2022 Natchez Trace event

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
September 30, 2022 - October 2, 2022
Natchez Trace Pkwy Franklin TN
cost: $400

I just registered for this event, but it was not easy - they want you to earn it:
https://www.raceacrossoregon.com/nt444.html
If you go to this page it says the event is sold out and there is a waiting list.
I emailed the race director at (raogeorge@gmail.com) and asked to be put on the waiting list - and he sent me a password for it.
..but.. there was not a link anywhere on the page that directs you to the registration site. So, I hunted through some of the other events this guy does and found he uses BikeReg.com. I went there and searched for "Natchez" which pulled up the correct registration for the event where I was able to use the pw given.
The registration page says the field is limited to 55 participants.
It appears that I was 52 so it looks like there are only 3 more slots left.
So ... if you considering this event for 2022 I highly suggest you email the event coordinator for a registration pw.
Take Care and see you there!
Larry

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Just perused this event's website ...

My thoughts ...
The event rules look like a contradiction of the National Park rules ...
Rangers making exceptions ...?

$400 !?! Entry for law breaking?

That said, think I'll skip this event .

FYI: I've traveled from Indiana 3 times to pedal the Trace looping Tennessee. Which is in my opinion the best part of the Natchez Trace from my research.

Why don't we Cruzers just meet sometime in Franklin. TN and pedal on our own however far we want to use the Trace?

Again FYI ... Tennessee is hilly while Alabama and Mississippi gets pretty flat along with locals using the Trace as a state road. Speeders galore. And if memory serves, cyclists getting hit are pretty much on the southern part .

What'cha think ...
ID

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Alabama and Mississippi gets pretty flat along with locals using the Trace as a state road. Speeders galore.
True. Used to have park rangers constantly patrolling the area around Jackson, no one dared break the speed limit because they cut you no slack. Federal budget cuts around 2008 stopped that. I practically never see a ranger up there during rush hour any more, on the rare occasion when I have to take that route to or from work. We reliably see rangers at organized event rides, a few Saturday mornings a year, who drive back and forth yelling at us to stay single file, and in groups of 6 or fewer at least 100 yards apart. Though they are good about pulling over motorists who don't behave well.

if memory serves, cyclists getting hit are pretty much on the southern part .
Probably true, I think we have about one a year in central Mississippi, and maybe one up around Tupelo/northeast Mississippi.

There was a huge deal in 2017 on the Tennessee end, with a hit-and-run by some (possibly drunk?) school administrator who pretended he didn't know he'd hit anyone, then claimed the cyclist "threw" his bike into the side of the driver's car.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Castle
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I REALLY have enjoyed the times I have pedaled on the Natchez Trace National Park.
ID

Tim Lyke

September 30, 2022 - October 2, 2022
Natchez Trace Pkwy Franklin TN
cost: $400

I just registered for this event, but it was not easy - they want you to earn it:
https://www.raceacrossoregon.com/nt444.html
If you go to this page it says the event is sold out and there is a waiting list.
I emailed the race director at (raogeorge@gmail.com) and asked to be put on the waiting list - and he sent me a password for it.
..but.. there was not a link anywhere on the page that directs you to the registration site. So, I hunted through some of the other events this guy does and found he uses BikeReg.com. I went there and searched for "Natchez" which pulled up the correct registration for the event where I was able to use the pw given.
The registration page says the field is limited to 55 participants.
It appears that I was 52 so it looks like there are only 3 more slots left.
So ... if you considering this event for 2022 I highly suggest you email the event coordinator for a registration pw.
Take Care and see you there!
Larry
Larry,

Are you still riding Natchez 444 this year? (2022)

LarryOz

I just talked to the Natchez organizer. He confirmed my registration and said that the list that is showing up on the web-site is last years list - He will be publishing this year's list soon.

LarryOz

Today (in a few short hours)I will be attempting the Natchez Trace 444 event. Yeah - 444 miles on a single road with no stop signs or stop lights and only 16,000 ft of climbing. Almost flat! haha. Starts in Nashville, TN, ends up in Natchez, MI

There are about 40 riders (some in 2x teams), and we are released starting at 7:45am (CST), going off about every 10 mins or so until 12:15pm
They are releasing everybody in reverse order of their estimated completion time - longest first..
Here is a link to the website: https://www.raceacrossoregon.com/nt444.html

I start at 12:40pm EST - I will have a tracker on me - Betsy & Robbie Robins are my crew
You can track me at this link: https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/nt444/

The max allowable time is 44 hours. I am hoping to break 24 hours - I think the solo record is 21'sh. I have already spent more time planning, tuning, and packing than I will riding tomorrow. haha

Say a prayer for my safety and Gayle's sanity for letting me do this! :)
See you at the end
Larry

20220929_064148.jpg20220929_160002.jpg

Best of luck!

(I live somewhat close to the Natchez Trace, and wish I could be there to cheer you on in person. But I've got a weekend of stuff going on. Gotta give you my virtual cheer!!)

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Way to go! And, dang...that's a super-fine machine he was riding!!
The wind and steep downhills were making Magic unstable. He had to switch to his V20c after about 20 miles. (That V20c is pretty fine, too.)

It was a blast to watch Larry passing other riders on uphills. After the ride, I overheard a member of one of the teams telling him how hard the team had to work to catch him.

LarryOz

The wind and steep downhills were making Magic unstable. He had to switch to his V20c after about 20 miles. (That V20c is pretty fine, too.)

It was a blast to watch Larry passing other riders on uphills. After the ride, I overheard a member of one of the teams telling him how hard the team had to work to catch him.
Super Kudos to Betsy and her husband Robbie for crewing for me. It was 24-hour/ non-stop mayhem! They did not sleep and neither did I. It was a total team effort - and I could not have accomplished anything without them

LarryOz

Here is my ride report from my successful sub-24-hour completion of the 2022 Natchez Trace ride.
Larry with NT444 Jersey and Medal.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Awesome write-up Larry. I am thrilled that you saved your "crash" for right next to the van as opposed to on Magic at the beginning! Nicely done.

Have you had those kind of headrest issues outside of learning to ride? Those elevation charts are kind of scary = v20c climbing.