12 years of ‘free rider’ and I finally went ebike conversion.

MailSeanBell

Well I have loved this bike for a long time. Then last winter my fat tire bike was stolen but the thief only got the bike leaving me with a 48volt battery sitting in the house. So... I bought a ‘front wheel’ hub motor and put it on the back. I mounted the controller on the back of the seat to let it cool off. I took the seat off and draped my saddle bag panniers across the bottle mounts to keep it off the tires, the battery now lives inside the bag. I zip tied them together on the bottom so they are very stable.

The little green button is the horn... cheesy but it also beeps when backing up... not that I need to back up much.

The little red button is the ‘cruise control’ so you just push the thumb throttle to where you want it and then just relax.

The brakes cut the power to the motor and if you pull gently it kicks in the regenerative braking.

I went with the thumb throttle and might add the pedal assist sensor later. So this is a goldenmotor.ca ‘black magic’ motor which runs at 1000watts and goes a little too fast to keep up with the pedalling so I need to slow it down some for the legal limits and safety but overall, it’s a great commuter bike. It’s about 16 km’s each way to work but the wind can be so bad in Southern Saskatchewan that electric assist helps me stay on time (about 3o minutes).

So... my favourite bike is now really fast! 12 years of gentle use and now it’s like having a new toy :)1D21C64A-5754-4853-B582-34B2E9FAF6FD.jpeg 3FF7C9CD-2261-4647-847C-1A3C85BF6ECD.jpeg