300'.

After grinding out 4 solid days in the saddle, my legs are feeling great. During the PRL Half, the route climbs Box hill 4 times. Unexpectedly, I set a PR climbing Box Hill on my 3rd lap. Some 30 miles in.

The last couple days I have experienced a new Zwift feature. PR Ghost rider. That is something else. It's a ghost of the best time that you rode that segment. Sometimes I tell the ghost "You're on your own" and sometimes it's "Hold my Beer". For instance, while climbing the volcano. I had not set a strong PR yet. I had climbed it about 2 minutes off my all-time best. yesterday after 30miles I cranked it up and finished the segment just 30 seconds slower than my best of 9:50. Now I have someone to chase up the mtn. :)

I hope this ambitious week pays off as this quest continues. Checking off the medium length rides to leave more easy rides in the stretch. I'm currently at 104 of 175 badges. There are at least 2 monumental rides ahead. One in London and Watopia.

CruzLike

Guru

They say, Curiosity killed the cat. Ambition almost killed me.​

In this Quest for badges (badge hunting). 120 of 175 The last month has been a little slow. I've been riding about once a week. I'm getting the to point in this journey that collecting badges will become easier. When I was collecting badges daily, my legs would not shy away from the harder rides. Some of the harder rides are epic events, not just peddle for a couple of hours and you're finished.

Because I have an optimistic view on my condition, I don't consider that my legs are any different than when I was riding daily. Yesterday I had an open schedule and thought it would be a good time to ride the PRL Full. This is my last epic ride. All the other badges I need are 2hr rides of less.

https://zwiftinsider.com/route/the-prl-full/ is 11 laps around the London loop. For those of you familiar, start at the Tower, go downtown past Big Ben, cross the Thames and climb Box Hill and back to the Tower.

I hopped on the bike at 10:30. I rode till noon and took a break to whip up some lunch and refill the water bottles. As I rode into the early afternoon I was fading. The only problem was that I had only completed half the ride. This was 107 miles and 7500 ft. of climbing.

Based on my times riding the PRL Half. I was able to estimate the PRL Full might take 6.5 hours. Because I has half done (really you could have stuck a fork in me) I thought that time was unachievable. I continued to struggle through the afternoon watching my Holo-replay finish farther ahead of me than before. By 4:30 I got to 75 miles, I was starting to plan out my evening. Thursday night I volunteer at a food pantry in town, it was obvious that I was not going to finish prior to going there. My plan was to stop, get cleaned up and eat dinner and rest. In the mean time I would leave Zwift running and hope I didn't have a power or internet outage.

At 8:30 I returned home to give the ride the knockdown punch. Everything was going as planned. I hopped on the bike and continued where I had left off. I had to climb Box Hill 3 more times. I did it while throttling my legs to 200w. I slowly ticked off the laps. By 10:30 I had crossed the finish gate on the Mall.

Reactions: ccf

trplay

Zen MBB Master
This post might be the first of its kind. It is a ride report for Zwift rides. Wait, don't hit the back button yet. This is a multi-month project.

In early September I returned from a hiatus from my bike and also Zwift. As I logged in, I noticed all the format in the game had changed. Much of this is a great improvement. As I selected the new icons, I came across one that listed my badges. For most of us, “We don't need no stinking badges”. As I came across this screen over the course of a week. I thought how I could improve on my current position of 74 of 174 badges. As I looked at the list of badges I needed, (did not have) many were from completing routes. You ride a specific route, win a badge. This was a way for me to explore the game while getting my legs back. I needed 100 badges. I'll start a “quest” (CB word) to acquire badges. How about 100 badges in 100 days. This may be a little ambitious, especially with vacations coming. None the less, we are off.

As I write this, I'm 20 days in. I've been picking them off each day. Most of the rides are not overly taxing. Maybe 90 mins, effort at the most. I have ridden 2 routes that were off the chart as far as effort,

Effort? For each ride Zwift will assign a value of effort on a 1-5 scale. It will also list an estimated time of completion i.e. +30, <60, +90. Most of the effort values have been accurate. A 3/5 has been harder than a 2.5/5. The 2 routes I spoke of earlier, have been rated a 5/5. They were more like a 7/5. They were tough.

After a week on this quest. I attempted a level 5 ride. Ven-Top. That was a lot of riding at 5 mph. I stopped halfway up to refill my water bottles and a little sustenance. I made it to the top. A place I had never been. (not sure when I'll be back) I was tired. I knew then a little preparation was needed prior to riding the level 5 rides. They were not 2x the 2.5 rides.
Zwift - Ven-Top in France | Virtual Ride | Strava

About a week later I set out to ride “Four Horsemen”. It's the volcano, radio tower hill and Alp du Zwift. I stopped 2 hours in at the base of Alp du Zwift, to rest a little and refill my body and bottles. I got back on the bike and disaster struck. I reached for my water bottle on the shelf next to me and bumped it on to my keyboard. Out of all the keys it could have hit. It hit the one that reverses the rider's direction. Since I deviated from the course, I could not get the badge. Waaa, Waa. One thing I did receive from the ride was a badge for riding over 62mph. (100 kph) If you take a feather up radio tower hill and use it mid-way down the hill you will get that badge.
A couple days later I rode the 55 miles and 6950' of climbing in 4:35. I was blitzed.

Since then, I have continued to ride 2 and 3 level rides each day.

I will continue to keep you informed on my progress. I still have about 75 days left.

If you want to follow me in this adventure. I can be found on Zwift at “Ken Holzhausen-Cruzbike”. On Strava Strava Cyclist Profile | Ken Holzhausen

"Ride ons" are always appreciated.
Wow! This might be a PBP year for you!

CruzLike

Guru
Hi All
I'm sorry that I have not updated you earlier. Through the many emails and FB posts I have received, many people have shared their interest in this Quest.

I hoped to be writing this message near the end of last year. I kind of lost the scent late last year and the Quest lingered.

A week ago, I picked up the torch again. After riding a boat around the Hawaiian Islands. I needed to get back to a normal waistline. I also had to whip my legs into shape for my coming weeklong Safari ride in Florida. Hope to see some of the readers.

I've been feeling the benefits of front loading my rides. Early on I would not shy away from a long ride. Only to leave the shorter ones later. It's later. I've had many days that I would ride 2 or 3 routes.

Believe it or not, I'm starting to see the end. I'm under 10 routes left. 3 are in Watopia, climbing the mountain each time and climbing Alp de Zwift once. I have accumulated 155 of 192 badges. Yes, I bet you are quick with math also. I don't completely understand the gap yet. There are a couple of badges that are event only. I don't think there are 20 event only badges.

If I'm lucky, one of the remaining routes in Watopia will be on the "Tour of Watopia". If so, I will benifit from a possible draft, double EX points, additional power up gates and longer power ups. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited: