100 miles in under 3 hours

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I certify records for WUCA and we do not certify a 100 mile distance on a 1-way course for obvious reasons (which they pointed out at the beginning of this video - they have a storm and at 28mph tailwind from the storm. they say no drafting, but they are allowing him to catch the draft of any "normal" traffic on the road, which from what I have seen is tons of large trucks.
I have no doubt he is a strong cyclist, but it would be really interesting to see what he could really do on a closed course where he just rides a continuous loop with absolutely no drafting whatsoever. Is is unfair in my opinion that they call this a non-drafting record.

The only fair way to do it is on a closed course where you start and finish at nearly the same location and absolutely no drafting. That way you can't take advantage of elevation, wind or "normal" traffic in your favor.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Before a typhoon a few years ago I had a nice tailwind that had me way over 50kph and occasionally in the 60s. It was a great ride, and even though I cleaned up a lot of KOMs on that ride, I can't be mad when other, way stronger riders do the same thing and take the KOMs.
I agree with you Larry, he is a very strong rider, but there should be an asterisk near his name on that ride. Or, make a new category for only a 1 way ride with no traffic.

279 watts for three hours! I’m happy to manage half that.
Of course you don’t need that much juice to get a WUCA record. There’s one with teen girls completing a recumbent relay across Kansas. Excellent!
I would plan my attempt using wind for help. I’d still want to maximize aerodynamics like this GCN rider did with electrical tape around the crankset. And add shoe & pedal covers, disc wheels, you name it.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
279 watts for three hours! I’m happy to manage half that.
Of course you don’t need that much juice to get a WUCA record. There’s one with teen girls completing a recumbent relay across Kansas. Excellent!
I would plan my attempt using wind for help. I’d still want to maximize aerodynamics like this GCN rider did with electrical tape around the crankset. And add shoe & pedal covers, disc wheels, you name it.
Electrical tape would be a lot cheaper than a Campagnolo Bora Ultra TT crankset, but GOODGAWD that thing is beautiful.
Campagnolo-Bora-Ultra-crankset-03.JPG

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I certainly wouldn't pass on it ;)

I do have an old set of Campy 10-speed bar end shifters in a ziplock bag that might make it onto a bike someday.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Is there any more beautiful crankset than a Gen 1 pantographed Campy C record circa 1985?

30 mph tailwind with Lorrie assist on the dual carriageway at 279 watts? meh

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Is there any more beautiful crankset than a Gen 1 pantographed Campy C record circa 1985?

30 mph tailwind with Lorrie assist on the dual carriageway at 279 watts? meh
My friend here in Japan is about done building his 90ish year old single Sunbeam. It looks gorgeous. They should make separate race classes for old bikes as well.
How about these ranging in price from about $110-$250?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 10.19.45.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 10.19.45.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

ed72

Zen MBB Master
My friend here in Japan is about done building his 90ish year old single Sunbeam. It looks gorgeous. They should make separate race classes for old bikes as well.
How about these ranging in price from about $110-$250?

There are sportif type events where the bikes have to be "old" and everyone plays dress up in ancient wool clothing. I was restoring my old circa 1971 Italian Masi Gran Criterium until I discovered recumbent bikes so to speak. I have this crank and the entire group, quite beautiful to my eye anyway, sorry way off topic. Sub 3 hours legit is damned impressive.......in a velomobile.

P1280304__53491.1531018307.jpg

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Whether it was downwind and getting help from passing vehicles, that amount of power for that long is impressive.

And those are beautiful cranks ;)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Whether it was downwind and getting help from passing vehicles, that amount of power for that long is impressive.
I certified a WUCA record this year, where the guy (Ralph) averaged over 330watts for the first 4 hours, and 287watts for the entire 24 hours! He would crush this guy!
This was on a closed loop course -a road built around a dam. One of the most incredible records I have ever certified in WUCA!
https://ultracycling.com/ralph-diseviscourt-24-hour-outdoor-track-record-attempt-july-11-12-2020/

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I certified a WUCA record this year, where the guy (Ralph) averaged over 330watts for the first 4 hours, and 287watts for the entire 24 hours! He would crush this guy!
This was on a closed loop course -a road built around a dam. One of the most incredible records I have ever certified in WUCA!
https://ultracycling.com/ralph-diseviscourt-24-hour-outdoor-track-record-attempt-july-11-12-2020/
Did you check to see if he had a big ol' "S" painted on his shirt? ;)
I just averaged 40.8kph for a bit over 26km, with a tailwind. That hurt. I can't imagine doing that for even twice as long.

ed72

Zen MBB Master

I am sure the effort was intense. He is just like a big, fit Cat 3 type guy. I probably reacting too negative due to him riding in the lane on what is the equivalent an interstate highway.

The exercise physiologists' equations say a bit more than 93% of FTP is possible for 3 hours. Some top level endurance racing coaches have told me 93% of FTP can be done for 3 hours. Certainly, 88-90% FTP for 3 hours is achievable by a fit cyclist. So, a fit rider with 310w FTP could make that power of 279 watts. There are a couple of such riders on cruzbikes. Two are not so young. A world class racer would make closer to 400 watts over 3 hours although such FIT files are hard to find, they are out there on the interwebs. Here is some data just from cruz racers. Pretty sure one or two of them can hit 279 watts (painfully) for 3 hours. On a decked out V20 with 28 mph tailwind, sub three hours would a piece of cake. I am aware of one 60+ old fat guy who can do almost 30 miles in one hour on flat, windless roads. I know of one old (over 60) upright rider who can hold that 279 watts for nearly 12 hours. That is why i indicated, "Meh"

upload_2020-11-11_6-11-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-10_11-27-45.png
    upload_2020-11-10_11-27-45.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 2

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have been watching GCN episodes of SI beating 2 roadies x pro peloton riders and then doing it again for 3... might be that new helmet (Giro Air) LOL... and that was without a rear disc wheel. Speaking of which ... that rear disc wheel that broke the record looked incredible. It had golf ball dimples all over it, the bike was an old Giant too with an updated nose cone.

Does anyone know what the disc wheel was?

Opik

There are sportif type events where the bikes have to be "old" and everyone plays dress up in ancient wool clothing. I was restoring my old circa 1971 Italian Masi Gran Criterium until I discovered recumbent bikes so to speak. I have this crank and the entire group, quite beautiful to my eye anyway, sorry way off topic. Sub 3 hours legit is damned impressive.......in a velomobile.

You can still use a Velorizontal and have fun

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I have been watching GCN episodes of SI beating 2 roadies x pro peloton riders and then doing it again for 3... might be that new helmet (Giro Air) LOL... and that was without a rear disc wheel. Speaking of which ... that rear disc wheel that broke the record looked incredible. It had golf ball dimples all over it, the bike was an old Giant too with an updated nose cone.

Does anyone know what the disc wheel was?
By chance I was looking at a local website that sells disc wheels and if I am not mistaken the dimple pattern looks very close to a Zipp Sub 9. I paused the video at about 2:30 and can at least see that it is a Zipp though.