200 km Randonneur Portes de Champagne March ’24 [FR]

IyhelM

Quick report of this brevet that took place last Saturday in France, close to Paris.
It was organised by none others than the Audax Club Parisien, in charge of the famous PBP and numerous other long distance events.

This was only my second 200km (the first one was in 2021 with an overloaded Azub TRIcon) but I have planned several ones over the coming weeks as part of my training for the Dragon Ride in June. I chose it as it was not too far from home, weather promises looked okayish and elevation was decent but reasonable (6500 ft… it will be double for the Dragon Ride :eek:). The idea was to assess my fitness level - spoiler: not there yet :D

So I spend the night at a friend’s in Paris and took an early suburb train to Marne-la-Vallée (where Disneyland sits) and arrived there, with 300 other riders, around 7am. There was a very long queue to get our ride book and a coffee before going, eventually I left at 7:50. The weather was cold due to sustained wind but otherwise nice. Apart from the first and last 20 km, the roads were rolling along gentle hills, on the fringes of the Champagne vineyard (hence the name), with limited traffic. The only drawback on the day was that we basically rode headwind for 2/3 of the day - I would not have enjoyed riding a DF!
I started alone, as usual in this kind of event you make plenty of friends along the way but being one of the 2 only recumbents, it is obviously not easy to stay in the same DF group. Luckily after 115 km I caught up with another Cruz rider and we rode together for next 70k. The path went through a number of small towns and villages so we had plenty of occasions to resupply.
After the second checkpoint, at K158, it started drizzling, more and more as time passed, the roads also became bumpy, we got back to ugly suburbs so not the best way to finish the day but it was good to get up the bike. No showers to my dismay but hummus sandwiches and good beer made up for it.

I spent 9h40 on my seat and finished in a total 11h10 which is both a huge improvement over my ’21 brevet (not such a feat… my trike was probably weighting 30kg at the time! I completed that brevet in 12h50, with only 40 min margin before cut time!) and a slight disappointment considering my current setup and my supposed form… but with so much wind it’s not so bad.

Then, back to the train, delays due to bad weather brought me home only after 11pm and 15 last km under heavy rain but happy of my ride.
Back to training now!

Here is a quick (bad) video of the ride:

IyhelM

Two Cruzbikes, interesting.
On brevets here you’ll usually meet mostly Pelsos and M5, sometimes a few Bachettas, maybe old Barons.
My pal Kim Minh who rode this one used to have a Bachetta, he switched 18 months ago when his frame broke down.

JerseyJim

Thank you for the video! It looked like a lovely early season ride. The scenery brought back memories of PBP.
Your handlebar setup is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen someone reverse flat bar brake levers as you have done. That's cool. Recumbent riders are super creative. It's also nice to see a Silvio 2.X being ridden in a brevet. On closer inspection I think that's an S30 version 1. Does your front shock still work?

Oh, and congratulations on finishing your 200k. You are one step closer to complete a full series this year. I wish you well if that is your goal.

Last edited:

IyhelM

Thanks.
About the handlebars setup, can’t claim it’s my own, that’s the setup Bentoline, the French reseller, came up with in 2015 when he first imported the bike - see here.
The previous owner had replaced it with a gravel dropbar but the barend shifters were poking in my ribs when turning! And I like it better with the bullhorn bars, my hands are further away and my arms more relaxed. At some point I’ll probably replace the levers by full sized ones, one of the previous owners cut them but it’s a bit too short for my large hands.
Front shock still working well.
Don’t want to open the designation wormbag of this peculiar iteration of the Silvio… its short career was under the name S30 (as webarchive can attest) but most will call it 2.2 or 3.0 and start building a pyre if you suggest otherwise

Last edited:

IyhelM

Oh, and congratulations on finishing your 200k. You are one step closer to complete a full series this year. I wish you well if that is your goa
Thanks, no full series for me, I draw the line at daylong rides, maybe I’ll try a 400k once but longer distances are for people bolder (and madder) than me
I’m preparing for the GranFondo of the Dragon Ride in Wales next June, that’s crazy enough for my taste as it is

Flying Dutchman

Thanks, no full series for me, I draw the line at daylong rides, maybe I’ll try a 400k once but longer distances are for people bolder (and madder) than me
I’m preparing for the GranFondo of the Dragon Ride in Wales next June, that’s crazy enough for my taste as it is
Good luck with the climbing, there are some serious inclines on that route!