10 speed compact double on S-40

jphipps

I've had my S-40 about 18 months and the shifting has always seemed a little off. Having a factory built bike I soon discovered the Sram cassette had 2-3 mm of wobble. Replaced with a XT 10 speed cassette and upgraded the Sram chain to a one piece KMC 10 speed chain. Better shifting but still some noise and drag. I accepted the situation until I read an article in Velo News about how 11 speed chains will work on 10 speed systems and add some needed tolerance back into the system. It was time to replace my current 10 speed chain so I ordered a Sram PC1130 120 link chain for about $22. Great, the chain came in my length, 120 links, so no splicing or two master links, and priced right at Worldwide Cycles. I've only used the chain for 100 miles, but have to say most of the chain noise and any shifting problems are gone, I didn't adjust either front or rear derail before putting on the 11 speed chain and it works better than the 10 speed chain. I'll have to wait to see if the 11 speed will last as many miles as a 10 speed chain, but for now it seems a better choice. I ordered two more 11speed chains today just in case.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
In theory IF the exact same chain material, same quality level, same manufacturer, etc. [Then the 10 speed should in theory last longer due to forces spread out over slightly larger surface areas rubbing against each other.] Corrected by @jond: the rubbing surfaces are the same size.

However, I would lean towards longer life from the 11 speed chain in this case because the noise being made by the old 10 speed chain indicates extra friction.

Keep us posted on the results. Either way you will have less aggravation.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
An added bonus is 11 speed is lighter lol. ;)

Rant time.ugly follows....

It’s only the plates that make the external width wider with internal same across range. Exception single speed and lower than 7 gears I think.....need to check.

Point being original cassette should not have wobbled with free play or had any gear change issue. Must have been missing 1 mm spacer and mechs out of adjustment perhaps.

Seriously though as nine speed quality becomes harder to find you are forced up the ever more fragile easy wearing gear range. Eg twistgrip xo try and find 9 speed new or a decent chain and cassette and mechs forget it. X9 maybe.

On the latest build I run 11 Spd chain and crankset with 10 speed everything else. Heck it goes the same as my 7 and 8 and 9 and 11 speed bikes I.e forwards.. I don’t need any more than 14 gears.

Where is the 11 Spd gripshift......... sram gx and capreo style hub plus new movement standard and cassette NO Thanks I want at least TWO chainrings and decent jumps across the gears not a pole vault and give me cross compatibility you sram imatating shimanos . ;)

Great we are all different. Once upon a time in a 10 Spd world there was sram exact actuation between road and mtb a dream for the bent fraternity. Now there Is gx up your eagle 12 speed puffery Pffff. Maybe sram should soul search and understand that one sponsored road cycling team is not quite enough ..........to lead me up your garden path. So send me free some etap and all is forgiven

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
jond said:
I don't need any more than 14 gears
Nor do I. That is why I like my Grasshopper's Rohloff. I do not like Disraeli gears, but if I must have them I will have a single chainwheel because double clangers makes me SICK. Therefore I got XX1 because it was the biggest number of gears I could find. They then invented the 12sp cog. I think this is wider than the 11sp so I do not think it will fit in the forks otherwise I would buy one.

You want a rant? Disraeli gears and double clangers. Bloody awful. There you go.

Oh, I forgot. I made a friction shifter. Indexing? Don't get me started.