1st Ride

Tweed Revisited

New to Cruzbike's and recumbents. So after much reading and some searching, I bought a used Quest 3.0 last Saturday, and spent a slow week trying to ride in front of my house. My first 5 minutes were pretty unimpressive. But by Thursday, I could do figure 8's and was figuring on a long ride. The weather turning cold doesn't make going out easy. So it wasn't till late Sunday that I got everything ready to ride, over at the local bike trail and figuring on 10 miles out. I looked at those stock pedals and figured there was no way I would ride that far with them. So on went a pair of spd's and a short test ride to make sure it wasn't a fool's move.
Quest really needs a trunk mounted bike rack, which I don't have yet. So with a little breaking down, into the car it went. On the trail, the leaves are in full color, which meant there was 5 times more traffic than any other time I have ridden the trail. My steering was none too steady, and I coasted when I passed people going the other way. My timing must have been funny because I was never passed from behind and only had to pass a few bikes going my way. Still I was a road hog, and definitely a wheel wobbler for almost the whole ride. At 10 miles out I decided to make it 15, and the ride back less crowded. I got back to the parking lot and practiced turning (much easier in a large parking lot than narrow neighborhood streets).
Impressions. The quest is not slow, I was not skilled enough to really try to pedal hard, but my garmin watch always read 14 and 15mph. I lost control once, coming off a hill heading for road traffic (doesn't make one want to relax ,like it reads on the bike), but I was able to get my feet down without a crash.
By the end of the ride, I could play steering games (I usually lost). That #X$S shift knob was adjusted just so the point dug into my knee. I really don't like that shifter, SRAM what were you thinking of. I lost one of the under seat knobs. The rubber on the frame must allow for loosing and it went bye bye somewhere. 31 mile total, no major problems, fast enough, too busy trying to steer to look at the leaves and a new set of clippless pedals, all in all a pretty good ride, though I'm still wouldn't ride with road traffic.
I bought the Quest because it was available, and was wondering about the Silvio or Vendetta. I think this ride proved that one of them will be my next bike.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great job Tweed!!

We all have had similar experiences learning to ride the Cruzbike!
The Quest was probably a really good choice for a first ride on MBB Cruzbike.
I started out on a SIlvio 2.0 (28% seat incline), and it was also my first recumbent experience.
It tool me about 10 days before felt like going on the road
But after that I loved it.
Prior to that I had always road a DF. latest was a Specialized Crosstrail, and I also commuted to work in failrly high traffic,
I road the Silvio for about 3 months, and competed in my first 12 hour event. I was please to complete 237 miles.
6 weeks ago I traded my Silvio 2.0 frameset for a Vendetta 2.0 frameset.
I have not had a chance to really put the miles in on the Vendetta, but based on my power meter readings, it looks like you can get 2-3 mph more out of the Vendetta than the Silvio with the same wattage output.
I was really dialed into the SIlvio and learned how to apply my power. Changing to the Vendetta has taken me back a few steps, I think partly because the seat angle is now 20%, and it changed all the angles for power delivery a little. I can't seem to apply power to the bike as well as I did on the Silvio, but I also have not been able to ride it as much.
Now I am doing most of my miles indoor since it has turned colder, so already looking forward to the spring.
The Silvio has a little bit of suspension, but truthfully I could not really tell a whole lot of difference in the 2.
If you are looking for more speed, then I would recommend just going for the Vendetta model.
You can look around for a used V2.0 (yellow) version, or order a new V20 (red version) straight from Cruzbike.
Happy Cruzing!
Larry

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Da Knob

Sounds like you had a great first ride.

That shift knob is indeed a "challenge" There are a couple of strategies.

1) Lengthen the boom. On the 20 Quest it is easy to set the boom too short because it feels like it's getting too low to the ground. In the too short position you will still be able to ride. As you get use to the bike you'll probably find you can put it out a half to a full number. I started at 6 and now ride 7 and can ride 7.5 without and issue. The 26" is less likely to have the boom too short because you don't get the false sense that it's two low.

2) If you have the seat at 45 degree or lower; you can reverse the goose neck to bring the handle bars further back. This also lets you rotate the handle bar a little bit back (but not too far or your arms wind up too far back)

3) Loosen and rotate the shifter so the nob is further back and out of the why; It's harder to shift then but you get use to it; and it beat knee strike.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Tweed, you did excellent. You

Tweed, you did excellent. You are well on your way to having a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

Just for the record. There is a learning experience with any 2 wheeled recumbent. They all feel odd at first, even the Tour Easy, which in my opinion is the easiest recumbent to learn in this universe. With about 5500 miles exclusively to date on both the Silvio and vendetta, I'm about as jelled as you can get, I guess. Feel confident under any circumstances. Well, funny thing, I was out on a ride yesterday with Tc, my wife. She was having shifting problems on her Tour Easy. So I quickly jumped on and sped off, well kind of. I was very wobbly with the front wheel weaving from side to side. I found I couldn't help my self but to use my arms to counter steer. It's a completely automatic thing that just happens over time. I owned a Tour Easy and have almost 3 years of riding experience on it.
I bought the Quest because it was available, and was wondering about the Silvio or Vendetta. I think this ride proved that one of them will be my next bike.
I can't comment on the comparison going from Q to S or V. Bob and some other can. I would love to hear how the ride and feel differs between the Q and S.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bob, I'm imagining, with that

Bob, I'm imagining, with that setup you could ride year round? How about a quad with 4 wheel drive MBB + RWD = 4 wheels to get traction in the snow, no?

Yeah, on my DF mountain bike, with 2.3" low pressure knobbies, I an descend as fast as the bike will let me, but I'm catching so much air with my upright-body, it's slows me way down.

I'm betting on you getting bored this winter, and building one these monsters. But you better get started, the snow will be gone before you know it.

Wonder why the Quest would feel more twitchy for Mrs. Ratz?

I hope to try a Quest someday, and maybe get my wife upgraded from the Tour Easy to a Quest?!?

ratz

Subjective Subjective.

The 20 inch Quest is a go-kart.
The 26 inch Quest is a Entry Level road bike / 1st class touring bike (depending on configuration)
The Silvio 2.1 is road bike with aero bars, but rides like a 1975 Cadillac
The Vendetta 2.0 is something all together unique

I find the Quest dead simple to ride and it improves my overall technique because I do stupid gravel riding with it and lots of 90 degree turns on the MUP at speed. There is no way I'd bomb our MUP at speed on the Silvio or the 26 inch quest; I don't think twice on the quest 20. Mrs Ratz finds Q twitcher than her Silvio but that didn't stop her from doing a half mile gravel descent; in the woods in the dark at 8pm at night. She says she did it on purpose to see what it was like. I says she got lost and had no choice. Quest for ice ream proves it dam hard to catch her on the Q though.

That's funny about the Tour Easy. I got on a Baron Cougar and found the same thing; I kept trying to counter steer; wobble wobble wobble. Those rear wheel recumbent sure are twitchy;

What I really want; is John to look at the new ICE fat trike; and take the quest and give us a front fort that will take those tires. The rear is already big enough I think for the tire..... If I get bored this winter I think I'm going to have to find a fork that works and start hunting for a used Q1 to do that too. The wheel are already the right color. Just imagine a quest with these tires.... Rick could do the the descent from the dam at speed on those tires.

To quote Jane from Firefly; I'll be in my bikeshop.

Full%20Fat%201(1).jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm not discounting how nice

I'm not discounting how nice it is to have >= 3 wheels when it's crappy out, but a fatbike Cruzbike would be pretty frickin' cool. Too bad the conversion kit isn't wide enough...

Just sayin'...

ratz

It's close
The Darryl won't

It's close

The Darryl won't fit; it's a 559m but it's 82mm wide
http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/rolling_darryl

But he Marge Lite is 559; and 65mm wide.
http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/marge_lite

But someone is making 20 in tires. This would have been fun with a conversion kit.....
pTRU1-18183756enh-z6.jpg

billyk

Guru
Agree about the shifter knob

I had the same problem of the shifter knob hitting my knee painfully. Fixed it by getting a steeper stem riser, which lifted the bars up a bit and solved it. I think the boom length should be adjusted to your leg, not extra because of this design problem.

I posted about this here a few months back. Others commented about remounting the bars backwards.

In general, searching this forum is a good way to research these kinds of problems. We've all been there, and are a pretty verbose bunch!

BK