2-legged kickstand DOES NOT WORK on Quest 559!

billyk

Guru
A few weeks or months ago, there was discussion here about an alternate kickstand with 2 legs that would hold the bike without swinging the front end around to the side. I thought I'd try it as friendlier for bike stands. I bought one from ebay and the link is down, but you can find it by googling "New bicycle bike adjustable double two leg aluminum alloy kick stand in black". It's cheap ($23 US), and indeed very light, appears sturdy.

But ... it has two fatal problems for the Quest 559:
1) It cannot fold up (for riding) without hitting the wheel
2) Unfolded, it is not long enough to touch the ground

Both these problems could be worked around by shimming the mount by 2.5 inches (if you can call than "shimming"). And getting a very long bolt to hold it. But aside from being absurd, any lightweight solution would not be very sturdy.

I suspect this will work on the Quest 451, the smaller wheels improving both problems, and indeed, the earlier discussion was in the context of the 451.

So don't buy it if you have the larger wheels! And if anyone with 451 wheels wants mine, we can talk.

Billy K

jwitten

Yeah, I didn't think it would

Yeah, I didn't think it would work well with the 26" Quest. I had to shim the Ursus Jumbo by over an inch on the 451 model to make it work. The Ursus is heavy, but its nice wide stance provides great stability for the assembly/dissassembly of the Quest, which I do quite often, so I am still using it. Most people wouldn't be interested in the Ursus stand, as it probably weighs 2 to 3 times as much as the other alloy double stands. I actually did buy one of these stands for my Sofrider, and while it fit well (with the proper height), the bike would tip over when the wheel swung around. The wider stance of the Ursus Jumbo keeps this from happening. I also found that the double kickstand interfered with placing the rear forks into by rooftop rack, so all and all, it was a failed experiment.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Maybe Hebie double kickstand will work?

Maybe Hebie double kickstand will work?

alt="Hebie double legged bicycle kickstand"
9090cd3ff6.gif

I bought mine here: http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=hebie&category_id=0&product_id=85

See more in this thread http://www.cruzbike.com/kickstand

jwitten

Probaby not on the 559

The problem with the 559 Quest regarding the use of these stands is that the mounting point for the kickstand appears significantly higher than most bikes. It is doable with a shim on the 451, but it just sits too high on the 559.