2023 Race the Lake, any other Cruzbike owners going?

Just wondering if anyone else from the community was going to participate in this race. It is well organized and a beautiful way to spend your day. Generally the riders who are in pain the entire way do not mind if you join the peloton, I always offer to lead for awile but they say its not necessary. I join wave 7 and we average around 22 to 25 MPH the entire way (40 miles in) until Highcliffe State park when I run out gas. Last year I was top recumbent ( only 3 were there), finished in 5 hours 29 minutes. Going for sub 5 hours this year.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Wisconsin. You ride around Lake Winnebago. It's pancake flat until the state park which they call High Cliff but should really be call steep hill. These are my old stomping grounds Grandma lived at the top of the so called cliff, so if you want the insider info just ask.

Ok so i met my goal and shaved 41 minutes of my time from last year. 4 hours 48 minutes from 5 hours and 29 minutes last year. Once again i was the top performing recumbent and this time the only Cruzbike entry. Goal for next year is to shave another 30 minutes off my time. Goal will be 4 hours and 15 minutes. I am planning to purchase a trainer for this winter and introduce strength training into my repertoire.

Attachments

• pic from 2023 race the lake 2.JPG
    pic from 2023 race the lake 2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 48
  • pic from 2023 race the lake 3.JPG
    pic from 2023 race the lake 3.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 47
  • pic from 2023 race the lake 5.JPG
    pic from 2023 race the lake 5.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 49
  • pic from 2023 race the lake 4.JPG
    pic from 2023 race the lake 4.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 46
I saw you last year at the beginning of the race. I was riding the blue S40. Couldn’t do the race this year because I had neck surgery. Hope to be there next year and perform better. It was nice to see another Cruzbike there. You are to fast for me.

RobertM

Andrew;
Congratulations on your ride.
If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious about what I assume is a sun hoodie that you are wearing in the photos. I have some that I use for paddling, but they don't breath worth mentioning and am looking for something for riding. What are you wearing, and do you like it?

Thanks

Andrew;
Congratulations on your ride.
If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious about what I assume is a sun hoodie that you are wearing in the photos. I have some that I use for paddling, but they don't breath worth mentioning and am looking for something for riding. What are you wearing, and do you like it?

Thanks
I use something like a Buff.
My current favorite is one made of a single layer is t-shirt material. You could sew a tube from an old favorite.
1692889245839.jpeg

I have fair/pale skin and do not like to wear sunscreen so i try to cover my entire body. I also sweat quite a bit and this shirt does the trick perfectly. It's a long sleeve shirt with a skintight hoodie found on amazon.com. Unintended benefits are that it keeps bugs out of my mouth, and it helps encourage me to breath in through nose and out thru mouth. If i don't control my breathing well my glasses fog up and i re-focus. This has also increased my average heartrate to about 155 beats for an entire ride instead of a low 135. I just wish the shirt came in better colors. I only have red and white. I wear the white in temps over 50 degrees and during the winter i wear the red.

Ok so i met my goal and shaved 41 minutes of my time from last year. 4 hours 48 minutes from 5 hours and 29 minutes last year. Once again i was the top performing recumbent and this time the only Cruzbike entry. Goal for next year is to shave another 30 minutes off my time. Goal will be 4 hours and 15 minutes. I am planning to purchase a trainer for this winter and introduce strength training into my repertoire.
I can’t help but think moving that water bottle from the rear stays to behind the head will save you time.

Reactions: M.J
well, you are correct but that's where my 5 lights go so i don't get killed riding on these Wisconsin roads. I am continuously adjusting where i put my water bottles. I am close to getting my food correct on longer rides i may place them back under my seat. Still experimenting

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
And here I thought the face mask was Lake Winnebago protection........

Winnebago means "Stinking Waters," and it's well-earned for those not from the area.
It is also oddly applicable to the grey water in the RV's by the same name. ;)

M.J

I can’t help but think moving that water bottle from the rear stays to behind the head will save you time.
For sure. Big bottles in that position/orientation are an absolute parachute.
That looks like a fun event! I have an upright roadie friend who has done it the last couple years and he has good things to say about it.

CuHead

Is that shoe cleat position for hot foot? Seems way too close to the arch. Move cleat toward ball of foot to develop spring in your cadence and shave time.